Auburn with shot at Sugar Bowl

abw0004

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Other than a few malcontents Auburn fans have always supported the team.   Give us an interesting opponent and people will be there for the team.....

Outback was not happy with our showing versus Wisky 2 years ago. Lowest attendance for an AU bowl since 1996. We will travel but LSU will travel better to Nola. We won't ever here about it but I bet the Sugar Bowl bras lobbies hard to get the CFP committee to rank LSU higher than AU.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Outback was not happy with our showing versus Wisky 2 years ago. Lowest attendance for an AU bowl since 1996. We will travel but LSU will travel better to Nola. We won't ever here about it but I bet the Sugar Bowl bras lobbies hard to rank LSU higher than AU.

Personally that would be fine....NO is slightly more than a dump anyway...JMO

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Outback was not happy with our showing versus Wisky 2 years ago. Lowest attendance for an AU bowl since 1996. We will travel but LSU will travel better to Nola. We won't ever here about it but I bet the Sugar Bowl bras lobbies hard to get the CFP committee to rank LSU higher than AU.

Really don't feel bad for them not being happy. People could feel it for days and were threatening to not attend if we played Wisconsin again. People were tired of that matchup but they went ahead and did it anyway. AU generally travels well otherwise

I believe they try to put LsU in sugar but they have also made a point (at times) to rank head to head winners higher. The committee is slow at times, taking in consideration injuries is a joke. If they do that for us then we are in. 

LSU isn't ranked, tenn lost and so did Florida. I just have a hard time believing we are not going to be the next top ranked SEC team. I just don't see the committee going from unranked to top 15

5 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

LSU isn't ranked, tenn lost and so did Florida. I just have a hard time believing we are not going to be the next top ranked SEC team. I just don't see the committee going from unranked to top 15

Can't see too much credit over TAMU...that was a team going down the tubes....lost all their big games at the end of the season and not looking good doing it....not that we finished strong either...but as noted, Sugar Bowl...and mainly New Orleans does not have that much appeal personally.  That game has lost it's cache in recent years I think. 

8 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Well, I'm not sure which direction it will go.  But one thing I know is, it is a business. When it is all said and done, I would not be surprised if it is LSU to the Sugar over Auburn.

22 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

LSU won't have to be top 15 to jump us. We will be 18-20. They can definitely go from out to top 20, especially with 2 polls left.

Can you fault them for having LSU jumping us? We are limping towards the finish line and they have a renewed energy with coach O

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

Can you fault them for having LSU jumping us? We are limping towards the finish line and they have a renewed energy with coach O

Were both 2-2. only reason it may feel that way is they beat a&m and got a "new" coach.  i do not see lsu being ahead of us.  we lost yesterday but the sun still rose this morning.  it will be ok

3 hours ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Were both 2-2. only reason it may feel that way is they beat a&m and got a "new" coach.  i do not see lsu being ahead of us.  we lost yesterday but the sun still rose this morning.  it will be ok

The sun still rose this morning?! No ****. Either way, do not be surprised if LSU jumped us. If we played LSU tomorrow, I do not have any confidence we would win. Both teams are completely different. 

I don't think LSU will jump AU. AU is 13 in CP and LSU not even in the top 25 and they beat a team that was not in the top 25 and we have a head to head on them (something the CFP says does matter in their listing. The only way I see us not going to the SB would be that if UF beat AL they would go, and I don't see that happening. I suspect it will be a beat down for FLA. I really don't care if it is the SB or the Outback or Citrus. We are not really playing for anything except some practice time and that will mostly be on the defense. Unless Gus brings in a new OC for the bowl game the O will just sputter through it like they have. I don't think any QB playing in the bowl will be our starter next year, at least i hope not. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

The sun still rose this morning?! No ****. Either way, do not be surprised if LSU jumped us. If we played LSU tomorrow, I do not have any confidence we would win. Both teams are completely different. 

if we replayed that game with orgeron as LSU's coach, they would beat the s*** outa' us

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

LSU won't have to be top 15 to jump us. We will be 18-20. They can definitely go from out to top 20, especially with 2 polls left.

they won't have two polls. Where ever they are in relations to AU this week is where they will be next week also since neither plays next week. And again we were more than 12 spots ahead of them before we played. Most outside folks are saying that uat overcame us in the second half as it was close. Considering we played them at Ttown and they played at home I just don't see anywhere the CFP will put them ahead.

I hope we go bowling against someone with a crappy defense. If we end up playing FSU their defense (they sucked early, but have come to life) will blow our doors off yet again. We'd probably finish the season with 3 out of the 4 final games being held below 200 yds. In the words of Clark Griswold, "Hallelujah, holy ****. Where's the Tylenol?"

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Auburn stays ahead of LSU in both AP and Coaches poll.

Bodes well for our Sugar Bowl hopes. Committee usually falls pretty close.

Do you really think we are playing at a Sugar Bowl level at this point of the season? It would be nice to be invited but not so much if we get embarrassed on national TV. Our O is at a much lower level than it was at the end of last year´s Birmingham Bowl appearance.

5 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

If we go, we backed into it. The SEC has stunk it up conference-wise. 

The players need it for morale. 

Gus needs something to hang his visor/hat on this year. 

1 minute ago, Dan-0 said:

Do you really think we are playing at a Sugar Bowl level at this point of the season? It would be nice to be invited but not so much if we get embarrassed on national TV. Our O is at a much lower level than it was at the end of last year´s Birmingham Bowl appearance.

I'm not sharing an opinion. We're going to the Sugar Bowl is a summation of facts

"The SEC Sugar bid comes down to a team that lost its most recent game. Auburn lost at Bama, which is more forgivable than the recent deeds by Florida, Tennessee, and Texas A&M. LSU's good, but a scant 7-4."

Source

3 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I think we could beat OK. I don't believe their defense is good and I think our defense could get enough stops to allow our run game to win the game. 

2 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'm not sharing an opinion. We're going to the Sugar Bowl is a summation of facts

Yep...and JMO but despite the negativism, I don't think anyone is really looking forward to playing against AU's defense....and we have a month for something to happen regarding the injuries on offense.  

It's interesting that the outside world seems to have a more respect for AU than so many people on this board. Considering the schedule,  a top 20 finish and third highest in the SEC is not a bad ending for a really bunged up team.  

Well in the AP Poll - FL is 15, AU is 18 and LSU is 21 

UT and aTm dropped out

In the Coaches poll - FL is 16, AU is 19 and LSU is 21

UT and aTm dropped out

(source is ESPN today at time now)

Question now is how far will FL drop after Bama beats them in the SEC championship game  

Archived