Don't wanna get ahead of myself....

TigerPaw1

but of all the recent hirings by JJ i think this may end up being the biggest landing. Barbee is the definition of an elite coach. He comes in and within a few weeks lands the top kid in the state and sets us up nicely with two of the top prospects for the upcoming year. Then go after one the highest rated kids in the country and get him to visit Auburn and go from not even thinking about us to people saying he's ours to lose. With a new arena and some good young talent I think there has never been as exciting time for Auburn basketball. I went to pretty much all of the home games the last two years and I saw a team with talent and heart but just lacked that extra level and I think Barbee is bringing it. Now he could end up being a bust.... But if I had to bet who was the best hire by Jacobs my money would be on Tony! War Eagle!

but of all the recent hirings by JJ i think this may end up being the biggest landing. Barbee is the definition of an elite coach. He comes in and within a few weeks lands the top kid in the state and sets us up nicely with two of the top prospects for the upcoming year. Then go after one the highest rated kids in the country and get him to visit Auburn and go from not even thinking about us to people saying he's ours to lose. With a new arena and some good young talent I think there has never been as exciting time for Auburn basketball. I went to pretty much all of the home games the last two years and I saw a team with talent and heart but just lacked that extra level and I think Barbee is bringing it. Now he could end up being a bust.... But if I had to bet who was the best hire by Jacobs my money would be on Tony! War Eagle!

I love what Barbee has done in his short time, but the important thing is that Jacobs has flat out done an amazing job in hiring Football, Basketball and Baseball head coaches the last few years as Auburn is headed for top notch programs in all three. I'll leave it up to others to talk about the other sports, but AU is primed to compete for championships on a national level in the three major sports. I am not sure how we can say one is better then the other, but it is an interesting topic...

Amaizingly, less than 2 years ago, the boards were teaming with criticizm of Jay Jacobs.  Just as with Coach Chizik, things seem to be turning out better than anyone excpected.  Good going, JJ.

Just out of curiosity, did Jay Jacobs hire our women's BB coach?  I think she is great.  After a rebuilding year last season, I hope that program comes roaring back this season. 

WDE!!!!! :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

Amaizingly, less than 2 years ago, the boards were teaming with criticizm of Jay Jacobs.  Just as with Coach Chizik, things seem to be turning out better than anyone excpected.  Good going, JJ.

Just out of curiosity, did Jay Jacobs hire our women's BB coach?  I think she is great.  After a rebuilding year last season, I hope that program comes roaring back this season. 

WDE!!!!! :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

I'm pretty sure Fortner was hired right before Jacobs got here.  The same can be said with Lebo and Slater, so they got one right out of the 3 hirings that year.  For all the stuff that is said about JJ, he has done a pretty good job.  The only knock I can possibly see on him is possibly giving a coach too much time to turn it around.  Lebo was well past his window to have a successful team, but it may end up being a very good thing because we ended up with a great coach.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of previous teams having talent. Heart? Yes. Talent. Not so much.

Thanks for the info, Indy.  I thought Nell Fortner was hired before JJ, but I wasn't sure.  Thanks for filling in her name, too.  It just wouldn't pop into my mind.  Anyway, I thinks she is awsome.  I surely hope the women's BB team has a big comeback this year.

I was AMAZED last year when DeWanna Bonner was playing in the women's NCAA tourney in March and was playing for what turned out to be the WNBA championship team in June.  I've always been more of a football fan, where things move more slowly.  Good Grief!  Basketball can move fast!

Excellent post TigerPaw. Couldn't agree more or said it better myself. Many people may say we're getting ahead of ourselves, but I think Tony Barbee will be the most successfull basketball coach in AU history. He has an unbelievable personality and is just what we needed. He's not arrogant. He's not too good to talk to you...And he's busting his butt in recruiting and has since he walked in the door. In my opinion, we got a huge coup in Tony Barbee.

I love what Barbee has done in his short time, but the important thing is that Jacobs has flat out done an amazing job in hiring Football, Basketball and Baseball head coaches the last few years as Auburn is headed for top notch programs in all three. I'll leave it up to others to talk about the other sports, but AU is primed to compete for championships on a national level in the three major sports. I am not sure how we can say one is better then the other, but it is an interesting topic...

Good post Droxide. The Jay Jacobs bashers need to take a break. None of us thought Gene Chizik was going to be as good as he's turned out to be. Double J did. Tony Barbee is a HUGE coup. Jacobs is doing a heck of a job if you asked me.

I'm pretty sure Fortner was hired right before Jacobs got here.  The same can be said with Lebo and Slater, so they got one right out of the 3 hirings that year.  For all the stuff that is said about JJ, he has done a pretty good job.  The only knock I can possibly see on him is possibly giving a coach too much time to turn it around.  Lebo was well past his window to have a successful team, but it may end up being a very good thing because we ended up with a great coach.

You may be right about Double J giving coaches too much time, but I'd rather him be that way and day of the week than to get rid of guys before they have a chance to really prove themselves. We could do a lot worse than Double J in my opinion.

Not doubt Jay Jacobs has gone from in the fire to roasting marshmellows. I've always beleived you really have to wait about three years to see how good a hire someone is, but right now its looking good for every hire he has made. I'll will give him lots of props!! WE J

Archived