Jalen Steele Being courted by others

Droxside

This is to be expected. I'm sure some of our other signees have been contacted. We just have to hope they hang in there until we hire a new coach.

Can they do that? He is signed to a letter of intent. I realize that we could let him out, but until then isn't he off limits?

Have to hand it to Lebo on this one. No one else noticed him until he lit up the high school playoffs other than people associated with him or played against him. However that was Lebo's problem as well. He recruited the same way he did at Chattanooga.

Have to hand it to Lebo on this one. No one else noticed him until he lit up the high school playoffs other than people associated with him or played against him. However that was Lebo's problem as well. He recruited the same way he did at Chattanooga.

That's not exactly true. I live in Tennessee. You do not get to be a "Mr. Basketball" finalist with no one noticing you.

When a coaching change occurs, the NCAA will allow players that signed a LOI to transfer without penalty. I'm not even sure that Auburn has to grant a release.

At least that's the way I read it a couple of years ago. That could have changed in the interim.

Well isnt this great. Dude is a freakin STUD. I really really hope we can hold on to him. He needs to come for auburn though if hes coming not because of a coach.

Mike P, that is not entirely true.  They can transfer and play IF the first school releases him or he transfers and sits a year.

When a coaching change occurs, the NCAA will allow players that signed a LOI to transfer without penalty. I'm not even sure that Auburn has to grant a release.

At least that's the way I read it a couple of years ago. That could have changed in the interim.

I`m pretty sure a release has to be granted and also that a team can`t contact a player but a player can contact another team. I`ll see what I can track down.

A team does have to grant a release. The player has to request it and it can be denied by the original institution and then the player can appeal. Most teams probably grant them to keep down bad publicity. A school can grant a request either by waiving the one year waiver rule or they can not grant the waiver whereas the player must sit one year. i would imagine that might be used in the case of a player asking a release to go to a rival school. Just a guess on that part. The SEC may have some rules in place also apart from the NCAA about in-conference transfers.

I believe this is not a big deal cuz he is quoted as saying "I'm going to see who the new coach is going to be"

I'm sure he'll stay because our new coach will be great whoever it is

Hope you're right.  With Smith's more forceful denial today, I think that ship has sailed.  Time to move on to El Paso.

He would have to be released from his scholarship or not enroll and sit till the next academic year according to the auburnundercover.com article. The coaching change has no impact. The LOI is with the institution, not the coach.

He would have to be released from his scholarship or not enroll and sit till the next academic year according to the auburnundercover.com article. The coaching change has no impact. The LOI is with the institution, not the coach.

If he asked to be let out of his LOI Auburn would let him out.  It's the classy thing to do when there is a coaching change

Correct about release. A school can waive the year sitting out rule when granting a release  but would probably do so under extenuating circumstances. If he leaves with no release, I think he can still transfer but has to pay his on way for a year before he becomes eligible. he can also appeal if no release is granted.

Correct about release. A school can waive the year sitting out rule when granting a release  but would probably do so under extenuating circumstances. If he leaves with no release, I think he can still transfer but has to pay his on way for a year before he becomes eligible. he can also appeal if no release is granted.

The appeal would more than likely be denied unless there is some family situation that calls for him needing to be closer to home. This would not be the case. The LOI clearly states that player signs with the institution and not the coach. A coaching change has no impact being that it happens quite often. UAB faced a similar situation last year with D. Cousins. On the condition of him signing early, he wanted the school to  put in writing that he would be allowed to transfer to another school if M. Davis got another job elsewhere. The NCAA does not allow schools to do this. Because he couldn't get this guarantee he decided against signing with UAB and committed with Memphis and then changed to Kentucky when Calipari got that job.

The appeal would more than likely be denied unless there is some family situation that calls for him needing to be closer to home. This would not be the case. The LOI clearly states that player signs with the institution and not the coach. A coaching change has no impact being that it happens quite often. UAB faced a similar situation last year with D. Cousins. On the condition of him signing early, he wanted the school to  put in writing that he would be allowed to transfer to another school if M. Davis got another job elsewhere. The NCAA does not allow schools to do this. Because he couldn't get this guarantee he decided against signing with UAB and committed with Memphis and then changed to Kentucky when Calipari got that job.

I would have no problem with a release being granted if the player was not going to sign with another SEC school. Otherwise he would have to sit a year on his own money.

This is a big no-no, schools are not allowed to contact individuals once they sign a LOI. Alabama is on double top secret probation right?  This should be sent directly to the SEC office for investigation, and if Georgia and Alabama violated the rules they should be punished. Alabama should probably be just shut down. 

According to a poster on another board Salter posted on his Facebook that he was going to start looking around.

He can't do that, and apparently doesn't realize that fact. An Auburn employee needs to make a quick stop by his place and show his LOI to him. This part: "You have signed with an institution, not a coach...."

According to a poster on another board Salter posted on his Facebook that he was going to start looking around.

He can't do that, and apparently doesn't realize that fact. An Auburn employee needs to make a quick stop by his place and show his LOI to him. This part: "You have signed with an institution, not a coach...."

The player can contact other schools on his own. The schools can't contact the player but they can judge interest through his high school or AAU coach.

Archived