The Origin of War Eagle - Auburn Magazine article

tgr4lfe

If you get the Auburn Magazine, you will find an article by one of my former roommates, Michael Strickland ('97) regarding the true origin of the legend of War Eagle. This is a really fascinating article!! He told me about it months ago and now the article is finally coming out. Unfortunately, it is not available electronically, so I can't just paste the text in, so I hope these are somewhat readable. If you get the magazine, which you should get this week, the article is on page 48 and 49.

I'm kind of bummed that the story of the eagle flying around the field isn't true, not that I really ever thought it was, but still it was cool story to tell. Anyway, War Eagle, Rip Major!!

Jeremy Henderson of the wareaglereader.com has a book coming out about this legend, as Strick alludes to in the closing paragraph. It should be out soon, if it isn't already.

Page 1

Z7HADaD.jpg

wabD6xR.jpgPage 2

Cool story! I wish I had asked my grandfather, who graduated in 1914, I think. He would have probably known the true story. I like that there is mystery surrounding the story. It makes it more fun. In any event, War Eagle is a great batle cry.

I wrote a long post about the the origin of war eagle about 4-5 years ago on AE forum. I am convinced it is the true origin. I spent a lot of time on that post and went into many details that I got from my grandfather, who is now deceased. It is way too much to retype, and pretty useless without all the details.

Does anyone l know if there is a way to search posts from the old AE forum?

I'd love to see what info you had. I could pass it along to Michael. I know he'd love to see any other info about it.

Archived