Important: Cameron Newton and the Offense

Jonesy

Many times the MSU line and LBs would start rushing before the ball was actually snapped. I think that not snapping the ball (faking it or something?)  would've gotten us quite a lot of free plays / forced offside.   Also that would've greatly controlled the blitzing.

I don't know about the intricacies of doing such a thing. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably correct me if I am wrong, or give examples of teams actually doing that.

This is what I meant by having the snap count down. They knew exactly when the snap would be and the perfect timing of the blitz was what allowed that penetration they were getting in the second half.

Had Cam (really it's on everybody as a team to communicate this) noticed that they were blitzing and jumping the snap, a hard count could've allowed an offsides or two. I'm confident they'll pick this up though. But, like I said earlier, I seem to remember Chris Todd having trouble picking up blitzes and audible to a different play to beat it. I wonder if they even practice that given how fast the offense is designed to run.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree and a W is a W, BUT, the play calling was entirely too CONSERVATIVE!!!!  I think Malzahn is still in a learning curve too.  He was IMHO outcoached last nite.

I think Jonesy is trying to explain a little why it was a little conservative.  As for being out coached Malzahn is  still learning Cam as much as Cam is learning or offense.  Heck If you think about it Mullins probably knows Cams strength better than Malzahn does at this point of the season.  I do agree wholeheartedly that it is good to get out of that creepy place with a  W.

I'm offically worried about our O and our D. I think we will improve but we have a long way to go to get ready for some of the dudes down the road!

FLUSH........................THIS............................TURD

Thank you Jonesy for the nice post, I agree 100%. Finally someone who is sane and is not already calling for the back up QB, or wanting the backup to play more. I don't think people realize this is Cam's first year being a starter in the SEC, so he'll have some growing pains. People apparently expect immediate results from Cam. He had a rough night, but at the same time, he still helped the offense out more than anyone else, except maybe Dyer. He will learn from his mistakes, and we will see that potent offense we saw against Ark. State once again. War Eagle!

Who is calling for the backup to play????  You have to know nothing about football to not realize Cam is the best QB we have and maybe when he's done the best QB in a long time.  I doubt anyone has been calling for the backup so please refrain from starting crap

Jan I think its pretty clear that he wasnt starting "crap".  He was simply saying that for once it is nice that people arent calling for the backup early-on like SO many people have in the past few years at AU.  Why is everyone so short tempered around here??

Laptop? You can't be serious,lol. You'd be better off named the crimson coke connection instead. Must keep the tide employed after failure to graduate. Parole tide :hellyeah:

I see where you're going with this tt but you're way off base, it's an old nick name, that's all, just so you know!

Laptop? You can't be serious,lol. You'd be better off named the crimson coke connection instead. Must keep the tide employed after failure to graduate. Parole tide :hellyeah:

I see where you're going with this tt but you're way off base, it's an old nick name, that's all, just so you know!

I hope, it would be one of many that joined with a few variables of the laptop theme when Cam committed. If you're one of us, all too happy you're here, if you're one of them, all too happy to lead the parade taking you out. As you can see, I'm not the only one who had the same thought about your moniker.

I totally agree, Jonesy, that we should support our coaches and players whether things improve rapidly or not.  Totally.

But I'm not sold by a single excuse that's been offered for the offense.  The plain fact is, we've lit up all our non-SEC opponents, plus the first two (State and UT last year).  Since then, we have yet to do much on an SEC defense.  It remains to be seen whether this offense (scheme and players) is as good as it's looked in some games.  Until we go out and put up some numbers against another good defense, we should be a little concerned.

In particular, State did exactly what Arkansas (Arkansas, no less!), LSU, and Kentucky did to us last year.  They disrupted our slow-developing plays with diverse blitz packages.  And we haven't had an answer to that since Arkansas shocked us last year.

I'm also a little worried that State seemed to anticipate our audibles.  If that's the case, we need to do some self-scouting, pronto.

Many times the MSU line and LBs would start rushing before the ball was actually snapped. I think that not snapping the ball (faking it or something?)  would've gotten us quite a lot of free plays / forced offside.   Also that would've greatly controlled the blitzing.

I don't know about the intricacies of doing such a thing. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably correct me if I am wrong, or give examples of teams actually doing that.

