Game thread - 4/3/10

Oh, and another thing. Why does Pawlowski insist on pulling Nelson in favor of the bullpen? I just saw on Gametracker where Nelson was pulled in the 7th after getting an out and giving up a single, and we had a 4-3 lead at the time. The bullpen then went on to give up 3 in that inning. Last week, Pawlowski pulled Nelson in the 8th in his start against S. Car. after Nelson had gotten an out in the 7th and had given up 1 hit and 1 run! And what added to it was the fact that Nelson had thrown less than 80 pitches through 7 1/3 last week, so it wasn't like his pitch count was through the roof. I just don't understand. Maybe his pitch count was higher today and he was tiring, but Pawlowski's quick hook with Nelson is just something I've noticed recently. I'd take my chances with Nelson in the 7th inning over ANYTHING we have in the bullpen. Our relief pitching is putrid! But hey, once again, I'm not the coach.

Oh, and another thing. Why does Pawlowski insist on pulling Nelson in favor of the bullpen? I just saw on Gametracker where Nelson was pulled in the 7th after getting an out and giving up a single, and we had a 4-3 lead at the time. The bullpen then went on to give up 3 in that inning. Last week, Pawlowski pulled Nelson in the 8th in his start against S. Car. after Nelson had gotten an out in the 7th and had given up 1 hit and 1 run! And what added to it was the fact that Nelson had thrown less than 80 pitches through 7 1/3 last week, so it wasn't like his pitch count was through the roof. I just don't understand. Maybe his pitch count was higher today and he was tiring, but Pawlowski's quick hook with Nelson is just something I've noticed recently. I'd take my chances with Nelson in the 7th inning over ANYTHING we have in the bullpen. Our relief pitching is putrid! But hey, once again, I'm not the coach.

You beat me to the MILLION DOLLAR Question. My husband and I were just talking about that. It has cost us two or three games already. Somebody tell me why he insists on pulling him.

I don't know what makes me madder, Auburn's play on the field, or the fact that I expected this year to be any different than the past 6.  It is so frustrating to see a team go out and get beat again and again because of poor pitching and poor fundamental baseball.

I truly do not know what it will take to fix this baseball program.  Our big bats come up short and our pitching and defense consistently fail at critical points in the game.  Unbelievable.  We will be lucky to win 1 of our next 4 conference games.

I didn't watch, but my guess is his pitch count is what resulted in pulling him.  The days of ignoring the pitch count in favor of sticking with the "hot" pitcher are over (thankfully).

I didn't watch, but my guess is his pitch count is what resulted in pulling him.  The days of ignoring the pitch count in favor of sticking with the "hot" pitcher are over (thankfully).

He threw 88 pitches in 6-1/3 innings.  That is not bad at all.  Anything under 15 pitches per inning is very good.  He still looked pretty strong to me.  He wasn't missing his spots as tired pitchers do.

He threw 88 pitches in 6-1/3 innings.  That is not bad at all.  Anything under 15 pitches per inning is very good.  He still looked pretty strong to me.  He wasn't missing his spots as tired pitchers do.

Exactly. And like I said earlier, he was pulled after throwing less than 80 pitches in 7 1/3 in his start before this one against S. Car.  It's not pitch count so I don't know what's going on.

Looks like we will be in a battle with Miss.State for the eighth spot in the conference, however even if we do get it that's as far as we go. No clutch hitting and bad defense doesn't win many baseball games. Looks like more same ole same ole. No regionals again and hoover very much in doubt. :timeout:

Archived