Baseball vs. Georgia - game 2

Auburn looking to continue the hot streak after winning yesterday 2-1 and currently riding a 9 game winning streak. 

Line up today:

Todd
McGuffin
Estes
Robert
Ingram
Anthony
Jarvis
Haecker
Holland

Casey Mize pitching

Auburn making great contact, balls are just flying right at Georgia players. But they are getting deep in the counts and fouling off pitches. Really pushing the pitch count up early on the Georgia pitcher.

0-0 going to the bottom half of the second, auburn gets its first hit from haecker and had runners on 1st and 2nd before a fly to center ended the inning. Georgia Pitcher up to 46 pitches in two innings.

Georgia getting some good swings just like auburn, fortunately they're finding gloves just like we are. Mize being efficient through 2. Great play by Jarvis, almost a collision but he took charge up the middle and made the play to first to end the inning.

13 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

Auburn making great contact, balls are just flying right at Georgia players. But they are getting deep in the counts and fouling off pitches. Really pushing the pitch count up early on the Georgia pitcher.

That should pay off pretty soon.

Jonah Todd comes up and chops one up the middle and it finds it way through into center and Todd doesn't stop running and slides head first into 2nd for a double.  After the ball got through, neither the 2nd baseman nor the short stop was really covering the base, so Todd took off and made it.   no outs.

Got runners to first and third, ingraham puts a charge into it in center, but the CF tracks it down at the warning track. 0-0 going to bot 3rd. UGA pitcher now at 67 pitches through 3.

1 out single for UGA leads no where as the next batter lines out to Robert at 1st for a double play at the bag. Going to the fourth. Mize under 30 pitches.

Anthony with a lead off single and stolen base, advances to third on a jarvis sacrifice to right. Haecker drives him in with single to center. 1-0 still one out in the fourth.

Auburn lucky to avoid the free out on an interference call on holland with haecker stealing second. Holland strikes out and we get our first pitching change with todd coming up to bat.

Damage is done, todd notches an infield single but McGuffin flies to center to end the inning. 1-0 headed top 4. Hope the long inning doesn't effect Mize's rythym

2-1, 1 out single followed by a double over the head of anthony at third. Fly to center just beat the throw in to home but held the runner at 2nd. Liner into shallow center and UGA sent the runner home and Todd came up huge with the outfield assist to end the inning. Correction, review overturns the play at the plate.

Apparently reviewing the tag at the plate. This would be a really dumb overrule if it is. Play is hard to tell where he's tagged out at. Don't like reviews in baseball necessarily. I get it but I've always like the umpire rulings on field. Makes it more of a game.

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

And they call him safe. Wow. I didn't see that. That was by no means indisputable. 

Not sure how they can make that call definitively. I do put the blame on haecker he was standing in front of the plate and not covering the third base side completely. Poor positioning for a not every-day catcher.

Ok I've got to complain more, because one run is important in SEC games. If I know the rules correctly, in baseball, you have to have indisputable evidence if you review the call on the field. I've seen closer plays at first at first eye view that haven't even gotten a second thought. I don't know if the guy was safe or not, but with the call on the field being out,

1.) why is it eve reviewed and

2.) how can you change that call? No way can you tell he is certainly safe beyond all doubt.

The fans behind home plate are moving around way more than I can stand and I'm sitting in my living room ... would have to drive the pitcher crazy.  

Would any of y'all want to sit at butt level watching a game?

I don't know the replay provisions in baseball because I just don't follow it closely enough.  But, I thought he was safe when the play happened live.  Once they showed the replay, I thought it was extremely obvious he was safe.  The throw got there for sure but the tag wasn't applied until he was across the plate.  I'm going to look up the replay provisions and see what is reviewable because I didn't know they had replay in baseball in the regular season. 

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

I don't know the replay provisions in baseball because I just don't follow it closely enough.  But, I thought he was safe when the play happened live.  Once they showed the replay, I thought it was extremely obvious he was safe.  The throw got there for sure but the tag wasn't applied until he was across the plate.  I'm going to look up the replay provisions and see what is reviewable because I didn't know they had replay in baseball in the regular season. 

I'm pretty sure in SEC play, replay is authorized only when there are at least three cameras, and is for plays at the plate, and fair or foul balls/homeruns. I don't think a foul ball can be reviewed, but a fair ball can be reviewed if they think it is foul.

Who ever is the play by play caller for this series is awful. Multiple times a ball hit opposite field has been referred to as pulling the ball. And he continuously calls a dropped third strike as a strike em out throw em out, which should refer to a strike out and catch em stealing.

Archived