Auburn to Sugar vs. Oklahoma

WarTiger

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

That's just a bonus of 200K...no extension. I would say kudos to Gus and his agent...plus the sugar bowl does pay a nice little check back to the league.

Yes- I should have said bonus: well I guess he can buy Kristi a matching BMW now.

War Eagle! Even though the season didn't turn out quite like we all hoped it's still a big deal to get to play in a New Year 6 game and be ranked in the top 15. Always good for exposure and recruiting. Hope we can get fully healthy and take care of business! 

just think how much fun it would be if we put a whoopin on the okies like we put on arkie?

As I said in the other thread, I like that we are playing Oklahoma. Gives us a big time opponent in a big time game to prepare for. With their defensive ranking, one would expect that if our backfield is healthy we should be able to run it down their throats. Even without a completely healthy backfield we should be able to score a good amount with a months worth of work put towards the game plan. 

With Oklahoma and their roster/staff they should be able to score on our defense. Mayfield is a big time QB with a lot of experience (he's closing in on 10k career passing yards with 86 TDs to go along with that). hopefully our dline can get after him and rattle him a little faster than we did against Miss and Vandy. 

I think it'll end up being a good test for both sides of the ball, coaching wise and it gives us a different opponent.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Ok because I'm not familiar with Oklahoma this year besides of their passing offense being very good... didn't know they had bad defense 

Texas Tech vs Oklahoma
  1 2 3 4   Total
Oklahoma 13 17 21 15   66
Texas Tech 10 14 14 21   59

If I'm right, the last time Auburn played Oklahoma was on Jan. 1, 1971 in the Sugar bowl. We lost 40-22. I pray and hope our coaches will do something they haven't been to do much of this season. That is have the players fired up and take Oklahoma down. And if we somehow jump out to a 21 point lead or more, Malzahn and Lashlee doesn't take their foot off the gas. But if we keep going 3 plays and punt or turn the ball over, Oklahoma will kill us.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Ok because I'm not familiar with Oklahoma this year besides of their passing offense being very good... didn't know they had bad defense 

Bad is an understatement.  Their run defense in particular is SAWFT.

Also, hotel is already booked!  Meeting my step-dad in NOLA for a father/son weekend.  Can't wait!

This game is huge on every level. Gus has to have a plan and a backup plan for the QB. If AU is healthy on both sides of the ball AU has a chance to make a statement and solidify a positive off season for Gus. This game is just as important for next year as it is for this year. momentum is a funny thing 

45 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

just think how much fun it would be if we put a whoopin on the okies like we put on arkie?

With their run defense, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

War Eagle!

Great for our young men, especially the seniors. Sugar Bowl is a great reward and can only help with recruiting .

Also, I really want to see us beat Stoops after some of his comments and whining in the recent past. Especially since another team, which shall remain nameless, couldn't take care of business against them.

WDE!  

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Oh they're awful defensively.

This is a good matchup for us. Their weaknesses correspond with our strengths. If we're healthy, I think we pull it out. 

2 hours ago, WinningTradition said:

I think we had a good season. Considering how we started the year we pulled it out. The worst part was a loss to Georgia that shouldn't have happened. 

You know as much as we hated losing that game I don't think it really mattered at all .   Nothing would've been different with a win  as far as where we landed in bowls 

Not many games could really be one sided either way,  yet this is what we have in this game. 

If Auburn gets healthy the run game could be a real force against their less than average defense. Auburn will need both Bubba and Sean White to be back at full strength. IF this happens and IF the coaches get this team prepared for a shootout,  Auburn could dominate this game. Somewhere along the lines of 52-30.

If Sean White and Pettway aren't healthy, OR even if they are,  and the coaches don't have them prepared properly, things could get ugly for Auburn with a quickness. Mayfield is one of the better QB prospects in the nation.  He WILL get his yards.  But without Auburn being full strength, or not being properly prepared to play (game plan and execution) this game could get out of hand...along the lines of 45-7.

The advantage for Auburn is time. Time gives Auburn time to heal. Also I feel our defense can hold us in this game.  But if it's 3 and out over and over, they won't be able to hold us in it forever. 

This game makes me nervous. Sooooooooooooooooooo many variables... 

Oklahoma is giving up 160 yards a game rushing and they are allowing 29.7 points per game.  That bodes well for our offense.

Just now, WarTiger said:

Oklahoma is giving up 160 yards a game rushing and they are allowing 29.7 points per game.  That bodes well for our offense.

That's provided our OL is healed up. If KP and SW are ready to go I like our chances. 

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Help me to understand how in the heck that happens?

We score as many TD's against Oklahoma as we got 1st downs against Alabama.

Archived