Ole Miss

McLoofus

What if.......

Gus' "friendships" with these 2 guys were exaggerated by the media as content filler and bc of their high school ties? What if they were just guys who knew each other briefly through similar circles and the media wanted to have something to write about?

I obviously know nothing about the details of Gus' relationship between Briles and Freeze other than how the media tries to say they were good friends because of their high school coaching days. But didn't Freeze coach in MS and Briles in TX? 

Just being devil's advocate here, correct me if I'm wildly off base.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

What if.......

Gus' "friendships" with these 2 guys were exaggerated by the media as content filler and bc of their high school ties? What if they were just guys who knew each other briefly through similar circles and the media wanted to have something to write about?

I obviously know nothing about the details of Gus' relationship between Briles and Freeze other than how the media tries to say they were good friends because of their high school coaching days. But didn't Freeze coach in MS and Briles in TX? 

The real question is; did Gus and Hugh take any recruiting trips together, being friends and all?  I bet someone from Auburn has looked into this, probably Kristi.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

What if.......

Also, these are college football coaches living in different states. I'm just some normal dude with a normal 9 to 5 and I'm lucky to see my good friends in other states once a year. These guys have WAY less freedom and free time than I do. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, these are college football coaches living in different states. I'm just some normal dude with a normal 9 to 5 and I'm lucky to see my good friends in other states once a year. These guys have WAY less freedom and free time than I do. 

Right?? Obviously they must have had some sort of positive relationship because we wouldn't have landed Kam Martin or Stidz without the help of Briles. But I think the actual friendship angle could possibly be over hyped. Again, I have no idea just speculating.

This article states Gus has said he speaks to Freeze more than any other SECW coach (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2016/07/25/malzahn-freeze-friendly-rivalry-brewing-sec-west/87553016/) but I interpret that as Gus' masterful coachspeak way of conveying that they are not really friends but they talk from time to time lol. I could just be trying to justify my thought here though because I obviously don't know what their "friendship" truly was like

Just now, Tiger said:

Right?? Obviously they must have had some sort of positive relationship because we wouldn't have landed Kam Martin or Stidz without the help of Briles. But I think the actual friendship angle could possibly be over hyped. Again, I have no idea just speculating.

This article states Gus has said he speaks to Freeze more than any other SECW coach (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2016/07/25/malzahn-freeze-friendly-rivalry-brewing-sec-west/87553016/) but I interpret that as Gus' masterful coachspeak way of conveying that they are not really friends but they talk from time to time lol. I could just be trying to justify my thought here though because I obviously don't know what their "friendship" truly was like

Broken record here to say that I applaud this acknowledgment and really wish that more of us could admit it about 90% of the things we discuss on here. 

But you're so right. "Some sort of positive relationship". Like, that's the only thing we know for sure. 

By the way, I'm not trying to say that anybody's blowing anything out of proportion in this conversation. And I have cited concern myself that the 2 names that have been spoken of the loudest in relation to Gus's coaching "friendships" have seriously tarnished reputations. I just think you're totally right that the "friends" thing probably doesn't mean the same thing as when people with more normal lives say it. Or maybe Gus and Hugh and Art all get together on the weekends to talk about girls and watch their favorite shows.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Broken record here to say that I applaud this acknowledgment and really wish that more of us could admit it about 90% of the things we discuss on here. 

But you're so right. "Some sort of positive relationship". Like, that's the only thing we know for sure. 

By the way, I'm not trying to say that anybody's blowing anything out of proportion in this conversation. And I have cited concern myself that the 2 names that have been spoken of the loudest in relation to Gus's coaching "friendships" have seriously tarnished reputations. I just think you're totally right that the "friends" thing probably doesn't mean the same thing as when people with more normal lives say it. Or maybe Gus and Hugh and Art all get together on the weekends to talk about girls and watch their favorite shows.

Exactly. Same here I was just throwing out an alternative thought that I had kinda been sitting on since the Freeze/Gus friendship angle started getting put out there a few years ago and while I also find it somewhat concerning that his "2 best buds in the business" have had some serious morality related issues that have costed both of them their jobs. I think you put it perfectly that "friends" to those people in positions like them aren't quite the same as the friends us common folk keep in our lives.  That visual of them hanging out on weekend watching TV and talking about girls is ripe for an LSUFreek type of gif though lol

Hahah. 

I assume that they all became friends while high school coaches, because they were all on the leading edge of the HUNH offense. I'm guessing they shared a lot of information and insight with each other on football x's and o's, and that somewhere along the way friendships developed. I can't imagine that these guys were ever to the point of discussing the insides and outs of each others' private lives. I think they all just relate to each other and share a common bond between them. 

Unless

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus and Hugh and Art all get together on the weekends to talk about Jasmine, that stripper from Miami who could "do that thing with her ______, while doing that other thing" and watch their favorite show, "Girls Gone Wild: Southern Belles Vol. VII". 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Hahah. 

I assume that they all became friends while high school coaches, because they were all on the leading edge of the HUNH offense. I'm guessing they shared a lot of information and insight with each other on football x's and o's, and that somewhere along the way friendships developed. I can't imagine that these guys were ever to the point of discussing the insides and outs of each others' private lives. I think they all just relate to each other and share a common bond between them. 

Unless

You just won AUF for the day. This post was perfect. And I'm not intentionally leaving out the correctly corrected quote. Southern Belles Vol. VII was the best of the series if I'm being completely honest with you. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

You just won AUF for the day. This post was perfect. And I'm not intentionally leaving out the correctly corrected quote. Southern Belles Vol. VII was the best of the series if I'm being completely honest with you. 

Any real connoisseur knows this, Loof.

However, I did think about taking it in a different direct, although you should know that I would never post something like this: 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Or maybe Gus and Hugh and Art all get together on the weekends to talk about Jasmine...and watch their favorite show, "To Catch A Predator."

I mean, I would never insinuate that Hugh Freeze might be heard saying something like this in such a scenario.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Any real connoisseur knows this, Loof.

However, I did think about taking it in a different direct, although you should know that I would never post something like this: 

I mean, I would never insinuate that Hugh Freeze might be heard saying something like this in such a scenario.

You're just breaking your own records now. Competing with history. I dunno, maybe we should line up a great white shark for you to race or something? For charity? 

20 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Exactly. Same here I was just throwing out an alternative thought that I had kinda been sitting on since the Freeze/Gus friendship angle started getting put out there a few years ago and while I also find it somewhat concerning that his "2 best buds in the business" have had some serious morality related issues that have costed both of them their jobs. I think you put it perfectly that "friends" to those people in positions like them aren't quite the same as the friends us common folk keep in our lives.  That visual of them hanging out on weekend watching TV and talking about girls is ripe for an LSUFreek type of gif though lol

Love the Freek's work!!

Don't know what all the mystery is about Freeze's phone calls. 

Surely someone here must have a friend in the NSA who could "leak" the transcript of that call to the Wapo or maybe al.com and clear all of this up.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fonzie jumped the shark.

McElwain humped the shark.

Michael Phelps... swam alone and then compared the result to that of a computer-generated simulation of a shark.

Which, ironically, may have been Shark Week jumping the shark. 

31 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Which, ironically, may have been Shark Week jumping the shark. 

In...

31 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

God Bless America

...deed.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

What if.......

It's been documented that Gus had visited both of them in the off season.

Archived