Keegan Thompson

Anything definitive yet? Somebody yesterday posted tendinitis, al.com mentioned stiffness in the shoulder. The guys on the SEC Network broadcast today (UF vs MSU) alluded to the possibility he was injured with no additional info.

All I've seen is Bryan Matthews mention the cause was tendinitis. A little blip on Twitter came across earlier today that he was getting an MRI tomorrow, but it was from a regular Joe with 200 followers and seemingly no ties to the baseball team, and since it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else, I doubt the validity of it.

"He had a little tendonitis or something," Golloway said. "We needed to get him out of there. It's nothing major. He's going to be fine. I don't want our fans to worry about it."

This was the quote Bryan was making his analysis off of.

@aaronfitt: Good news for @Auburn_Baseball: ace Keegan Thompson, who was pulled w/ tendinitis this week, should be fine to pitch Saturday, per Sunny G.

@aaronfitt: Good news for @Auburn_Baseball: ace Keegan Thompson, who was pulled w/ tendinitis this week, should be fine to pitch Saturday, per Sunny G.

Thanks for posting that SC.

Amazing what a little shot of cortisone will do for you? Got one set for Thursday myself...should be back on the golf course by Monday.

Did the pitch count catch up to Keegan or is this just one of those things?

hard to know...I never threw a pitch in college and have had tendinitis in my elbow and shoulder off and on for years anyway.

Interesting question though because I don't think it just come's and goes quickly...and just my experience, but without some treatment, it will hang around quite a while.

Did the pitch count catch up to Keegan or is this just one of those things?

That's a good question.

In my experience, pitch count normally causes a problem in the elbow area, not the shoulder. Each individual can be different but I don't think Thompson has approached the number of pitches necessary to cause arm trouble and certainly not shoulder trouble. A college pitcher should be able to throw at least 130 per game with no problem.

Also, arm trouble isn't always related to pitch count, there are other things that can happen.

Arm trouble is often related to throwing motion and type of pitches you throw. Pitch count can affect this as when you get tired your throwing motion can change.

Arm trouble is often related to throwing motion and type of pitches you throw. Pitch count can affect this as when you get tired your throwing motion can change.

Guess folks could study tape of last year and this year to see if the pitching motion has changed but the thought that this "damage" took place after just a part of a season....and when there have been very few games when he has passed the 120 pitch mark. And if you look at his pitching schedule he has generally pitched every 6 or 7 days.....pretty leisurely if you ask me.

Also , I took a look at the NCAA pitching stats and KT barely even registers on the lists of number of games, complete games or innings pitched.... his 65 innings is way down the list which would lead me to think that over-work is not an issue..

@BMattAU: Keegan Thompson won't start tomorrow. Sunny Golloway said he's OK but wants to rest him. Dalton Rentz will start

Maybe I'm skeptical, but this is slightly worrying. That said, the series is won and I've been advocating for KT to get some rest so if his injury is truly healed, it's good for him to get a weekend vacation.

@BMattAU: Keegan Thompson won't start tomorrow. Sunny Golloway said he's OK but wants to rest him. Dalton Rentz will start

Maybe I'm skeptical, but this is slightly worrying. That said, the series is won and I've been advocating for KT to get some rest so if his injury is truly healed, it's good for him to get a weekend vacation.

I don't think he's "OK". Getting the sweep in this series is important and if KT were indeed 100% he be starting tomorrow. For that matter, were he 100% he'd have started today. Hopefully he'll be ready to go next weekend.

Makes perfect sense, we speculated that Golloway had this in mind when he pushed Thompson back to game three when the rotation was posted on Thursday.

How rare is it for your number one starter to get two weeks rest this late in the season, and the team not go into free fall. Time for the rest of this staff to get tougher.

Reasonable plan to start Rentz and see how it goes and Trey as needed. Makes sense to me that KT would only be used "if needed" now that we have two games in the bag. Camp threw more than usual last night....not sure what his allowance is and if he could go more than one inning tonight.

