Charles Kelly

RunInRed

FSU is notoriously cheap and they really don't have the money to match what AU could offer. But sometimes its not all about money to these coaches.

Maybe a call from his former coach - Pat Dye - would help grease the skids.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much of this stuff about need someone for the "Long Haul" is so much B.S. Jeremy Pruitt was a one and done at FSU, and FSU's defense performed fine before Pruitt and fine after Pruitt. While Kirby Smart was in for the long haul with Bama, his underlings rotated more than a volleyball team. We had 5 different DCs under Tuberville, and we were strong on defense during that era. It is not about coaches, it is about the system, and the schemes.

Look at Kelly. He was the LB coach (with prior DC experience at smaller schools) who was promoted from within. How is that any different from the prospect of promoting CLT to DC?

This is not the 1980s anymore. These coordinators like to move on and move up. Coordinators want to be head coaches, and they want to make a lot of money. Both making money and getting a variety of experience under a variety of head coaches requires job shopping. Get used to it.

The same applies to assistants who want to be coordinators. That is why Jeremy Pruitt did not stay at Alabama. That is probably why CLT bounced around between UAT, UTK, back to UAT, and to AU.

We are not going to get another Wayne Hall--a DC with decade long tenure. And given Hall's corruption nearly took down AU Football, it is a damn good thing those days are gone.

Going for the big names is fine to a point. The schemes and systems have to be compatible. Certainly Kelly's scheme is similar enough to CWMs to match. But it would be a huge mistake to get a big name DC with a different system.

If AU is the dumpster fire some believe it is, it has something to offer someone like CLT. Unless Kirby Smart is going to offer CLT the UGA DC job, we are probably his only prospect for a DC job. And even if CGM is dumped after next year, an SEC defensive assistant with solid experience under many HCs and FBS DC experience can find a job quick.

As for a secondary and LB coach, go for young assistants in FCS or non-Power 5 with ambition and a chip on their shoulder--guys who are looking for a step up to a Power 5 school.

You nailed it. It doesn't seem that Gus has a strong idea (or system in place) about what he wants his football team to be on offense AND defense.

Much of this stuff about need someone for the "Long Haul" is so much B.S. Jeremy Pruitt was a one and done at FSU, and FSU's defense performed fine before Pruitt and fine after Pruitt. While Kirby Smart was in for the long haul with Bama, his underlings rotated more than a volleyball team. We had 5 different DCs under Tuberville, and we were strong on defense during that era. It is not about coaches, it is about the system, and the schemes.

Look at Kelly. He was the LB coach (with prior DC experience at smaller schools) who was promoted from within. How is that any different from the prospect of promoting CLT to DC?

This is not the 1980s anymore. These coordinators like to move on and move up. Coordinators want to be head coaches, and they want to make a lot of money. Both making money and getting a variety of experience under a variety of head coaches requires job shopping. Get used to it.

The same applies to assistants who want to be coordinators. That is why Jeremy Pruitt did not stay at Alabama. That is probably why CLT bounced around between UAT, UTK, back to UAT, and to AU.

We are not going to get another Wayne Hall--a DC with decade long tenure. And given Hall's corruption nearly took down AU Football, it is a damn good thing those days are gone.

Going for the big names is fine to a point. The schemes and systems have to be compatible. Certainly Kelly's scheme is similar enough to CWMs to match. But it would be a huge mistake to get a big name DC with a different system.

If AU is the dumpster fire some believe it is, it has something to offer someone like CLT. Unless Kirby Smart is going to offer CLT the UGA DC job, we are probably his only prospect for a DC job. And even if CGM is dumped after next year, an SEC defensive assistant with solid experience under many HCs and FBS DC experience can find a job quick.

As for a secondary and LB coach, go for young assistants in FCS or non-Power 5 with ambition and a chip on their shoulder--guys who are looking for a step up to a Power 5 school.

You nailed it. It doesn't seem that Gus has a strong idea (or system in place) about what he wants his football team to be on offense AND defense.

I think that has been the case on defense...which is why every coach he has hired comes in with a new plan and the players have to start over with the basics.

I'm hoping that whoever gets hired this year is given a copy of CWM's playbook and told...this is the defense we want to run.....easier for one coach to learn new terminology, etc. than trying to teach it to 25 or more young players. I mean...does anyone think that bama will install a difference defense next season now that Smart is gone?

I'm hoping that whoever gets hired this year is given a copy of CWM's playbook and told...this is the defense we want to run.....easier for one coach to learn new terminology, etc. than trying to teach it to 25 or more young players.

