***Auburn 23 Vanderbilt 16 -- Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I don't get the Tuesday reference. Perhaps I'm just blanking. 

However, I know I'm not the only one who thinks it's utterly corrupt that Shaw is a bammer and the SEC offices are located in Birmingham. I try not to be a conspiracy theorist when it comes to bama, but it's just too hard to not overlook it. 

I totally agree...but if there are PTB that can make him face it, they should, and he should have to. As for Tuesday, it's an election reference...not to get political, but truth is surfacing...requiring needed discernment from the "truth" that is created if you squeak or squawk loud, long, and repetitively enough. In Auburn's case, I vote for accountability to make Mr. Steve "handle the truth" regardless of what we think he might or might not do with it. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

You never seeing it called before trumps the word of a guy who's job it is to know the rules and who presents you with the text of the rule... got it.

You are mad at this guy, but war tiger is wrong lol.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

You never seeing it called before trumps the word of a guy who's job it is to know the rules and who presents you with the text of the rule... got it.

Guess what. you are wrong. They didn't call it. Guess who trumped what? Got it.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are mad at this guy, but war tiger is wrong lol.

You'd think people are upset more about the rule than the play. 

Been trying to let this go but people keep coming out of the wood work to try and pick internet arguments. 

23 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You do realize that you are arguing with an actual football ref, right?

Well, actually there was an actual football ref in JHS....7 of them in fact plus the guys in the booth.....so.....which one do you think might be right? 

Just now, johnnyAU said:

We're gonna have to throw the ball down field to win the remaining games, whether Gus and Rhett want to or not.

Right? SW has this team. No more JF3. No more being conservative. I don't know how banged up SW is, but I think if he would've come out and started, the whole mood would've been different. The fact that he didn't practice all week, but ended up playing shows me that the team's mentality felt that Vandy would be no issue. It showed on the field.

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

I am sure Gus will send a package of missed calls to Steve Shaw this week. The officiating, especially in the second half, was as bad as I have seen. 

Yeah, but we did get a break on the Pettway "fumble" which was so close it could have been called either way.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well, actually there was an actual football ref in JHS....7 of them in fact plus the guys in the booth.....so.....which one do you think might be right? 

Because refs never blow calls.  I guess that first play from the Bama vs A&M game wasn't targeting since it wasn't called.

1 minute ago, Grinder said:

Because refs never blow calls.  I guess that first play from the Bama vs A&M game wasn't targeting since it wasn't called.

There are judgment calls and violations of rules.....the blocked field goal was not a judgment type call.....he jumped the lineman....everyone saw it happen, nobody denied that he jumped the AU lineman.   The issue is whether that violated a rule and I have a hard time believing that every SEC official and coach in JHS did not know the rule. 

Geez seems like some people on here think Auburn lost. Guys relax we won he blocked the field goal. Have a few cold ones and watch the bama lsu game in a little. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I don't get the Tuesday reference. Perhaps I'm just blanking.

However, I know I'm not the only one who thinks it's utterly corrupt that Shaw is a bammer and the SEC offices are located in Birmingham. I try not to be a conspiracy theorist when it comes to bama, but it's just too hard to not overlook it.

Try corrupt and running for President (and no I'm not talking about Trump).

I think there is legitimate confusion from the refs on the rule of hurdling. There is a section that talks about leaping, and landing, which was NOT the rule that was broken.

There is an entirely different section that addresses hurdling. In that section it says hurdling by a defensive player is not allowed. This is not a sub section of the former. This was a section that was put in the rule book to address that exact type of play. Officials are confusing hurdling and leaping. It is very rare when someone hurdles a set lineman, and they normally lean to calling it a leap. That was most certainly a hurdle, which is also defined in the rule book.

Just because he did not break the 1st rule, does not mean you cannot break another rule in the rule book. 

So if you look at the play, and you say it was a hurdle....you have to call it illegal. The rule book says to do so.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

I missed a lot of this game but managed to see the last 3 minutes or so. Why couldn't a DT qb in JF3 get it done? I saw that he barely passed....I don't understand..if he's this bad at passing that you rarely run pass plays for him put him somewhere else. I don't mean to bash him. Dude is talented..can someone explain what got him pulled for a "banged up" Sean white besides what he didn't do passing the ball?

Maybe we need to work on more QB depth (long term)?

1 minute ago, dmbseeker00 said:

I think there is legitimate confusion from the refs on the rule of hurdling. There is a section that talks about leaping, and landing, which was NOT the rule that was broken.

