Ole Miss

McLoofus

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never going to give them the death penalty. After what happened at SMU, no way the NCAA does that to another large school with such a big income. $$ talks. If they were going to do it again, it would've happened to Bama back in the mid-00s right before the coaching carousel that led em to the Midget got started.

3 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

Never going to give them the death penalty. After what happened at SMU, no way the NCAA does that to another large school with such a big income. $$ talks. If they were going to do it again, it would've happened to Bama back in the mid-00s right before the coaching carousel that led em to the Midget got started.

Not only that, but what they have alleged at Ole Miss doesn't even come close to what was happening at SMU. Granted, many of the allegations are very serious - and I think we have to assume that the allegations are only what the NCAA had enough evidence to prove. Certainly, there was a lot more going on. 

That being said, if the lack of institutional control, and charge against Hugh Freeze hold up, Freeze will likely be suspended and eventually fired. Couple that with the bowl ban, the loss of scholarships and the money Ole Miss is giving up, their program is going to be in the dumpster for a long time - even without additional penalties. 

They were talking about this on Finebaum yesterday, but the most interesting thing to come out of this story is the allegation involving a player from another school. It begs the question, if Ole Miss was paying a player who didn't end up going to school there, what did their current school offer them that was better? What kind of precedent does this set? The NCAA setting up shop on rival campuses, granting their players - and presumably their schools immunity to talk about a rival? 

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

They were talking about this on Finebaum yesterday, but the most interesting thing to come out of this story is the allegation involving a player from another school. It begs the question, if Ole Miss was paying a player who didn't end up going to school there, what did their current school offer them that was better? What kind of precedent does this set? The NCAA setting up shop on rival campuses, granting their players - and presumably their schools immunity to talk about a rival? 

This is the only way the NCAA can gather their information, they don't have subpoena power.  Hell, they came straight to Auburn because those multiple "hunting trips" orchestrated by OleMiss coaches on a boosters land was our own damn player.  

The NCAA told Auburn to cooperate, our player would be be interviewed and to get him to tell the truth they offered him immunity.  The NCAA already had the basic facts of the impermissible activities, they just got corroboration of their findings from our player who received the "benefits" from the hunting trips.

OM was literally paying recruits to visit their campus and paying them again to NOT take visits to other programs.  They were throwing $$ around all over the place even while under NCAA investigation.  

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

This is the only way the NCAA can gather their information, they don't have subpoena power.  Hell, they came straight to Auburn because those multiple "hunting trips" orchestrated by OleMiss coaches on a boosters land was our own damn player.  

The NCAA told Auburn to cooperate, our player would be be interviewed and to get him to tell the truth they offered him immunity.  The NCAA already had the basic facts of the impermissible activities, they just got corroboration of their findings from our player who received the "benefits" from the hunting trips.

I don't like it. If the NCAA was investigating Auburn and started going to Tuscaloosa to interview their players about us, how would you feel? That's exactly what they did in this case, going to Starkville. 

14 hours ago, Ber798297 said:

So here's my question... does the NCAA know the identity of Student Athlete B (who enrolled at another institution)?  If so, wouldn't that student athlete be ruled ineligible?  Or was a deal struck (like immunity)?

Yes they do. From what I have seen it's a current Miss State player. 

14 hours ago, Ber798297 said:

So here's my question... does the NCAA know the identity of Student Athlete B (who enrolled at another institution)?  If so, wouldn't that student athlete be ruled ineligible?  Or was a deal struck (like immunity)?

Of course they know the identity of every individual they interviewed and named in the notice of allegations, how else would they have known which one's to investigate?  They offered immunity to student-athletes in return for truthful cooperation.  They've been doing this for years, this isn't the first time the NCAA has offered immunity to get the truth out of an individual.  

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Of course they know the identity of every individual they interviewed and named in the notice of allegations, how else would they have known which one's to investigate?  They offered immunity to student-athletes in return for truthful cooperation.  They've been doing this for years, this isn't the first time the NCAA has offered immunity to get the truth out of an individual.  

I don't care how long the've been doing it. It's a conflict of interest, and I think it's a suspect method for gathering "truthful" information. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

I don't care how long the've been doing it. It's a conflict of interest, and I think it's a suspect method for gathering "truthful" information. 

Well, the NCAA could just screw MSU/AU/UAT and rule the players ineligible because those kids did indeed accept impermissible benefits from Ole Miss in one form or another.  I don't think MSU wants to be without Leo Lewis, we don't want to be without Austin Golson, and UAT doesn't want to be without Bo Scarbrough.  There are a slew of other student-athletes that the NCAA gathered in their damn near 5 yr investigation.  

My God, OleMiss was still wheeling and dealing with recruits even after they received their 1st NOA letter this same time last year.  Over half a dozen OleMiss boosters have been disassociated and nearly as many men/coaches have lost their jobs because they were involved in this crap. 

Just now, keesler said:

Well, the NCAA could just screw MSU/AU/UAT and rule the players ineligible because those kids did indeed accept impermissible benefits from Ole Miss in one form or another.  I don't think MSU wants to be without Leo Lewis, we don't want to be without Austin Golson, and UAT doesn't want to be without Bo Scarbrough.  There are a slew of other student-athletes that the NCAA gathered in their damn near 5 yr investigation.  

My God, OleMiss was still wheeling and dealing with recruits even after they received their 1st NOA letter this same time last year.  Over half a dozen OleMiss boosters have been disassociated and nearly as many men/coaches have lost their jobs because they were involved in this crap. 