Pitching has been clutch this weekend....stranded a lot of dawgs on the bases.

Would be nice for KT to be ready for LSU...which by the way, looked very good last night beating Tex A&M.

Would be nice for KT to be ready for LSU...which by the way, looked very good last night beating Tex A&M.

Ha. He was, pitcher of the week. We need him to be AS ready as he was in Baton Rouge, right 64?

"That's as good a pitching performance as any I've seen in my nine years as the coach at LSU against one of our teams," LSU coach Paul Mainieri saidd. "He was just in total command. Just some nights you run into a buzzsaw and that kid was just outstanding."

USC, Updykes and UF left on conference schedule.

Ha. He was, pitcher of the week. We need him to be AS ready as he was in Baton Rouge, right 64?

"That's as good a pitching performance as any I've seen in my nine years as the coach at LSU against one of our teams," LSU coach Paul Mainieri saidd. "He was just in total command. Just some nights you run into a buzzsaw and that kid was just outstanding."

USC, Updykes and UF left on conference schedule.

OOPS sorry...got the wrong initials....USC in Columbia...a beatable team even on the road.....will have a chance to see the game on Saturday and would be nice to see him pitch that game....perhaps?

and that win over LSU was very good for our RPI....they still looked outstanding last night....

Yes, next Saturday in Columbia will be huge for our Tigers. Will you be there? Carolina Stadium is absolutely beautiful and will certainly be rocking next weekend.

And as for LSU they are looking like the best in the country. Proving that to the Aggies. And to think we were an eyelash away from taking two of three in Red Stick.

Yes, next Saturday in Columbia will be huge for our Tigers. Will you be there? Carolina Stadium is absolutely beautiful and will certainly be rocking next weekend.

And as for LSU they are looking like the best in the country. Proving that to the Aggies. And to think we were an eyelash away from taking two of three in Red Stick.

Going with a friend who played a couple years back in the early 1960s for the 'cocks. We live a couple hours away and will drive down that day....neither of us have seen the new stadium. Saw AU play in the old bandbox (Sarge Frye) but this should be nice.

As for LSU...yep, hard to believe we were that close as I watched them and the aggies ripping doubles against the outfield wall and hitting lasers into the outfield...after mostly watching AU and UGa bunting for singles and infield hits or blooping fly balls into the outfield. I get to see some high A baseball each year at Myrtle Beach and JMO but the better SEC teams are as good if not better.

Well I take some of this back...Deese and Murphy hit a couple nice hard singles....Gilliken's triple was nice though some outfielders in the SEC probably would have caught the ball.

https://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1762056

This is a free article. Regardless of how "precautionary" this may be, whenever Andrews gets involved, this is more than just precautionary. Hope he can get R and R and return this season, but more importantly hope that million dollar arm hasn't been run into the ground already. Get well soon Keegan!

I'm almost certain I saw him on the broadcast of last night's game throwing from the mound in the bullpen. I'm going to go back and re-watch it this afternoon. If that's the case, then he hasn't been shut down. In terms of doctors getting involved, there's nobody better, but you're right that this does not look good.

Expect the worst and hope for the best. On the bright side, we're suddenly deeper with the pitching staff. Everybody has stepped up their game.

I'm almost certain I saw him on the broadcast of last night's game throwing from the mound in the bullpen. I'm going to go back and re-watch it this afternoon. If that's the case, then he hasn't been shut down. In terms of doctors getting involved, there's nobody better, but you're right that this does not look good.

Expect the worst and hope for the best. On the bright side, we're suddenly deeper with the pitching staff. Everybody has stepped up their game.

That was the word from the announcers...he was seen tossing in the bullpen....but who knows.

Did notice that Wingenter did not pitch last night as originally planned....or at least during a short interview early in the game, Trey indicated the plan was for him to finish up last night. Plans might have changed after Clements did so well...or perhaps after KT threw a bit and it was decided he would not pitch this coming weekend.

Anyway, Trey will be fresh for USCe and probably see more than mop-up duty.

Archived