There is an entirely different section that addresses hurdling. In that section it says hurdling by a defensive player is not allowed. This is not a sub section of the former. This was a section that was put in the rule book to address that exact type of play. Officials are confusing hurdling and leaping. It is very rare when someone hurdles a set lineman, and they normally lean to calling it a leap. That was most certainly a hurdle, which is also defined in the rule book.

Just because he did not break the 1st rule, does not mean you cannot break another rule in the rule book. 

So if you look at the play, and you say it was a hurdle....you have to call it illegal. The rule book says to do so.

So why would they make a rule that specifically ADDRESSES the ability to block field goals by leaping? The rule book gives you parameters for illegal and legal. It is in black and white. This is literally the only site, where people are complaining about it. I have already seen it on ESPN, CBS, etc. Not a peep about it being illegal, in fact quite the opposite with them citing the specific rule.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

So why would they make a rule that specifically ADDRESSES the ability to block field goals by leaping? The rule book gives you parameters for illegal and legal. It is in black and white. This is literally the only site, where people are complaining about it. I have already seen it on ESPN, CBS, etc. Not a peep about it being illegal, in fact quite the opposite with them citing the specific rule.

Because they are addressing a specific instance of what normally happens, a player leaping and landing on another player. That is what normally happens. They also have a rule of no hurdling. Are you saying it was not a hurdle?

With regards to what the media says, I mean I don't know what to say to you about taking what the media says to be correct. Are we now saying that hurdling is allowed by the NCAA?

16 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Geez seems like some people on here think Auburn lost. Guys relax we won he blocked the field goal. Have a few cold ones and watch the bama lsu game in a little. 

If you read the game thread during the first Vandy drive, you'd have thought we were getting killed 35-0. Some fans here are absolutely miserable and very comfortable in making it known. 

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well, considering their track record and showing today, I would say WT. I'm not sure the refs in JHS had ever seen a football before.

5 minutes ago, dmbseeker00 said:

Because they are addressing a specific instance of what normally happens, a player leaping and landing on another player. That is what normally happens. They also have a rule of no hurdling. Are you saying it was not a hurdle?

With regards to what the media says, I mean I don't know what to say to you about taking what the media says to be correct. Are we now saying that hurdling is allowed by the NCAA?

Me? I am not saying anything.

I can tell you what the NCAA says about it, though:

9-1-11-b

•  
  •  
  •  

No defensive player who runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps from beyond the neutral zone in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try may land on any player(s).

1. It is not a foul if the player was aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.
  2. It is not a foul if the player leaps from in or behind the neutral zone.
  3. It is not a foul if an offensive player initiates contact against the player who leaps.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

There are judgment calls and violations of rules.....the blocked field goal was not a judgment type call.....he jumped the lineman....everyone saw it happen, nobody denied that he jumped the AU lineman.   The issue is whether that violated a rule and I have a hard time believing that every SEC official and coach in JHS did not know the rule. 

Well,

I do recall (during the long review) that the TV commentators were slowly coming around to a consensus  that he jumped a gap, not a player. Seemed important to them.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Me? I am not saying anything.

I can tell you what the NCAA says about it, though:

9-1-11-b

•  
  •  
  •  

No defensive player who runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps from beyond the neutral zone in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try may land on any player(s).

1. It is not a foul if the player was aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.
  2. It is not a foul if the player leaps from in or behind the neutral zone.
  3. It is not a foul if an offensive player initiates contact against the player who leaps.

Ok...I just said 2 posts ago, that is not the rule they broke. Why are you quoting me the rule that was not broken? Here is the rule the rule they broke...

Hurdling

ARTICLE 13. There shall be no hurdling (Exception: The ball carrier may hurdle an opponent). 

Seems to me where this blocked kick was illegal was the fact that the player who blocked the kick was not lined up with in 1 yard of line of  scrimmage. He was at least two to three yards off the line and took a running start timed it perfectly (yes not off sides) but this made it an illegal block according to highlighted rule posted earlier.The two videos posted of Al  vs Lsu and the penn st block they both were lined up within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

Just  saying!  War Eagle! 

Just now, dmbseeker00 said:

Ok...I just said 2 posts ago, that is not the rule they broke. Why are you quoting me the rule that was not broken? Here is the rule the rule they broke...

Hurdling

ARTICLE 13. There shall be no hurdling (Exception: The ball carrier may hurdle an opponent). 

They did not break a rule! In the case of an obvious attempt to block an FG, you can leap over a crouched lineman, as long as you are within the neutral zone and do not land on any player. Therefore, it is not hurdling. 

7 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Well,

I do recall (during the long review) that the TV commentators were slowly coming around to a consensus  that he jumped a gap, not a player. Seemed important to them.

You have a point, if the announcers were correct...he hurdled directly over the head of the center. He practically went as over the middle of the center as you could.

Archived