We've got the Pigs right where we want them.

AUenginerd

This common train of thought by opposing defenses makes me more confident than I already was in our upcoming offensive performance against their D, but this quote from the Arky DC has been said by many and IM(not so expert)HO is why the offense works so well.

"In order for [us to do] the things we need to do, we have to be very disciplined in our approach," Smith said.

I can't remember who, but an opposing DL even said similar over the summer. Defensive players have always been taught to read their keys to tell them where the ball is going and what to do. That doesn't work in defending our O and is what lures them into Gus's spider web. It just gets uglier as the game goes on and Gus and Rhett have identified tendencies and weaknesses to exploit. One more week! WDE!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This DC is parrotting what every DC on the planet has parrotted since Rockne rolled out the up tempo quadruple option in 1921. Disciplined D won't necessarily win the game but being undisciplined against it gives you zero chance.

IMHO Arky, like every team's first game of every season, is a game for us to just win and move on. If we blow them out, all the better.

The Piggies are hilarious. They think they will outplay us on the Line of Scrimmage and win. They are annoyed when people say Miss St. is better than them.....hahaha.

Advantages for us in the game.

1. QBs- we have two they have none.

2. Home field advantage

3. Weather - we will handle the heat much better.

4. Experience - first game of the year. We know how to win. They obviously don't.

5. Coaching - We have a football wizard. They have blubbering clown.

6. Talent - we are loaded with weapons and athletes. We finish in the top 10 in recruiting every year. They do good to finish in the top 25.

Advantages for Arkansas in the game

1. Underdog motivation???

I hope we hang 60 on the pork butts

The Piggies are hilarious. They think they will outplay us on the Line of Scrimmage and win. They are annoyed when people say Miss St. is better than them.....hahaha.

2. Home field advantage

4. Experience - first game of the year. We know how to win. They obviously don't.

6. Talent - we are loaded with weapons and athletes. We finish in the top 10 in recruiting every year. They do good to finish in the top 25.

Living in Little Rock, it has been hot here the past 2 or three days and that's about it. They're saying that from now until the end of next week is going to be the hottest it's been all summer. it should be low 90s all week, though I've heard it may get to 100. However, a quick google weather search showed that auburn should be hotter than fayetteville. The kicker is the humidity though, Fayetteville has a humidity level of around 78% opposed to Auburn's 98%. It's hot here, I'm sure it's much hotter there, especially at 3 pm.

From behind enemy lines,

Kwren34

2. Home field advantage

I sense some fear in this post.

2. Home field advantage

3. Weather - we will handle the heat much better. it get's damn hot in Arkansas too - check this month on accuweather (this and next week as well)

4. Experience - first game of the year. We know how to win. They obviously don't. it's a new year Skippy, it's not automatic an each team has to relearn and gel

3. Coaching - We have a football wizard. They have blubbering clown.

4. Talent - we are loaded with weapons and athletes. We finish in the top 10 in recruiting every year. They do good to finish in the top 25.

1. Underdog motivation ???

2. Revenge - the sweet taste that's been enhanced, marinated, and simmering for 9 months

3. Believe in themselves (and yet to be disproven) - Brett is definitely not a GUS, but to get where he is has required (mandated) the ability to motivate, just as it does in ang BIG conference

4. 1st game for both teams

I hope we hang 60 65 on the pork butts

it's more consistently hot in Auburn than in Arkansas. Our players are more used to it, plus the humidity. Our team is returning players that know how to win. Arkansas has way more geling to do. Arkansas is out for revenge against every SEC this year. 1st game for both teams is not an advantage for Arkansas....skippy.

I don't buy the heat/humidity thing at all ever since USC came in and shut us out at JHS in 2003 with a QB in his first start. We may be better conditioned, but as far as the heat goes, I think it won't be as big of a difference maker.

I think Auburn wins, but there are some things that could make it more competitive than most of us think.

1. Auburn's kicking game could be erratic.

2. Arkansas will try to play ball control football, eating clock, keeping the ball out of the hands of Auburn's explosive offense.

3. Auburn will be trying out its new passing offense, which *might* result in more 3-and-outs.

A lot depends on whether Auburn's defense can control the Arkansas offense. They will try to grind it out with their smash-mouth running game, then hit some play-action passes. If Auburn D plays well, it's an easy victory. If Auburn's D struggles, it could be a long day and closer that we'd like.

Still, I like's our chances.

I don't buy the heat/humidity thing at all ever since USC came in and shut us out at JHS in 2003 with a QB in his first start. We may be better conditioned, but as far as the heat goes, I think it won't be as big of a difference maker.

heat has to be a factor when you are facing a HUNH offense though. Yeah the offensive side feels the heat, but the suffering is apples and oranges compared to what the defense will go through bc it is mental as well.