This is what I meant by having the snap count down. They knew exactly when the snap would be and the perfect timing of the blitz was what allowed that penetration they were getting in the second half.

Had Cam (really it's on everybody as a team to communicate this) noticed that they were blitzing and jumping the snap, a hard count could've allowed an offsides or two. I'm confident they'll pick this up though. But, like I said earlier, I seem to remember Chris Todd having trouble picking up blitzes and audible to a different play to beat it. I wonder if they even practice that given how fast the offense is designed to run.

in loud environments hard counts can be almost impossible because the O goes to the silent count or doesnt risk the drive killing false starts....i read a stat somewhere about davis wade leading the sec in opponent false starts.....the msu defense was simply taking advantage of knowing the ball was going to be snapped....bama does the same thing @ tuscaloosa....

2 Games in 6 days and one of them being and SEC game and both being the first two games of the season!! 2-0 is outstanding!! :thumbsup:

agreed. I don't think enough credit is being given to our players considering the short week. Those Thursday night games are a HUGE advantage for the home team.  Now we have a long week to get ready for Clemson and to try and improve on our mistakes

Jonesy, Do you think that the conservative play calling had a lot to do with how well our D was playing?Mabey that dictated his play calling some,if your D is holding them down,mabey there wasnt a need to be overly aggresive with the play calling.Im not sure, but that maybe that was part of it.

The play calling was dictated last night towards the end of the game not because Chizik decided to handcuff Malzahn but because MSUs defense handcuffed Cameron Newton.

In terms of SEC experience, Cameron Newton is just a freshman. His athletic ability is amazing, but he is still going to have growing pains reading SEC defenses. Last night was a great learning experience for Cameron Newton and the tapes from the game are really going to help Malzahn teach Cameron how to read complex defenses better.

Teams improve the most from week one to week two but because of the short week, Cameron and the tigers will improve most from week two to week three.

Clemson will look much different on both sides of the ball. That's the game where I believe both sides will really start clicking.

Most importantly, if they don't, we owe it to the team to be patient and supportive. We are their  people, and they are our  family. No matter what.

Excellent post.

The biggest improvement is usually week 1  to 2, however with a short week the Clemson game should be a big sign of how well we improve.

Did you still that from the rivals article? Haha caught ya! :P :P :P :P

I look at it like this, our offense and defense are probably not as good or bad as everyone thinks. I think they are probably somewhere in the middle. It's hard to judge just how good a win vs Ms State actually is because their only other game is a curb stomping of Memphis... That being said, never take a win for granted. Pretty or ugly, you need to win them all to compete for championships.

Jonesy, Do you think that the conservative play calling had a lot to do with how well our D was playing?Mabey that dictated his play calling some,if your D is holding them down,mabey there wasnt a need to be overly aggresive with the play calling.Im not sure, but that maybe that was part of it.

The play calling was dictated last night towards the end of the game not because Chizik decided to handcuff Malzahn but because MSUs defense handcuffed Cameron Newton.

In terms of SEC experience, Cameron Newton is just a freshman. His athletic ability is amazing, but he is still going to have growing pains reading SEC defenses. Last night was a great learning experience for Cameron Newton and the tapes from the game are really going to help Malzahn teach Cameron how to read complex defenses better.

Teams improve the most from week one to week two but because of the short week, Cameron and the tigers will improve most from week two to week three.

Clemson will look much different on both sides of the ball. That's the game where I believe both sides will really start clicking.

Most importantly, if they don't, we owe it to the team to be patient and supportive. We are their  people, and they are our  family. No matter what.

Excellent post.

The D was put in  tricky spots at times.Slowing the O down also help the D recover needded  energy for the 4th quarter. 3and outs drained our D last year . I think our  Coaches recognised the potentual of that happening agian and became proactive.  

I hope, it would be one of many that joined with a few variables of the laptop theme when Cam committed. If you're one of us, all too happy you're here, if you're one of them, all too happy to lead the parade taking you out. As you can see, I'm not the only one who had the same thought about your moniker.

Fair enough.

If the defense was not playing as well, then yes, we would have seen a more aggressive offense.

Agree 100% with what Jonesy said. The D had Moo St. figured out and was continuing to get pressure and stops. It was much smarter to keep it simple and let the D carry the team than to force a mistake. Cam should learn a lot from this game. I am still hearing cow bells. D played great.

Archived