2012 Georgia DB Geno Smith

Tiger Growlin

It is hard to tell how many scholarships bama have to offer this year. On sportscall yesterday, they were talking about bama being over the 85 limit by one or two right now. Jordan Jenkins doesn't have a written offer from bama even though he lists them in his top 2. One of Jenkins written offers is from Auburn. Written offers for seniors were allowed starting last week. With bama being over the limit and a small senior class, i believe it increases Auburn's chances for Geno, Alexander, Cyrus Jones, Jenkins, and others.

Wait..... you're saying that bama will sign fewer players because they don't have room for them..... you sure about that? :P

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was being discussed on sportscall yesterday. Under new SEC rules, you can't oversign anymore.

You can't oversign but that won't stop them from sending out scholarships to those players. They'll play the game like we do. Better hop on board before the train gets full

Is the multi-year scholarship rule going into effect?  If not, you can still oversign, just not more than 25.

And supposedly medical hardships are going to be more highly scrutinized.  But that wouldn't affect kids leaving for playing time or disciplinary reasons.  And I guess the multi-year scholarship rule could be circumvented this way as well  :rolleyes:

Is the multi-year scholarship rule going into effect?  If not, you can still oversign, just not more than 25.

And supposedly medical hardships are going to be more highly scrutinized.  But that wouldn't affect kids leaving for playing time or disciplinary reasons.  And I guess the multi-year scholarship rule could be circumvented this way as well  :rolleyes:

Exactly. If you think that the new rules will clean up bama's recruiting practices completely, then you are ignoring Saban's single greatest talent as a coach - finding loopholes.

Yeah you can sign 25 per year as long as you don't exceed the 85 limit. There is a loop hole in back counting. If you sign 25 this year and say four don't get in and attend prep school, you can resign those four and 25 others as long as you don't go over the 85.

Auburn is getting very close to the 85 themselves with almost all our players qualifying. Unless there is a lot of attrition, i believe we sign a small class in 2013.

I believe Bama would take Smith and Alexander regardless of the total signees they can have. These 2 kids are too highly rated not to take. Here's hoping AU gets them both! It is sort of like AU would take Marshall even though we already have 2 great RB's in this class.

Wouldn't the 12' signing class be the smallest with only 8 senior son the team this year? I think we have something like high teens (17 or 18) juniors on the team this year. Also, I think we are in the low 70's as far as overall scholarships. Unless CGC gives a bunch of walk-ons scholarships, we should have close to a full class next year.

Yeah you can sign 25 per year as long as you don't exceed the 85 limit. There is a loop hole in back counting. If you sign 25 this year and say four don't get in and attend prep school, you can resign those four and 25 others as long as you don't go over the 85.

Auburn is getting very close to the 85 themselves with almost all our players qualifying. Unless there is a lot of attrition, i believe we sign a small class in 2013.

The "back counting" as you call it was also gone out the door with the new rules that went into affect immediately.

Let's get back on subject to Mr. Geno Smith. He commits soon. Think our chances are still solid? Zeke Pike mentions him on twitter all the time about how he's ready for him to be a Tiger.. So I'm taking that as good news.

Let's get back on subject to Mr. Geno Smith. He commits soon. Think our chances are still solid? Zeke Pike mentions him on twitter all the time about how he's ready for him to be a Tiger.. So I'm taking that as good news.

As of today, August 10, I like AU's chances.  But this one is very much up in the air.

FYI, Chiz said we only have 72 on scholarship.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/auburn_reserve_dl_derrick_lyke.html

The question is how many of those are seniors that were walk ons that get a scholly for their last season?

The question is how many of those are seniors that were walk ons that get a scholly for their last season?

Doubtful it will be 10+

None, he was referring to the players who came in on scholarship. I'm sure at least a few of those senior walk ons will get a scholly, but I'm not sure that has happened yet seeing as school hasn't started up.

None, he was referring to the players who came in on scholarship. I'm sure at least a few of those senior walk ons will get a scholly, but I'm not sure that has happened yet seeing as school hasn't started up.

How many scholly seniors do we have?

8 I believe, if Josh Harris got a scholarship then 9

so 72-8 or 9 =64 or 63 right...So that means we can sign 21 or 22 players in February?

8 I believe, if Josh Harris got a scholarship then 9

so 72-8 or 9 =64 or 63 right...So that means we can sign 21 or 22 players in February?

....plus natural attrition and one would expect Auburn to sign 24-25 next year

I just went and looked at the roster. There are 15 seniors on the roster. It looks like 7 of them are on scholarship. Carr, Thorpe, Cole, Freeman, Moseley, Greene, Cooper. There is also Chris Humphries and Chandler Brooks who Im not sure if they would be on scholarship or not.

Have we awarded those yet? I would have guessed that the walk-ons would earn them based on fall camp.

• 2 months later...

Auburn is still actively recruiting Geno Smith.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2011/10/19/alabama-db-commit-still-hearing-from-uga-lsu-fsu-and-auburn/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

On a side note, Coach Luper was asked tonight what he and Coach Malzahn looks for in a QB recruit: His response, Cam Newton.

Auburn is still actively recruiting Geno Smith.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2011/10/19/alabama-db-commit-still-hearing-from-uga-lsu-fsu-and-auburn/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

On a side note, Coach Luper was asked tonight what he and Coach Malzahn looks for in a QB recruit: His response, Cam Newton.

Sounds solid to uat to me...and Cam Newton's are hard to find.

Archived