Softball vs. Mercer - Game Thread

WarTiger

Draper drops a bunt down again and pushes to the 1st base side but a little more out in front instead of down the line and there's no play at all at 1st.  Runners on 1st and 2nd for Auburn and Carlee Wallace.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wallace rips one into right center and to the wall.  Podany and Draper score with ease and Auburn leads 4-1.  Wallace stands in at 2nd with no outs.  Kasey Cooper up.

Well, as it will be most of the year, Mercer gave Cooper nothing to hit and walks her.  Runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs for Haley Fagan.

1st pitch, Fagan drops a bunt down to the 3rd base side and there's no play anywhere.   Bases loaded with no outs for Kendall Veach

Veach chops it to short throw to 1st.  run scores.  Auburn leads 5-1.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out for pinch hitter  Madi Gipson (hitting for Abbott)

Gipson drops one just over the head of the 3rd baseman and into left.  Cooper scores. throw goes to 3rd and Gipson takes 2nd.   Runners on 2nd and 3rd again with 1 out for Alyssa River (pinch hitting for Jordan).  1  out

Rivera grounds to short and the throw is barely in time.  Fagan scores.  2 outs.  Runner on 3rd and Auburn leads 7-1

Draper slaps one over short and into left field.  Runner on 1st with 1 out for  Courtney Shea pinch hitting for Wallace

Shea singles under the glove of the diving 2nd baseman and into center.  Draper scores with ease.  8-1 Tigers.  Kasey Cooper up with Shea on 1st.

Veach with a slow roller to short and shortstop fields it but can't get it out of her glove cleanly and Auburn has the bases loaded with 2 outs.  Pinch hitter, Justus Perry up. 

Perry lines one to center and it drops for her first hit of her Auburn career and drives in 2.   Auburn leads 10-1, runners on 2nd and 3rd as Perry takes 2nd on the throw home.  Alyssa Rivera up.  She chops the 1st pitch to the pitcher and that ends the inning.  Auburn leads 10-1 going to the bottom 5th. 

Great job of hitting to manufacture runs.  Victoria had a heck of a day.  Great jobs by the newcomers as well. 

7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Draper now hitting .500 on the year.  Will Coach leave her in the 9 hole?  Probably 80-90 more at-bats if she's in the 1 or 2 spot.  

Several schools of thought about this. I always liked speed at leadoff, which Wallace does not have. Draper would give us that. Also, I fully understand the reasons for having Cooper bat 1 or 2, but that doesn't mean I like the idea, it just seems odd to me. Now, what little I know about softball is carryover from playing and coaching baseball. So, when Coach Meyers runs out of ideas he knows he can just call me and I'll tell him how to do it! :)

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Several schools of thought about this. I always liked speed at leadoff, which Wallace does not have. Draper would give us that. Also, I fully understand the reasons for having Cooper bat 1 or 2, but that doesn't mean I like the idea, it just seems odd to me. Now, what little I know about softball is carryover from playing and coaching baseball. So, when Coach Meyers runs out of ideas he knows he can just call me and I'll tell him how to do it! :)

Mostly I hope we come up with a good bat behind Kasey.....to give her a chance to see some good pitches.  I know for most batters a walk is as good as a hit as we used to say....but in her case we lose the potential of an extra base hit when she is walked.

Expect the coach is just still working out the line-ups and things will change when some of the newer players are better known.

And PS....Draper has not been a .500 hitter for long....guess we see how her hitting holds up.

Archived