Austin Wiley 2017 5* PF Enrolls at AU!!! (Updated 12/16/16)

Grumps

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Wiley status update from JGT & BMatt on Sunday's Rundown podcast.  You can find the Rundown podcast for free on the Itunes store here. The Wiley part begins at the 20:45 mark.

-Wiley has graduated

-Going through process now of being cleared by AU, SEC & NCAA

-Could get cleared by Monday or Tuesday 12th or 13th

-SEC particularly skeptical of recruits in general who change schools from Jr to Sr year like Wiley did so they may be taking a bit longer

-may be ready to play versus Coastal Carolina on the 15th

Big news. Could be today or tomorrow. I wouldnt expect him to do too much if somehow he got in before the 15th against CC in that game. Would be cool, though, to see Pearl put him out there for about 2-3 minutes just to watch him run, see him rebound a bit. Of course he'll need to learn the offense and begin some team bonding, but it looks as if he's eager to go now! 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Big news. Could be today or tomorrow. I wouldnt expect him to do too much if somehow he got in before the 15th against CC in that game. Would be cool, though, to see Pearl put him out there for about 2-3 minutes just to watch him run, see him rebound a bit. Of course he'll need to learn the offense and begin some team bonding, but it looks as if he's eager to go now! 

I agree that we shouldn't expect too much from him early on. 

But I wouldn't be surprised to see him integrated into our game plans early on and have it stick just because of how talented he is and all of the different teams that he's already played and excelled on. I played aau ball on a relatively good team, we picked up a player once and he was a "starter" on our team within a week just because he was so good that he meshed with the chemistry so quickly based on the fact that everyone else was excited to have him as part of our team. It was okay he was "stealing" minutes because it made us much more competitive and everyone helped him become part of our chemistry because of that. He got the ball extra in practice and games even if he didn't know the plays as well as us, he got a pass for missing a defensive call/assignment even though he'd hear about it when he got brought out next. Of course AU is a much bigger stage with less time to prepare and more meaningful games but none the less., (a bit buzzed so I'm not sure how well I'm making my point lol)

Edited by Charhair

43 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

We could really use this kid now. 

Sincerely, 

Captain Obvious

If he's as good as they say watch how EVERYBODY shooting percentage goes up, and watch how much better our defense improve. Remember who told you.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If he's as good as they say watch how EVERYBODY shooting percentage goes up, and watch how much better our defense improve. Remember who told you.

I'm sure you'll remind us if we don't............j/k cole j/k and I agree with you as long as he is as a good as we all hope percentages should go up. It's only Dec

• Like 2

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I'm sure you'll remind us if we don't............j/k cole j/k and I agree with you as long as he is as a good as we all hope percentages should go up. It's only Dec

With our without him....the shooting percentages need to go up or we will see a lot of nights that look like last night.   Inability to hit open 3s when the 3 is an important part of our game and/or shooting low 40s from the rest of the floor.....a season killer.  JMO.  Don't need to shoot 40% from 3 every game but gotta make up the points somewhere.  Haven't noticed that Wiley is a big scorer....so JMO, looking for defense inside and rebounds....which should take some pressure off Spencer.  

Guess I've missed it but is he scheduled to be eligible soon?....before the SEC season starts or what's the word? 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

With our without him....the shooting percentages need to go up or we will see a lot of nights that look like last night.   Inability to hit open 3s when the 3 is an important part of our game and/or shooting low 40s from the rest of the floor.....a season killer.  JMO.  Don't need to shoot 40% from 3 every game but gotta make up the points somewhere.  Haven't noticed that Wiley is a big scorer....so JMO, looking for defense inside and rebounds....which should take some pressure off Spencer.  

Guess I've missed it but is he scheduled to be eligible soon?....before the SEC season starts or what's the word? 

Last I heard is we're still waiting on the SEC to clear him. I believe there was talk a few days ago hoping we'd get him for the 15th

28 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Last I heard is we're still waiting on the SEC to clear him. I believe there was talk a few days ago hoping we'd get him for the 15th

So in two days... Is he even on campus or does anyone know?  I seriously doubt he shows up on campus and plays in a game the same day or a day later. That said, just getting him on campus the 15th would be great. Give him a little practice time before SEC play. 

4 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

So in two days... Is he even on campus or does anyone know?  I seriously doubt he shows up on campus and plays in a game the same day or a day later. That said, just getting him on campus the 15th would be great. Give him a little practice time before SEC play. 

I've tried to look into it further to see if he's already on campus. Maybe e or someone else who keeps up with recruiting more than I do would know better but I haven't been able to find much. 

I wasn't saying that was going to happen, just reciting what I heard 

Just now, Charhair said:

I've tried to look into it further to see if he's already on campus. Maybe e or someone else who keeps up with recruiting more than I do would know better but I haven't been able to find much. 

I wasn't saying that was going to happen, just reciting what I heard 

I wasn't implying you said anything. I was just stating that if he made it on campus then (15th) he wouldn't likely play that game. However, if he is on campus now he might get 2-5 minutes depending on how the game goes.  The earlier he shows up the better. I'm not expecting him to be a game changing talent out of the gate, but I am seriously looking forward to having his height and presence inside. Could completely change our offense just having a player capable of posting up and getting rebounds. If he can just add 5-7 rebounds a game at this point that could be an 8-10 point swing, which for this young team would be HUGE. 

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Lol. It's no joke you know I really will. I think even I have to admit I'm doing that too much in the basketball forum....I just really know what I'm talking about with basketball but I don't think people listen/believe me and I'm just saying check my history.....But like you said it's only Dec! Lol!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

I saw it mentioned that he has moved to Auburn and is just waiting on clearance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

Attending the game tonight 

That's a heck of a way to start out. First game he sees when he officially gets to campus and we win by almost 50. And yes, Wiley, we expect to win by 50 from now on :laugh: 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

With New Williams transferring, Auburn may be getting ready to add a scholarship player.... I'm not speculating, I'm just looking at the facts and making an observation.....

We did not need New to leave to add a scholarship player. We were already 1 under the limit as it was pointed out in the New Williams thread.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

That's a heck of a way to start out. First game he sees when he officially gets to campus and we win by almost 50. And yes, Wiley, we expect to win by 50 from now on :laugh: 

Do you think Wiley can come in and perform like Will Macoy last night?  Not sure anybody can top that off the bench performance two three's and a slam dunk in less than 5 min.  Wiley has competition :wareagle:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gonefhin said:

Do you think Wiley can come in and perform like Will Macoy last night?  Not sure anybody can top that off the bench performance two three's and a slam dunk in less than 5 min.  Wiley has competition :wareagle:

If he wants to keep his scholly he'd better...the bar has been set! ?

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

We did not need New to leave to add a scholarship player. We were already 1 under the limit as it was pointed out in the New Williams thread.

Thanks E, I did not read the New Williams thread entirely, and must have missed that tidbit- my apologies