(Updated 11/18/16) 3* Juco Dual QB D.J. Gillins (SMU)

Guest EagleDamnWar

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If AU does not sign a true QB this year I agree with Cole. Can't keep getting projects at the QB position. 

I don't know...but seems every incoming QB is a project....everywhere.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is limited amount of HS QBs that are ready to step into a power 5 conference and start, so that would mean that most HS QBs are projects. It is on the shoulders of the college coach to develop them and absorb them into their offenses. 

Most need some help/time for adjustment.  Auburn just has a preference to pick up a mechanic's special... and we don't have a mechanic.

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

There is limited amount of HS QBs that are ready to step into a power 5 conference and start, so that would mean that most HS QBs are projects. It is on the shoulders of the college coach to develop them and absorb them into their offenses. 

Not being g a project does not mean the same as being a finished product and I believsome are wrong in thinking they mean the same thing. What I mean by not a project and I think guys like WDE and Bird see it thisway too: is a player out of high school who shows ability to be reasonably acurate, shows some ability to read defenses, and have adequate arm strength. If a player has those qualities coming in then he can easily be molded, skills enhanced, and not be a project. There are a number of QBs in each class that fit that. We just don't recruit them or in some cases don't land them.

Project to me means a QB with upside but a limited amount t of actual QB specific skill.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not being g a project does not mean the same as being a finished product and I believsome are wrong in thinking they mean the same thing. What I mean by not a project and I think guys like WDE and Bird see it thisway too: is a player out of high school who shows ability to be reasonably acurate, shows some ability to read defenses, and have adequate arm strength. If a player has those qualities coming in then he can easily be molded, skills enhanced, and not be a project. There are a number of QBs in each class that fit that. We just don't recruit them or in some cases don't land them.

Project to me means a QB with upside but a limited amount t of actual QB specific skill.

I think that is a given, Gus probably wouldn't recruit a player that didn't have most if not all of those qualities. But Gus does recruit a large number of players that he could mold into a certain role player. That could be part of the problem, he has targeted player s that could fit into his offense in certain roles and in doing so has left himself out of the race for other more qualified QBs and given the impression he can only use DT QBs, when what he is doing is recruiting players to fit into certain roles. Not sure if i have made enough sense to make my point. :dunno:

46 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I think that is a given, Gus probably wouldn't recruit a player that didn't have most if not all of those qualities. But Gus does recruit a large number of players that he could mold into a certain role player. That could be part of the problem, he has targeted player s that could fit into his offense in certain roles and in doing so has left himself out of the race for other more qualified QBs and given the impression he can only use DT QBs, when what he is doing is recruiting players to fit into certain roles. Not sure if i have made enough sense to make my point. :dunno:

Based on a number of QBs we have recruited and taken I respectfully disagree.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Based on a number of QBs we have recruited and taken I respectfully disagree.

Well he recruited JF3....but other than him our QB recruits seemed to have the right attributes...or as noted,the attributes to run his offense since IMO there is a very limited number of HS guys having it all...even 4 and 5 star guys....at least it frequently turns out they are lacking something when they get to college in many places

Nick Marshall was a project.  JF3 is a project. Bishop will be a project. Jason Smith was a project. These guys are pretty much athletes playing the QB position. I don't know much about D.J. but based on what I've seen of his highlights, he falls into that realm. Making plays with his athletic ability and not necessarily natural at the QB position. I believe that is what a handful of posters on this thread are pointing towards.  They are not true DT QB's. They can be molded to such though..SEE Lamar Jackson.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Well he recruited JF3....but other than him our QB recruits seemed to have the right attributes...or as noted,the attributes to run his offense since IMO there is a very limited number of HS guys having it all...even 4 and 5 star guys....at least it frequently turns out they are lacking something when they get to college in many places

Woody is a project. Was not very accurate out of high school & has trouble reading defenses. JJ can't read defenses. If TQ did not hurt his arm I think he had the attributes to throw fairly accurately & read Ds but I don't know that to be true. And you already mentioned JF3.

Absolutely no one thought Jeremy Johnson was a "project" according to your definition. That's revisionist history. 