My argument isn't a defense of Ole Miss. It's a critique of one aspect of the investigation. You don't need to convince me that Ole Miss was doing something wrong here. 

It seems to me that Ole Miss made the mistake of not keeping layers between staff and recruits. From what I've heard, the correct way to play the game is for staff to always have plausible deniability. It does seem like the NCAA is oddly aggressive here, and it's really hard not to consider the possibility of a nudge from that smelly town just across the state line from Oxford, but when the NCAA is alleging inappropriate contact directly between a staff member and a recruit... I mean, that seems kinda bad.

Say what you will about the turds, but I have a diehard bammer buddy who told me that he knows a bammer bagman... who doesn't even know he's a bagman. And whoever he's delivering the package for probably didn't discuss it directly with any coaches. 

Every time I hear LOIC I think Low Orbit Ion Cannon. So I made a quick and dirty gif. F6EDEF3B-B661-42C6-A57C-0747A570A78D_zps

Just now, McLoofus said:

It seems to me that Ole Miss made the mistake of not keeping layers between staff and recruits. From what I've heard, the correct way to play the game is for staff to always have plausible deniability. It does seem like the NCAA is oddly aggressive here, and it's really hard not to consider the possibility of a nudge from that smelly town just across the state line from Oxford, but when the NCAA is alleging inappropriate contact directly between a staff member and a recruit... I mean, that seems kinda bad.

Say what you will about the turds, but I have a diehard bammer buddy who told me that he knows a bammer bagman... who doesn't even know he's a bagman. And whoever he's delivering the package for probably didn't discuss it directly with any coaches. 

Well, and that's just it. The NCAA can walk onto any campus and find a violation if they want to. Look hard enough and you are going to find something - depending upon the scope of their investigation. 

There's a lot that was going on at Ole Miss that the NCAA didn't find. I think that's a reasonable conclusion to draw. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

My argument isn't a defense of Ole Miss. It's a critique of one aspect of the investigation. You don't need to convince me that Ole Miss was doing something wrong here. 

The NCAA is a dysfunctional and inept organization, look no further than the Miami investigation and the on-going North Carolina academic fraud investigation.  It is also a voluntary organization made up and governed by member institutions.  I abhor the tactics they use to investigation and penalize programs, but at the present time there is no alternative organization in place.

Just now, keesler said:

The NCAA is a dysfunctional and inept organization, look no further than the Miami investigation and the on-going North Carolina academic fraud investigation.  It is also a voluntary organization made up and governed by member institutions.  I abhor the tactics they use to investigation and penalize programs, but at the present time there is no alternative organization in place.

No doubt. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Caught red-handed in multiple shenanigans.  Whether UAT/MSU/So Miss/LSU/UGA got pissed at the way OM was operating and raised a red flag to the NCAA, when you have coaches with direct contact with boosters, and an Asst Athletic Director recruiting for football involved with text message trails, etc. it's hard to place blame on other programs for "nudging" the NCAA for the situation you find yourself in.  

OH THE IRONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Or maybe Karma for Dan Mullin the jackass.

"Ole Miss, per multiple sources, possesses a recording, and has given the SEC a copy, of (Leo) Lewis’ mother asking Ole Miss for money and detailing incentives she received from other programs, including Mississippi State."

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ole-miss-reportedly-presented-evidence-mississippi-state-ncaa-investigation/

1 minute ago, MDM4AU said:

OH THE IRONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Or maybe Karma for Dan Mullin the jackass.

"Ole Miss, per multiple sources, possesses a recording, and has given the SEC a copy, of (Leo) Lewis’ mother asking Ole Miss for money and detailing incentives she received from other programs, including Mississippi State."

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ole-miss-reportedly-presented-evidence-mississippi-state-ncaa-investigation/

I've heard about this tape, but like all things, I'm just going to wait and see what happens. If it does exist, then it has to be authenticated. But, yeah, this is kind of what I was getting to earlier. 

18 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Although, some of these charges are stupid. Kid went hunting on a boosters land? 

Yes, compare that to what the REC and bammers do.

15 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm torn. I can't stand Ole Miss, but I hate that Bama is untouchable under Saban. Reading the allegations, they have done nothing that Bama doesn't do on a regular basis. From the Dodge Chargers, to players parents getting jobs and homes, to T Town Menswear.  

Fishing trips, drug selling out of the dorms, new business start-ups, athletes getting paid by the training staff....

Do you think we got the JSU center just in case Golson gets in some kind of trouble with the NCAA? Smart move on Gus's part, if so. 

I heard Chris Childers talking on Sirius College sports this morning. He already had Hugh Freeze crucified. He said, "How else does a team like Ole Miss beat Bama two years in a row? It made me queasy. I mean, has anyone from the media asked how Bama has managed to stay on top all these years? Could it be that their cheating machine is much better than Ole Miss's??? When it comes down to it, the players still have to play the game and the coaches still have to coach the game. Perhaps Freeze was the better coach on those days.

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

It begs the question, if Ole Miss was paying a player who didn't end up going to school there, what did their current school offer them that was better?

Or the bigger question, who was Ole Miss recruiting hard that ended up a bama?

1 hour ago, MDM4AU said:

Hearsay... unless she has a recording of the schools offering her the incentives or iron clad records of the incentives being delivered, it's just her using other schools as leverage to negotiate a price for her child.

Archived