Looks like Kelly runs a 3-4 with a Buck, too. (Probably already mentioned somewhere in the thread before I hopped on...)

Part of the reason we were successful on defense during Tub's reign was not just his "style" of defense staying the same (speedy 4-3) but basically keeping all of the assistant coaches regardless of the DC hired. Terry Price, Don Dunn, Joe Whitt (for a time until Benedict Willis came on board), and having the DC run the secondary - all these guys were constant on his staff because he knew and trusted what they could do. Same was true on the offensive side of the ball and it worked well as long as Tubs ran a traditional power offense - once he switched to the spread, there was incredible friction between Franklin and the assistants as has been noted numerous times. I'm not sure if there was ever friction between Tubs' DCs and his assistants but it never seemed to matter much since the defenses were mostly solid for a looong time.

I'm hoping that whoever gets hired this year is given a copy of CWM's playbook and told...this is the defense we want to run.....easier for one coach to learn new terminology, etc. than trying to teach it to 25 or more young players.

Looks like Kelly runs a 3-4 with a Buck, too. (Probably already mentioned somewhere in the thread before I hopped on...)

That is certainly good news if we can hire him.

Why would he leave FSU where Jimbo is well entrenched to come be Auburn's (can't even remember the number) DC in how many years under a coach entering next season on the hottest of hot seats?

I would be shocked if Gus was able to pull someone like Kelly....Auburn ties or not. This next DC is not walking into the best situation.

You said what I was thinkin AEAugirl. If you put yourself in his shoes, there is really no reason to leave a stable program to come to Auburn where Gus likely has one year to turn the ship or else. I am afraid this might be a tough sell to most of the proven DC's out there and we might be looking at an up in comer. We'll see I guess.

Part of the reason we were successful on defense during Tub's reign was not just his "style" of defense staying the same (speedy 4-3) but basically keeping all of the assistant coaches regardless of the DC hired. Terry Price, Don Dunn, Joe Whitt (for a time until Benedict Willis came on board), and having the DC run the secondary - all these guys were constant on his staff because he knew and trusted what they could do. Same was true on the offensive side of the ball and it worked well as long as Tubs ran a traditional power offense - once he switched to the spread, there was incredible friction between Franklin and the assistants as has been noted numerous times. I'm not sure if there was ever friction between Tubs' DCs and his assistants but it never seemed to matter much since the defenses were mostly solid for a looong time.

Good point. No chance of it happening again, I don't think, not even on Gus's side of the ball. And ultimately it might have led to Tubs's downfall. But it worked pretty well for a little while there.

Auburn COULD be a contender year in and year out. Again...they have to get out of their own way.

Wanna know a big reason Saban has been so successful at Bama? He told the AD from the get-go he wanted COMPLETE control. No meddling. That was a big problem at Bama before Saban, and its a problem at AU now and has been for a while.

The AD at AU is a BIG business, not a good ol boy's club...and should be run as such.

Pretty much spot on girl.

Can either of you elaborate on this? What is JJ doing that is hindering our success and preventing us from being a contender year in and year out? I'm asking because I really don't know. I do understand that sometimes the AD can have too much of a say in hiring actions and that definitely seems to be the case with JJ but beyond that, how is he hindering Malzahn and the football program from succeeding?

Please do elaborate. I would also love to understand the facts behind this commonly stated belief. Thanks! :jossun:

I know wde already said we got a no. Who else are we seriously considering? Odds we can convince Kelly?

If we did in fact offer just as a lateral with no incentives nor added salary, that is just a mistake. It seems like it would be possible to provide a great deal more pay and some semblance of security. Such as, a contract that would stipulate providing him a job inside AU Athletic Dept for "x-amount" of time (Off Field Recruiting Coordinator) if Gus goes down in flames (which I genuinely hope is not the case). Finding a veteran coach, relative same schemes, recruiter (especially in Florida), and Auburn man all in one is going to be hard to top. We stretched ourselves for Muschamp, the PTB should be able to find a very equitable win-win formula to make this work. Just my humble wishes I suppose.

I know wde already said we got a no. Who else are we seriously considering? Odds we can convince Kelly?

If we did in fact offer just as a lateral with no incentives nor added salary, that is just a mistake...

This did not happen.

Much of this stuff about need someone for the "Long Haul" is so much B.S. Jeremy Pruitt was a one and done at FSU, and FSU's defense performed fine before Pruitt and fine after Pruitt. While Kirby Smart was in for the long haul with Bama, his underlings rotated more than a volleyball team. We had 5 different DCs under Tubberville, and we were strong on defense during that era. It is not about coaches, it is about the system, and the schemes.

well said

It doesn't seem that Gus has a strong idea (or system in place) about what he wants his football team to be on offense AND defense.

