Women vs. lsu - Game Thread

WarTiger

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McKay drives and lays it in... 48-47.  Jessica Jones with a great play there and almost got the turnover but forced it out of bounds. 

Auburn gets a turnover...Jones ahead to her sister wide open and she lays it up and in.  Auburn leads 49-48   33 seconds to play.

lsu tries to lob it inside from the sideline inbounds and they call a foul on Jessica Jones and she fouls out of the game.   lsu shooting 2.  1st no good.  2nd good.  Game is tied.  49-49.   33 seconds to play still and Auburn calls a timeout after the made free throw.   The timeout allows Auburn to advance the ball to the front court.   Both teams out of timeouts.

Frerking gets the inbounds pass and is fouled immediately.   Frerking to the line for 2.  32.2 seconds remaining.  1st no good. 2nd good.  50-49 Auburn,.  LSU races it up the floor and to the basket and Jaz. Jones stands in and takes a charge.  .   Auburn gets it in bounds and Frerking brings in up the floor and is fouled at the division line.  20.9 seconds to paly.

montgomery gets a rebound of an ugly shot (air ball) and is fouled.  Montgomery shooting 2.  1st good.  2nd good.   54-49   7.4 seconds to play.

Thanks WT, great play-by-play on the last 30 seconds . An exciting win and AU really needed it.

Montgomery led the way for Auburn with 15 points.  McKay with 14 and Frerking with 10.    Auburn forced 29 turnovers with 13 steals.

Finally a win!

FWIW I talked to Andy Burcham at the game last night & he says to get to the NCAA Tourney now we likely have to win the last 2 regular season games (LSU done) & 2 in the SEC Tourney. The 2 in SEC Tourney part would likely be beat LSU again and Miss St. or South Carolina which will be very tough..

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW I talked to Andy Burcham at the game last night & he says to get to the NCAA Tourney now we likely have to win the last 2 regular season games (LSU done) & 2 in the SEC Tourney. The 2 in SEC Tourney part would likely be beat LSU again and Miss St. or South Carolina which will be very tough..

I think Andy is being more than a little optimistic. Teams with long late-season losing streaks that include losses to some really weak teams are not likely to make the NCAA. Even assuming this team does get selected to the NCAA tournament, it's still not something to brag about, they take 65 teams! Five years of this coaching staff and no measurable signs of progress. Not bringing in recruits that would put us on a level to compete for the SEC championship. Not even in the discussion for being a contender for the SEC championship. If nothing changes, nothing will change.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think Andy is being more than a little optimistic. Teams with long late-season losing streaks that include losses to some really weak teams are not likely to make the NCAA. 

He wasn't being optimistic. He just said what they needed to do. If we were to somehow win 4 straight including a massive upset over Miss St or Carolina then we would have an RPI in the high 30s with the 8th toughest schedule in the nation this season & would make the tourney. No SEC women's team has ever had a RPI that high & not made the NCAA Tourney.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

He wasn't being optimistic. He just said what they needed to do. If we were to somehow win 4 straight including a massive upset over Miss St or Carolina then we would have an RPI in the high 30s with the 8th toughest schedule in the nation this season & would make the tourney. No SEC women's team has ever had a RPI that high & not made the NCAA Tourney.

I appreciate your will to be optimistic, but the chance of that happening is about as likely as this staff signing a top 10 player.  REMOTE at best.  We lost to Ms State by 30 at home.  We only have one good win and that is against a Tennessee team that is unranked.  We have several bad losses, like Ole Miss, bama and UGA.  The UGA team is currently 14-13 and in danger of becoming the first Georgia team since the inception of the NCAA to have a losing record.  We will have a very hard time getting past LSU if the SEC Tourn bracket remains as it is today.  Nikki Fargas, LSU coach, is known to be a tournament coach and seems to always have them ready to play come tournament time. The women's NIT is not ran the same way as the men's NIT and is really a pay to play tournament.  Therefore, I would be surprised if we don't get that invite.  Each school that wants a home NIT game has to guarantee the tournament a set amount of revenue.

9 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I appreciate your will to be optimistic, but the chance of that happening is about as likely as this staff signing a top 10 player.  REMOTE at best.  We lost to Ms State by 30 at home.  We only have one good win and that is against a Tennessee team that is unranked.  We have several bad losses, like Ole Miss, bama and UGA.  The women's NIT is not ran the same way as the men's NIT and is really a pay to play tournament.  Therefore, I would be surprised if we don't get that invite.  Each school that wants a home NIT game has to guarantee the tournament a set amount of revenue.

I was not being optimistic. I was just providing info because someone was going to ask anyway. I don't think we have much of a shot simply due to I don't see a way of us beating Miss St or Carolina. If we get to them by beating Arky & LSU and somehow won then we would be in the NCAA Tourney given an RPI in the high 30s & s SOS in the top 10. As for quality wins we have 4 vs the RPI top 50: Indiana, Drake, Vols, & LSU.

I know how the NIT is run. I have worked events for AU for 7 years. And it's not so much how much revenue a home school guarantees. It's the highest bids to the NCAA that get to host in the NIT.

FWIW Charlie Creme who does bracketology for ESPN moved us up from a 10 seed to a 9 seed in the NCAA Tourney after beating LSU last night. Link

Archived