AUF Anglers

The skunk is still on. Had ice on the ponds yesterday, but I tossed around anyway. Went today, ice gone, but the water is still pretty chilly. Super windy too. Our pool is 47 degrees, so I can only assume pond temps are lower due to wind chill--at least that's what logic says to me.

Hoping this "warm front" will drive up the water temps to a more fun level of fishing. But we're still expecting rain and clouds for the next 4 or 5 days.

Getting frustrated. Bring on Spring or some more consistent warmer weather at the very least.

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

On 1/10/2017 at 6:41 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

The skunk is still on. Had ice on the ponds yesterday, but I tossed around anyway. Went today, ice gone, but the water is still pretty chilly. Super windy too. Our pool is 47 degrees, so I can only assume pond temps are lower due to wind chill--at least that's what logic says to me.

Hoping this "warm front" will drive up the water temps to a more fun level of fishing. But we're still expecting rain and clouds for the next 4 or 5 days.

Getting frustrated. Bring on Spring or some more consistent warmer weather at the very least.

72 degrees on the gulf  coast today and climbing for the weekend. Think I am going to do some fresh/brackish water kayak fishing. Do not do any social media other than this board but will learn how to post pictures. big problem is that I do not carry a phone while fishing.

On 12/6/2016 at 10:38 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I started a thread recently, but zapped it because I included my face. If you were (un)lucky enough to catch a glimpse of my mug, I'm sorry. 

Anyway. 

Let's talk fishing. Fresh or salt. All species. Bank or boat. What are you guys throwing, what kind of advice can you provide? Pics encouraged!

I strictly target largemouth bass. So let's get this thread going with a giant bass I wrangled in yesterday in 40 degree temperature:

H2lgypX.jpg

@SaltyTiger @AUFAN78 tagging you guys because I know you fish regularly. 

Former Auburn Fisherman Anthony Goggans is killin it on the Alabama Bass Trail... this is by far, the BEST amateur team trail in the nation. And on the best lakes in the nation!

• Like 1

On January 12, 2017 at 6:26 PM, SaltyTiger said:

72 degrees on the gulf  coast today and climbing for the weekend. Think I am going to do some fresh/brackish water kayak fishing. Do not do any social media other than this board but will learn how to post pictures. big problem is that I do not carry a phone while fishing.

I'm in PCB til Monday morning and I may pier fish Sunday. Tomorrow looks to be ?? weather with a high of 76. 

20 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I'm in PCB til Monday morning and I may pier fish Sunday. Tomorrow looks to be ?? weather with a high of 76. 

Went out at Andrews Sound (Tyndall) this morning in the kayaks. Beautiful morning but no fish. Caught a few small pompano and several 18" bonnet sharks on Mexico Beach this afternoon. Doing some serious trout/red fishing Monday morning. Gorgeous weekend. Enjoy PCB. Great time to be here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Went out at Andrews Sound (Tyndall) this morning in the kayaks. Beautiful morning but no fish. Caught a few small pompano and several 18" bonnet sharks on Mexico Beach this afternoon. Doing some serious trout/red fishing Monday morning. Gorgeous weekend. Enjoy PCB. Great time to be here.

Today was about as good as it gets for January 14th. Hung out with a surf fisherman for a bit and watched him catch a 3ft bull shark. That was it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Today was about as good as it gets for January 14th. Hung out with a surf fisherman for a bit and watched him catch a 3ft bull shark. That was it.

Ditto on not much better for January. Lot of the kids and snowbirds still playing in the water. People can say what want about PCB but one thing is constant. Hard to find a nicer beach anywhere. Especially this time of year. Some great food also. have a big weekend emt. 

Finally got rid of the skunk. Caught 4, snapped 3. Came across a school of shad and the bass were feasting. Nailed 3 on almost back to back to back casts. Now that I have a scale: smallest was 1.45lbs, biggest was 3.5(on the left).

I was able to target the biggest one because he kept thrashing about on the shad, threw only one cast out by him and he smashed it. Caught 3 on my favorite lure, ghost shad lipless and 1 on a shad spinnerbait.

uMl8e5F.jpg

Feels very good to get back on bass after a very long slump. AND I finally caught something or 3 on my new reel/rod that I got for Christmas. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

Fished Lay Lake Saturday with an old friend. Got a bit of a late start, but still managed to catch 11spots and one largemouth. Best 5 weighed 12-13lbs. Had most of our weight by 10:00 a.m. and it simply shut down. Caught only 4 fish from 10:00-2:00 with one near 3lbs off a laydown. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, jerkbaits and jigs. Water temps up to 59 degrees at the end of the day. 

• Like 2

I also want to add that I'm so glad I drove 30 minutes away to the next closest Academy to get my preferred lure h20 Express Ghost Shad(the one that landed 3 of my 4, and most of my fish for the past 6 months).

10179895.jpg?is=150,150

They were resetting the crankbait aisle at the one 5 minutes from my house. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I also want to add that I'm so glad I drove 30 minutes away to the next closest Academy to get my preferred lure h20 Express Ghost Shad(the one that landed 3 of my 4, and most of my fish for the past 6 months).

10179895.jpg?is=150,150

They were resetting the crankbait aisle at the one 5 minutes from my house. 

I'd buy the whole rack of those bad boys!

15 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Few PCB pier finds 1/15/17

1-15-17 PCB2.jpg

1-15-17 PCB.jpg

Very nice! Permit and sheepshead. Live shrimp?

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Sheepshead have the creepiest damn teeth on any animal not named human. 

Dude, you should try and lip a red snapper. On second thought, don't. Seriously, you are right about the sheepshead. Many fish in the sea aren't meant to be handled in the same fashion as fresh water fishes. They will hurt you!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Very nice! Permit and sheepshead. Live shrimp?

Fiddler crabs and shrimp. The Sheepshead seemed to only want the crabs.

On 1/16/2017 at 10:47 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Dude, you should try and lip a red snapper. On second thought, don't. Seriously, you are right about the sheepshead. Many fish in the sea aren't meant to be handled in the same fashion as fresh water fishes. They will hurt you!

Great warning 78. never reach into the gill plate. = razor blades in a lot of fish. may sound gross but transport with grasp through the eyeballs.

Thanks for the thread again. keep it at top guys

Had another good day. Landed 5, though I hooked up on 7. My first 2 jumped off in the first 10 minutes or so of cast. Thought that was going to be a very bad omen. Largest crappie I've ever caught, at just over a pound. Largest bass was 4lb, second largest was 2. 

k4R6rUD.jpg

• Like 3

Image may contain: outdoor, water and nature

Lake Martin 6.3lb largemouth 1/25/17 around 10:15 fishing shallow cover with a Terminator jig and Berkley bama bug craw. Best five came in at 15.5lbs (3 largemouth 2 spots). I think I caught 8 total. Water temp was 57 degrees and wind 5-10 out of the northwest.

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 3

West Point Lake this past Sunday. Striped Bass are running near the mouth of Wehadkee Creek.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sunglasses, child, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: 1 person, cloud, sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature