Austin Wiley 2017 5* PF Enrolls at AU!!! (Updated 12/16/16)

Grumps

Able to play on Sunday? 

That was quick....nice to have something approved without any drama....congrats to him and his parents ....and the coaches for getting things handled correctly.

• Like 3

Yay. Final four here we come. Just kidding. National Champs. Nothing less.

Spoiler

Don't click the eye icon if you don't want this inserted in your post.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 1

Link

Wiley enrolls at Auburn

Bryan Matthews | Senior Editor

AUBURN | An already young Auburn team just got younger, and better.

Five-star center Austin Wiley has been cleared to enroll at Auburn and will be eligible to practice and play immediately.

"I am extremely excited to announce that Austin Wiley has been deemed a qualifier by the NCAA and has been admitted and enrolled in Auburn University," Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said. "He will compete for Auburn starting against Mercer on Sunday. We look forward to having Austin be a part of and play for the Auburn Tigers just as his parents did.

"I want to thank the SEC, NCAA, President Gogue, Jay Jacobs and all of those in the Auburn administration for all of their due diligence."

G7j4myczbsdayoylidxa
Wiley is a big addition to Auburn's program and expected to play against Mercer Sunday.
Wade Rackley/Auburn athletics

Wiley, who is rated the nation’s No. 16 overall prospect by Rivals.com, is the son of former Auburn players, All-American Vickie Orr and Aubrey Wiley.

“It feels great. I feel really blessed right now," Wiley said. "My hard work and dedication has paid off. Thanks to my parents and coaches. I feel great. I grew up around here listening to stories my mom and dad would tell me about Auburn. This is a blessing, and it seems like everything works out for the best. It feels like destiny.”

Wiley, 6-foot-11 and 255 pounds, attended Conrad Academy in Orlando, Fla., this fall in order to graduate early and enroll at Auburn in December. He averaged 22 points and 12 rebounds per game as a junior at Spain Park in Hoover, Ala.

Wiley played on the Team USA’s gold medal winning team at the U17 world championships in Spain this summer.

Wiley is the second five-star in school history to sign with Auburn. The first, Mustapha Heron, is one of three freshmen starting for the Tigers this season.

Heron and Wiley have played with each other in pickup games.

“He brings a true five to Auburn,” Heron said. “Definitely more size and physicality.”

Wiley is part of a 2017 signing class that Rivals ranks No. 7 in the nation. Signees Davion Mitchell and Chuma Okeke are scheduled to enroll next summer.

Practiced today, will play Sunday. This will certainly change things. Normally I would say let's not get ahead of ourselves with a true freshman, but we have a few playing pretty well right now. On that note, Heron's run as our highest rated ever recruit didn't last long. 

• ellitor pinned and featured this topic

No expert on BBall but IMO he could be exactly what this team needs, a big man to rebound.Pearl getting it done!!!!WDE

6'-11 and 255....now that is guy who has the potential to be a "presence" in the middle.  Even as a freshman, don't think he will be pushed around very much. 

Now the announcers will have to switch their script from "heron is the highest rated auburn recruit in their history"

ESPN has Wiley listen at 6'9...are they incorrect?

Mercer got blown out by Clemson but they do have some size (a 7'1 and 6'10 center, I don't know how much either plays) so it could be a good game for Wiley to get some time in while playing against a decent sized team

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

6'-11 and 255....now that is guy who has the potential to be a "presence" in the middle.  Even as a freshman, don't think he will be pushed around very much. 

There is talk he is up to 265 FWIW.

2 hours ago, Charhair said:

Now the announcers will have to switch their script from "heron is the highest rated auburn recruit in their history"

ESPN has Wiley listen at 6'9...are they incorrect?

Yes. Never updated after they created a profile page for him.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There is talk he is up to 265 FWIW.

Of course there is the issue of speed and how he would affect the faster paced offense they have been running.  

Seems AU would not play as well in a half court game if he had trouble keeping up with the quick break guards?      Sunday should be instructive.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Of course there is the issue of speed and how he would affect the faster paced offense they have been running.  

Seems AU would not play as well in a half court game if he had trouble keeping up with the quick break guards?      Sunday should be instructive.

He's not a slow guy. He runs the floor very well. I think he can improve our half court game dramatically over time. Our half court game has been straight up awful at because of players rushing the sets. Having Wiley out there can calm our half court sets and make them much more efficient by getting a big man some touches. 

2 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

So you are implying he will be grossly misused on offense and if he is the best we have he will likely be 2cnd or 3rd string?

Nope. Just the BOIOM!.

Wow, bout time something like this worked out for us. This seemed like a pretty tricky issue and appears to have been handled perfectly by all. Big shout out to Aubrey and Vickie for their handling of this. They had a plan and executed it to perfection. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charhair said:

Mercer got blown out by Clemson but they do have some size (a 7'1 and 6'10 center, I don't know how much either plays) so it could be a good game for Wiley to get some time in while playing against a decent sized team

They hardly play at all. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

He's not a slow guy. He runs the floor very well. I think he can improve our half court game dramatically over time. Our half court game has been straight up awful at because of players rushing the sets. Having Wiley out there can calm our half court sets and make them much more efficient by getting a big man some touches. 

I was more thinking about how he would fit in an up tempo offense....our half court game does not look that good to me with so much standing around.... though maybe that problem could improve with him inside.  Don't see AU as a half court team this season ....and frankly I'm not sure what offense BP would prefer to play.