I remember thinking the same thing about Gene Chizik....It seems like Gus is running around by the seat of his pants. He doesn't know what kind of offense OR defense he wants so everyone involved from the coordinators to the assistants on down to the players look confused and inept.

The Head Coach needs to know what kind of offense AND defense he wants to run, hire the dang coaches to impliment the scheme and recruit for that scheme. Evaluate the talent, bring it to campus and for God's sake DEVELOP the talent you have.

Is Gus an organized guy? Does he have a high level of attention to detail? Does he have a diffinitive plan? Is he able to communicate his plan to his staff in a way that they understand without a doubt what he expects them to accomplish?

Hopefully he wants to come to Auburn because of his Auburn ties and he would like some guarantees about longevity with the questions around Auburn at this time. I have no problem increasing the salary we offered him and I have no problem with some type of protection so he is not dumped in a year or two as any DC needs time to get his system working. I also have no problem with is demanding a good bit of control over who he hires on D side of the ball. That said I also think Auburn should not allow him to easily leave after a year or two like we did Muschamp. We need continuity as does he so we should be able to give him the money he wants while protecting him and protecting Auburn.

It doesn't seem that Gus has a strong idea (or system in place) about what he wants his football team to be on offense AND defense.

I remember thinking the same thing about Gene Chizik....It seems like Gus is running around by the seat of his pants. He doesn't know what kind of offense OR defense he wants so everyone involved from the coordinators to the assistants on down to the players look confused and inept.

The Head Coach needs to know what kind of offense AND defense he wants to run, hire the dang coaches to impliment the scheme and recruit for that scheme. Evaluate the talent, bring it to campus and for God's sake DEVELOP the talent you have.

Is Gus an organized guy? Does he have a high level of attention to detail? Does he have a diffinitive plan? Is he able to communicate his plan to his staff in a way that they understand without a doubt what he expects them to accomplish?

I disagree. Gus had a plan going into this season on offense. He wanted to elevate the passing game and use it to keep defenses honest rather than a running QB. When JJ fell apart, it called that plan into question, at least in the short term. Given that all three of our committed HS QBs plus the JUCO kid we are signing in January are all DT QBs, I think it's safe to say that Gus has a firm idea of what he wants to do offensively going forward.

Defense, he's going to be more subject to what defensive coordinator he gets. But, he does seem to like what Muschamp did and looks to be trying to find someone to continue in that vein. I don't see him going all over the map defensively. The ones he's considered (TRob, reportedly Lance Thompson and Charles Kelly) all run similar schemes to that.

I disagree. Gus had a plan going into this season on offense. He wanted to elevate the passing game and use it to keep defenses honest rather than a running QB. When JJ fell apart, it called that plan into question, at least in the short term. Given that all three of our committed HS QBs plus the JUCO kid we are signing in January are all DT QBs, I think it's safe to say that Gus has a firm idea of what he wants to do offensively going forward.

Defense, he's going to be more subject to what defensive coordinator he gets. But, he does seem to like what Muschamp did and looks to be trying to find someone to continue in that vein. I don't see him going all over the map defensively. The ones he's considered (TRob, reportedly Lance Thompson and Charles Kelly) all run similar schemes to that.

Great! I'm glad to know he has a plan in place for success. Now with better player development, better playcalling and better roster management during the season AU should be ok.

He wants a longer contract more $$ and wants a contingency in the contract if Gus gets fired next year he wants more $$.

WOW

Can't blame this guy. Read this board. I would be worried about life past Gus also if I was considering this move. Taking the DC job here next year is a risk.

Kelly would be able to continue what Muschamp started. The offense should be much better next year. Whether Auburn is championship level good remains to be seen but I think 9 wins is not unrealistic.

If we did in fact offer just as a lateral with no incentives nor added salary, that is just a mistake...

This did not happen.

We didn't offer or we didn't offer a lateral move with no incentives or added salary?

This did not happen.

We didn't offer or we didn't offer a lateral move with no incentives or added salary?

The second part from what I've gathered (no sources here, just from reading around the last 24 hours)

This did not happen.

WDE said we offered and got a 'no'. I didn't see anyone suggest that we offered no added salary, except in the above-quoted post. I take it that Titan was clarifying and stating that we didn't make a lateral-no-salary-increase offer to Kelly.

Archived