The Auburn team is the best conditioned team in the SEC and it is a pace team. They are better prepared to handle adverse conditions.

^^^this^^^

Yes, I believe they'll run them piggy's ragged.... but because of pace and not just due the weather.

2. Home field advantage

Living in Little Rock, it has been hot here the past 2 or three days and that's about it. They're saying that from now until the end of next week is going to be the hottest it's been all summer. it should be low 90s all week, though I've heard it may get to 100. However, a quick google weather search showed that auburn should be hotter than fayetteville. The kicker is the humidity though, Fayetteville has a humidity level of around 78% opposed to Auburn's 98%. It's hot here, I'm sure it's much hotter there, especially at 3 pm.

From behind enemy lines,

Kwren34

But of course the Hogs are from Fayetteville. Is there much difference between Fayetteville temperatures and Little Rock temperatures? Like, maybe, if one was at a higher elevation than the other? Asking because I honestly don't know.

ya know when i really sit down and look at our depth on offense i see a tremendous amount of possiblities of mixing things up with so many players, I try to and I want the rest of us auburn fans to do so,be humble....It's kinda hard when you have a team like auburn and other fans and teams talking smack...but man as long as there is no sense of complacency at all this team will be legendary...I'll be petrified if I was an arky fan

Is there much difference between Fayetteville temperatures and Little Rock temperatures?

Not enough that we should consider weather to be a major advantage for us. In fact, the high in Fayetteville today is 4 degrees higher than that in Auburn.

It will be superior talent and coaching that carry the day next Saturday.

I think Auburn wins, but there are some things that could make it more competitive than most of us think.

2. Arkansas will try to play ball control football, eating clock, keeping the ball out of the hands of Auburn's explosive offense.

3. Auburn will be trying out its new passing offense, which *might* result in more 3-and-outs.

A lot depends on whether Auburn's defense can control the Arkansas offense. They will try to grind it out with their smash-mouth running game, then hit some play-action passes. If Auburn D plays well, it's an easy victory. If Auburn's D struggles, it could be a long day and closer that we'd like.

A lot more could have been written in our favor.

Arky will have new kickers too.

AU's O-line is better than theirs

AU's D-Backs are better than theirs

AU's WR's are better than theirs

AU will rotate 10 to 12 D-Lineman in the heat. Can Arky do this - No.

AU has better overall team speed.

AU has better coaching that can adjust much faster.

AU has better athletes overall to Arky's. As mentioned our recruiting classes are quite a bit better and are receiving very good coaching

AU's strength and conditioning is second to none. Our players will be better prepared for the heat.

I could go on and on. This should not be much of a game. Arky could beat us. They would have to play a bettter game than they have in years and AU would have to be aweful, with lots of turnovers.

"In order for [us to do] the things we need to do, we have to be very disciplined in our approach," If I remember correctly the Missouri HC & DC said pretty much the same thing.

They would have to play a bettter game than they have in years and AU would have to be aweful, with lots of turnovers.

Yup. Not because there are smelly, quadrupedal ghosts roaming JH, nor because Houston Nutt had some sort of Laffy Taffy voodoo doll in Tommy Tuberville's likeness. ("Wave your hands around, say 'giggity' three times, hike yer pants up and BOOM, Matt Jones tightropes it down the sideline for 45 yards. Yeah, folks say he looks like he ain't runnin' fast... 'cause he ain't! Giggity. Now if you'll excuse me, my cellular telephone is filling up with word messages...")

Actually, if they do beat us, I'll retract my above statements.

I think it will. Their DL will be dragging butt by mid 2nd qtr. Dry heat...78% humidity vs. Our heat 98% is a major change.Major advantage AU. But.....that's just one advantage, I could go on all day listing the others. WDE. AU-56.....Fatties-17

Heat will be a factor because of conditioning. Notice that all of AU's practices other than the early 2 a days have been at 3 pm in the heat of the day. Bet the pigs didn't do that. They also haven't had Coach Russell to answer too either. Gus has already won this and other games this year by off season conditioning and captain's practice. WDE

Good post. I pretty much agree. Especially with the bolded part.

it's more consistently hot in Auburn than in Arkansas. Our players are more used to it, plus the humidity. Our team is returning players that know how to win. Arkansas has way more geling to do. Arkansas is out for revenge against every SEC this year. 1st game for both teams is not an advantage for Arkansas....skippy.

Trying to think about all the teams that weren't going to play well because they couldn't stand the heat and humidity and instead came in here and waxed our butts. Southern Cal, Nebraska, Virginia....That argument never holds water. We'll probably beat Arky but heat and humidity won't have anything to do with it.

How well I remember all the heat & humidity advantage that was espoused back then. It was bull then and it's bull now. Will not be a factor.

Archived