Auburn with shot at Sugar Bowl

abw0004

It's funny how we are all so pissed off and half the board is calling for Gus to be fired, but we have a really good shot of playing in the Sugar Bowl. Weird season, guys.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

It's funny how we are all so pissed off and half the board is calling for Gus to be fired, but we have a really good shot of playing in the Sugar Bowl. Weird season, guys.

yah backdooring our way in at 8-4 is nothing to be proud about. Beating a really good and imo best offense in college football in Oklahoma would be a big boon. beating a blue blood on a national stage.

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'd say we've lost to pretty equal teams... just not so sure how we go from at least 13 spots ahead of them, lose to #1 team in nation, and go below them. Could see it from a fan perspective but it's not like AU will not travel well. Probably seeing through orange and blue glasses but I see the head to head as a big determining factor, especially considering we have same records. 

our 2 worst loss are worse than theirs:.aTm & UGA to UF and us. Sizable advantage there to LSU. We only have a slight advantage with the clemson loss to their Wisky loss.

True.  Being pissed off and earning a Sugar Bowl berth aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.  And I'm definitely the first.  But I guess 8-4 and a T25 finish is improvement over 7-6 and Birmingham.  Just kind of beginning to think the program is trending sideways instead of for another upswing and thats frustrating.

2 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

True.  If I'm honest, I see a 52/48 argument in favor of LSeww, which is the same as saying I have no clue at all what the committee will do.  But I'd guess (someone correct me if Im wrong), AU is looking at a likely Citrus vs FSU or Sugar vs Bedlam winner.  Both would be good opponents for the program, and I won't be too disappointed either way

Both look like losses without SW, who is very possibly not going to play, so neither is good iyam (unless you think losing the bowl game could get us a new coach)

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I guess technically once all the games are in the can they won't select, they will take, as you point out.  Pretty sure they will be holding their noses.  I wonder when the last time they had a four loss team was?

There's never been a four loss team get in the Sugar Bowl. I went and checked last night and three losses are the most a team has ever had that got in the Sugar Bowl. It's either going to be us or LSU and I'm thinking that LSU is the hottest team in the SEC behind Bama right now. So I think LSU is likely to get in. Plus they beat a ranked team in Texas A&M and we lost in a mostly non-competitive game against Alabama. LSU only lost 10-0 to Alabama and it was scoreless going into the 4th qurater of that game. LSU's got more momentum than we do right now. That UGA loss not only cost of a chance at the West, it's likely going to cost us the Sugar Bowl as well. :no:

4 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

True.  If I'm honest, I see a 52/48 argument in favor of LSeww, which is the same as saying I have no clue at all what the committee will do.  But I'd guess (someone correct me if Im wrong), AU is looking at a likely Citrus vs FSU or Sugar vs Bedlam winner.  Both would be good opponents for the program, and I won't be too disappointed either way

FSU will go to the Orange Bowl. The Citrus will get Va. Tech or Louisville.

Just now, FoundationEagle said:

Both look like losses without SW, who is very possibly not going to play, so neither is good iyam (unless you think losing the bowl game could get us a new coach)

And I think we both agree, nothing is going to get us that this year.  Probably dust off the AU playbook of *insert exciting coach/recruit addition in January*, *see awesomeness on the field at A-day*, *start predicting 11-1 and SEC Championship around July*, and ease back into disappointment around mid-September.  Rinse.  Repeat.

1 minute ago, FoundationEagle said:

oklahoma has a awful defense. We could play jf3 and gash them all day imo. Would we stop them enough??? Dunno.

I still don't understand how an LSU team with the same record as Auburn who finishes behind Auburn, as well as lost to Auburn, gets picked for the Sugar Bowl over Auburn...

33 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Yep. Also have to consider fans. 90 percent of LSU fans are excited to see their bowl game. 90 percent of AU fans will be wishing for a new coach. Just think, if we were the ones who had lost that LSU game... 1/4 of a second from being closer to no Gus.

No more likes, but This ^^ Sugarbowl is in New Orleans! Wouldn't be surprised to see a LSU bump

I don't think that they can just pick them over us. For the Sugar and Citrus bowl, it would have to go in order. If they moved us down a lot after losing to the best team in the country, and then moved LSU up a ton for beating a mediocre Texas AM, I'd be surprised. 

7 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I still don't understand how an LSU team with the same record as Auburn who finishes behind Auburn, as well as lost to Auburn, gets picked for the Sugar Bowl over Auburn...

As I've already said a couple of times the Sugar has no choice. They have to take the highest ranked SEC team in the CFP rankings if the SEC champ is not available and the committee could jump LSU  over us despite the head to head win using the escuse that LSU had a better resume through having better losses. I won't say likely but it's a very real possibility folks.

I think that we are looking at around a 5 spot drop, at the most. We only got beat by 16 to the most dominate team in CF, on the road. That puts us at 18. They'd have to move LSU from unranked to 17 for beating Texas AM. I don't see that happening. 

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

As I've already said a couple of times the Sugar has no choice. They have to take the highest ranked SEC team in the CFP rankings if the SEC champ is not available and the committee could jump LSU  over us despite the head to head win using the escuse that LSU had a better resume through having better losses. I won't say likely but it's a very real possibility folks.

I hear you.  I just don't see it, but anyways I guess will see shortly 

Show me a link that says the Sugar has to take the highest ranked SEC team. All I see is that the bowl selects a replacement from the SEC. The Sugar can take anyone they want. And from what I'm hearing, the Sugar Bowl committee is leaning towards Auburn.

From the CFP rankings going into this week's game:

#13 Auburn lost
#15 Florida lost
#16 Nebraska lost
#17 Tennessee lost
#19 Boise State lost
#20 Houston lost
#22 Utah lost
#23 Washington State lost

LSU beat Texas A&M. It's conceivable that LSU jumps up to say #16 and we drop to #18 or #19. Despite head to head records. I mean, they had Houston ranked ahead of Navy, even though Navy beat Houston. 

I think that we are looking at around a 5 spot drop, at the most. That puts us at 18. They'd have to move LSU from untangled to 17 for beating Texas AM. I don't see that happening. 

They have 2 polls left to do it. As I posted earlier they could get them close to us this week and jump us on Selection Sunday without either team playing using the resume excuse I already said.

2 minutes ago, feindav said:

Show me a link that says the Sugar has to take the highest ranked SEC team. All I see is that the bowl selects a replacement from the SEC. The Sugar can take anyone they want. And from what I'm hearing, the Sugar Bowl committee is leaning towards Auburn.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_to_college_bowl_games

2 minutes ago, feindav said:

Commisioner Slive said it at the Fall SEC meetings right after the CFP was started.

How about a LSU to the Sugar, AU to the Orange, and UF to the Citrus? 

After the Sugar fills it's spot, the Orange Bowl can select an SEC team. To me, either one would be great and a nice little boost for the program, and we could use a boost right now. 

Archived