***Auburn 23 Vanderbilt 16 -- Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

I usually don't like to hear complaints about announcers but they kept talking about KP sliding to run the clock out? We were up 7 with 3 and a half minutes left. That made zero sense.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nobody is a pushover in the SEC....Vandy beat UGa and barely lost to Florida who is ranked.  AU injuries did not help but I think people have been thinking of the Vandy of old and not who they are now.      No question that SW makes a huge difference in the offense ...even when he is less than 100% with no practice leading up to the game.

Glad to have the win in a game when we did not play our best.

This exactly.  We survived someone's best against our worst, cemented by questionable to horrible officiating and injuries. As well, we got the TAMU loss with the AU win. I am grateful. Another experience for Auburn's arsenal bag and food for thought for wise future posts.

1 minute ago, AubieAH3 said:

Can someone with some officiating knowledge tell me if that blocked field goal was legal? I keep seeing conflicting info. I know in the NFL you can leap the line if you don't land on anyone, but some of the info I'm seeing says you can't leap the line in college at all. Was that a blown call or correct?

It was a heck of a play! real stud play

Can't land on anyone in a leap. he didn't, just jumped over everyone Cam Chancellor style. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Get over yourself dude. We scrapped the bed today, and were lucky to win. Team was poorly prepared, and played like it. Starting QB not withstanding. Perhaps Gus' 3rd real egg he has laid in his tenure. 1 being 2016 Clemson, 2014 UGA, and today.

Dog bark noted. Thank you!

1 minute ago, dmbseeker00 said:

The fan in me wants to put up 20 bucks in support. However, I will say, it's one thing about yelling at the refs during the game, but I don't think it would set a good example for our players, for our coaches to complain about officiating after the game. I mean we tell our players no excuses, so let's just let it be. Our players did step up today, in a big way. So much was against them in this game. They won with no excuses, despite the refs seemingly trying to change the outcome of a game. One of the holds called on Auburn around midfield in the fourth Q, the ref waited like 4 or 5 seconds after the ball carrier passed him, to throw the flag. It was really fishy.

Maybe don't call the refs out directly.... Just spend the entire presser with an iPad with footage, explaining patiently, over and over, what holding looks like, and the rule.

1 minute ago, WeagleAU said:

I seriously hope the SEC office investigates the officiating in this game.  There is no excuse for this crap. 

On the last drive the clock was at 00s before they hiked the ball when vandy made that long pass

the vandy defender jumped over the center and was offsides when he blocked the kick

not to mention multiple no calls on vandy holding all game long

the targeting call IMO was questionable at best

the list goes on....awful

I thought he was offside too. Other than that it looked legit. 

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

This exactly.  We survived someone's best against our worst, cemented by questionable to horrible officiating and injuries. As well, we got the TAMU loss with the AU win. I am grateful. Another experience for Auburn's arsenal bag and food for thought for wise future posts.

Hoping all can get well and play effectively next week.

3 minutes ago, AubieAH3 said:

Can someone with some officiating knowledge tell me if that blocked field goal was legal? I keep seeing conflicting info. I know in the NFL you can leap the line if you don't land on anyone, but some of the info I'm seeing says you can't leap the line in college at all. Was that a blown call or correct?

It's illegal to HURDLE in college football, unless you are the ball carrier.  It should have been a personal foul penalty on Vanderbilt.   It's definitely NOT legal.

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

It was a heck of a play! real stud play

Can't land on anyone in a leap. he didn't, just jumped over everyone Cam Chancellor style. 

Yep. and its ILLEGAL.

5 minutes ago, YankeeTiger24 said:

I'm not normally someone who gets into the whole "incompetent/crooked refs" thing, but this crew was freaking awful. It was the first time I'd ever thought a crew had action on the game. Holding penalties all on us, but Lawson or Adams never get held? Yeah right....Wish Gus would light this crew up.

I am sure Gus will send a package of missed calls to Steve Shaw this week. The officiating, especially in the second half, was as bad as I have seen. 

Just now, WarTiger said:

It's illegal to HURDLE in college football, unless you are the ball carrier.  It should have been a personal foul penalty on Vanderbilt.   It's definitely NOT legal.

Not that the refs know that. Or would call it on (whoever Auburn's opponent is) if they did.

Just now, WarTiger said:

Was not aware of this rule. Interesting if so but not surprising. 

4 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

ILLEGAL would be a better word for it.  Totally shocked the officials didn't flag that.  15 yard personal foul

I agree but can u explain why it's illegal. I think it's because he went directly over the center. 

Well,  odds are we won't beat bama, but one thing became clear today: if we do happen to play very well and have a shot at beating them, Bham will never allow that to happen. Other than that, maybe the strangest game I've seen in a while. Everything went wrong, played terrible, and somehow won. Be glad with the W and get back to work because we got a lot of work to be done.

Just now, gr82be said:

Was not aware of this rule. Interesting if so but not surprising. 

It's legal. if he touches the center it's a flag. didn't touch anyone

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Nope, didn't land on anyone. 

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.  It's ILLEGAL to hurdle in college football unless you have the ball.

SECTION 15. Hurdling
ARTICLE 1. a. Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump with one or
both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is still on his feet
(Rule
9-1-13).
b. “On his feet’’ means that no part of the opponent’s body other than one
or both feet is in contact with the ground.

Hurdling
ARTICLE 13. There shall be no hurdling (Exception: The ball carrier may
hurdle an opponent).

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I am sure Gus will send a package of missed calls to Steve Shaw this week. The officiating, especially in the second half, was as bad as I have seen. 

Steve Shaw is a bammer, not sure he'll care

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I'm sure he sent some last week. Shaw will just toss it in the trash with the other. 

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

It's legal. if he touches the center it's a flag. didn't touch anyone

The NFL rule is that if the defender touches anyone it's a foul. Not sure about college. :dunno:

WT is on top of things. 

10 minutes ago, AubieAH3 said:

All I can find in the full book, is it says "there shall be no hurdling (except offensive ball carrier)"

A few notes.

Vandy has a good defense.

Losing Kam is a killer.

Our redzone play calling reminded me of Clemson and TAM  

Passing defense is obviously our weakness. Teams are going to quick pass and screen us for the rest of the year. Vandy had no trouble passing on us for most of the game. The drive where they completed back to back to back 3rd and 10+ reminded me of our defense the last 8 years.

Playing without our starting 2 linebackers the entire game was tough. Made a difference  

the announcers were the most biased I have ever heard. Ever.

2 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.  It's ILLEGAL to hurdle in college football unless you have the ball.

SECTION 15. Hurdling
ARTICLE 1. a. Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump with one or
both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is still on his feet
(Rule
9-1-13).
b. “On his feet’’ means that no part of the opponent’s body other than one
or both feet is in contact with the ground.

Hurdling
ARTICLE 13. There shall be no hurdling (Exception: The ball carrier may
hurdle an opponent).

Did the center maybe have a paw on the ground?

Archived