The only guys that fit the bill are Franklin, Marshall, and maybe Woody although he looked a lot better than anyone expected when he hit campus. Smith was never really a QB recruit. TBD if Bishop has the same "opportunity." Johnson, White, and Queen had the characteristics you defined for normal targets (although two of them were actually elite QBs). 

Also, just to add this tidbit. I remember earlier this season watching UL destroy FSU and one of the reporters detailing how Petrino developed Jackson. In the spring, Jackson would always take off, normally gaining positive yards. Petrino put a stop to that. He NEVER allowed Jackson to take off, forcing him to stay in the pocket, either making a pass, throwing it out of bounds or taking a sack. How accurate is this? Who knows, but we can't deny how different Jackson is in the pocket. I contrast this to the second chance series with JF3, where the coach pretty much told JF3 in practice to just take off. Sure, he could do that, making positive gains..but is this making him a better QB?  The little things.

1 minute ago, mcgufcm said:

Absolutely no one thought Jeremy Johnson was a "project" according to your definition. That's revisionist history. 

The only guys that fit the bill are Franklin, Marshall, and maybe Woody although he looked a lot better than anyone expected when he hit campus. Smith was never really a QB recruit. TBD if Bishop has the same "opportunity." Johnson, White, and Queen had the characteristics you defined for normal targets (although two of them were actually elite QBs). 

I don't think he said JJ was a project, only that he can't read defenses.

The implication was most certainly that he lacked one of the key traits E listed for non-projects. I'm simply pointing out that no one had that opinion of Jeremy in HS or as a freshman or as a sophomore. 

4 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

The implications was most certainly that he lacked one of the key traits he listed for non-projects. I'm simply pointing out that no one had that opinion of Jeremy in HS or as a freshman or as a sophomore. 

Actually one of the cons that quite a few of people had about him from Montgomery was that he tended to never look anyone off and key on one target no matter what. I specifically remember watching the Carver and Auburn playoff game, which most of the fans crowing about that.  That was pretty much the only complaint anyone had about him, assured he would get it corrected under Gus tutelage.  And I am saying this as someone from the GUMP. Not trying to blow smoke. Other than that, everyone just knew he would be the next big thing.

16 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Somebody can be a project in hindsight even though us fans did not know at the time he could not read D's which is a QB specific skill.

Just now, ellitor said:

I consider that being a proj

Somebody can be a project in hindsight even though us fans did not know at the time he could not read D's which is a QB specific skill.

Fair enough. I tend to take the cumulative approach on things. Cam Newton couldn't really read a defense, either. I feel like that could be taught. I believe JJ had all the other tools coming out of H.S.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Fair enough. I tend to take the cumulative approach on things. Cam Newton couldn't really read a defense, either. I feel like that could be taught. I believe JJ had all the other tools coming out of H.S.

Cam was a better throwing QB out of high school than most realize. He definitely needed to be more accurate but he was accurate enough and could read defenses on some level. agreed on JJ. He was thought to be fairly polished but in college and the Pros you have to read Ds  on some level to be a quality passer no matter the system you are in.

Just now, ellitor said:

Cam was a better throwing QB out of high school than most realize. He definitely needed to be more accurate but he was accurate enough and could read defenses on some level. agreed on JJ. He was thought to be fairly polished but in college and the Pros you have to read Ds  on some level to be a quality passer no matter the system you are in.

You absolutely are correct. Even though I can't stand Mike Shula, I give him some serious credit on that. Watching Cam Newton with Jon Gruden was cringeworthy, but then again, he wasn't asked to do very much of it under the Malzahn offense. His ability to command the line is head and shoulders over what it was in college. 

48 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Excuse me but I seem to have lost the Gillins thread. I know I put it down around here somewhere. Has anyone seen it?:dunno:

You got some new insider info?

49 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Excuse me but I seem to have lost the Gillins thread. I know I put it down around here somewhere. Has anyone seen it?:dunno:

Appears to be a dead issue. AU is not interested as 1 site thought they were. He jumped the gun then I followed suit unfortunately.  DJ was just going to visit last week to see some friends.

Archived