Garrison Brooks

BeatBama1972

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His father is an assistant coach at Mississippi St. He is thought to be headed there, or follow his father if he moves on.

This Garrison Brooks guy is such a complete player. Any team would be lucky to have him. I mean 95 blocks in short season is monstrous, not to mention the 400 points and 300 rebounds.

• 1 year later...

What seemed to be a quiet period for hoops recruiting has now come with a surprise.

4-Star PF signee Garrison Brooks has reportedly requested a full release from his LOI to Mississippi State.

BREAKING: HoopSeen125 big man Garrison Brooks has requested a full release from Mississippi State, per a source

Brooks, the son of current and longtime Mississippi State assistant coach George Brooks, was a big addition to the Bulldog’s early signing period. The 6-9 big man was expected to come right in to compete for minutes and make a big impact during his freshman campaign.

The Auburn, Alabama native chose the Bulldogs over North Carolina and the hometown team, so it would not be a surprise for the Tar Heels or the Tigers to be in the mix should he be released.

With this loss, expect Howland to aggressively go after a big man or two with the new available scholarship. A graduate-transfer would fill a void down low to go along with Schnider Herard, Aric Holman, and Abdul Ado.

Mississippi State’s 2017 class still has 5-star signee Nick Weatherspoon and Lawrence County PF Keyshawn Feazell solidly in the fold.

With Howland’s track record, he deserves the benefit of the doubt and I expect him to make up for this recruiting class. Stay tuned to FWtCT for updates on the situation, who the Bulldogs will look to go after, and the recruiting cycle as a whole.

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2017/3/31/15143146/breaking-garrison-brooks-requests-release-from-mississippi-state

My guess would be carolina. They were the runner up in this recruitment. 

Is there any chance his dad is leaving to fill in our vacated assistant role or for another job? I don't understand why he'd ask for a release if his dad is staying there. 

7 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Is there any chance his dad is leaving to fill in our vacated assistant role or for another job? I don't understand why he'd ask for a release if his dad is staying there. 

If you get a chance to watch his commitment video do it. It was sad. You could tell he didn't want to pick Miss St. Remember guardians have to sign NLIs too. I'm not sure he would follow his biological dad to AU if it's truly his choice. Link

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

My guess would be carolina. They were the runner up in this recruitment. 

You're probably right. I was hoping AU but I don't see Miss St. giving him an unconditional release to let go to a in conference team. It will probably be conditional which means if he came to AU he would have to sit a year & pay his own way in year 1.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

You're probably right. I was hoping AU but I don't see Miss St. giving him an unconditional release to let go to a in conference team. It will probably be conditional which means if he can to AU he would have to sit a year & pau his own way in year 1.

Never even factored that in too this. Your probaly right. They would never grant him a release to someone on the schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

lol tough crowd.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

The NCAA system is broken. Supposedly they are trying to protect the kid and do what is best for the kid. The reality is they are protecting the school and doing what is best for the school. A kid who has not started classes yet should be allowed to request release before they start classes and be released from his commitment.

Another example  coach who has a contract can leave a school or school can fire a coach but the student athlete is bound to honor his commitment unless the school decides to be nice. I could understand giving a limited release so student could not go to same conference but obviously the NCAA is acting in best interests of the school not the athlete.

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The NCAA system is broken. Supposedly they are trying to protect the kid and do what is best for the kid. The reality is they are protecting the school and doing what is best for the school. A kid who has not started classes yet should be allowed to request release before they start classes and be released from his commitment.

In this case they are protecting the father who basically forced the kid to sign with a school he did not want to go to.

Rotten situation all the way around from what we are reading...wondering if he takes the prep school option ?    Sounds like whatever he might have felt for MSU is gone now...and selfish move by MSU....especially considering how the kid was pretty unenthusiastic about his commitment. 

I had a pretty good regard for Howland for some reason ...but this is a sorry decision IMO. 

Why would the cowbells think that forcing a kid to stay when he wants out is a good option LMAOOO. OK so now what? They think he is going to try hard for them? Why are they screwing this kid like that? What a joke

Guess they think that when he gets on the campus he will love Starkville so much that they can win him over.....

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Why would the cowbells think that forcing a kid to stay when he wants out is a good option LMAOOO. OK so now what? They think he is going to try hard for them? Why are they screwing this kid like that? What a joke

Actually he will have to play or transfer and sit.  Kind of like in the movie Little Big League where the pitcher who didn't want to be there was screwing up.  Plain and simple: if you can't do what is asked of you at a high level then who else would want you.

this is definitely one of those cases where the father and mother were at odds. It seems (with only one side to review ofc), that his father wanted him to come to MSU where he coached and worked, and He convinced him to go there, without any help from his Mom. And now that he wants to leave, they (maybe including his father) used his father's job security as a way to talk him out of it. Geez...I hate recruiting sometimes.

This mother was really a smart cookie to put this info she had to convince them to give him his unconditional release.

Sounds like he really MAY want to go to Auburn. If it was UNC, then their original rule, would have allowed him to go there, just not to Auburn...

Nasty business.....does not cast a favorable light on college athletics....

I wish more people knew how nasty and dirty college basketball recruiting is. It makes college football recruiting look clean in comparison. It mostly goes unnoticed because not nearly as many people are invested in it. 

Archived