Auburn to Sugar vs. Oklahoma

WarTiger

Sugar_Bowl2017.png

SUPPORT AUFAMILY.COM >>> Buy your tickets here:  http://bit.ly/SugarBowl2016

Auburn-Oklahoma will kick off at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 2 -- that's a Monday -- in the Superdome.

"I'm excited for our players, coaches and the Auburn family to experience one of the best bowl games in all of college football," said Auburn coach Gus Malzahn in a statement. "We can't wait for this opportunity and look forward to our trip to New Orleans."

Jay Jacobs, Auburn's Director of Athletics, said in a statement the Sugar Bowl is "an outstanding match-up for our team and a great bowl trip for the Auburn family."

"I'm especially happy for our seniors, who will have a chance to play in a big-time game environment one more time as Auburn Tigers. Playing in the Sugar Bowl in 1983 was a highlight for me and our team, so I know from experience it's a special experience. The hospitality is second to none in New Orleans, and I look forward to enjoying it with our loyal fans."

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said on ESPN that his Sooners are excited to play in the Sugar Bowl after winning the Big XII.

"Now we'll be challenged again to be in a major bowl against another excellent football team," he said.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120416aag.html

"We're very excited for the opportunity to host these great representatives of the SEC and the Big 12," said Chuck Lapeyre, the President of the Sugar Bowl Committee. "Both teams have had outstanding seasons and bring exciting styles of play to New Orleans. This will be another wonderful opportunity for us to welcome thousands of fans to this great city and show off all it has to offer - world-class cuisine, trend-setting music, outstanding gridiron competition and more. We look forward to showcasing our unique flavor of hospitality to the players, coaches, administrators and fans from these two great universities."

"One of the Sugar Bowl's primary objectives has been to preserve its great history while also ensuring a bright and healthy future," said CEO Paul Hoolahan. "This year's matchup will highlight one of the games from our past as Auburn and Oklahoma also played in our game 45 years ago. With our relationship with the Big 12 and SEC stretching through the 2026 game, we can confidently say the present and future look as good as our past."

http://allstatesugarbowl.org/site.php?pageID=19&newsID=1120#.WESMGbIrLIV

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we had a good season. Considering how we started the year we pulled it out. The worst part was a loss to Georgia that shouldn't have happened.

Doesn't wipe out the worrying coaching philosophies/deficiencies we discuss ad nauseam on this board, but more than anything these players deserve a high-profile game like this.  So happy for them.  War eagle, guys!

Yay Rah!

WDE

#1 on my wish list:

Everybody healthy in time to

Beat Sooners,

rather than later.

Very happy for the players. Now let's end the season by beating a top 10 team and throwing ourselves into the top 10. It would be a very good season to finish ranked that high. Without ignoring our issues I really like how a year that should've actually been better yields us a possible top 10 finish.

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

I wonder what the tune of this board will be when we put 40+ on Okie...

Help me to understand how in the heck that happens?

Cross the goal line. Ref raises arms. Simple really...?

Actually this is vary good game to end the season on as far as recruiting. I also think it will propel our preseason ranking for next year. This could actually be very good place for us no matter how we got here. WDE

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Give Gus and the coaching staff a contract extension because they've finally figured it out?

Malzahn ranked Oklahoma, which won the Big XII and will likely face Auburn in the Sugar Bowl, No. 6. Interestingly, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops ranked his own squad No. 4 and has Auburn No. 19, behind Florida (No. 16), in his final ballot.

I hope we show Stoops that we are a top 10 team by beating OU's tail in the Bowl game; he has never ranked us where we deserve to be ranked, including 2004.

Just now, WFE12 said:

Help me to understand how in the heck that happens?

Our offense will be the healthiest we've been in 3 months, and Oklahoma's defense is turrible. Elementary my dear WFE12

4 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Give Gus and the coaching staff a contract extension because they've finally figured it out?

Already happening for Gus  http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/12/auburns_sugar_bowl_berth_trigg.html#incart_river_index

8 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Probably contentment since we are paying an offensive minded coach to put us in a position to score a lot of points. Right?

9 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

That's just a bonus of 200K...no extension. I would say kudos to Gus and his agent...plus the sugar bowl does pay a nice little check back to the league.

If anyone at the beginning of the season was asked if they would take the Sugar Bowl, they wouldn't even blink before saying YES!  So happy for the seniors.  War Eagle!

17 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Our offense will be the healthiest we've been in 3 months, and Oklahoma's defense is turrible. Elementary my dear WFE12

Ok because I'm not familiar with Oklahoma this year besides of their passing offense being very good... didn't know they had bad defense 

Archived