Lawson Brothers transferring from Memphis

CameronCrazy

KJ & Dedric Lawson are transferring from Memphis. And landing these brothers could have program changing potential. Dedric averaged 19 points and 10 rebounds this past year, while KJ averaged 12 points and 8 rebounds. They also have a brother named Chandler that is a 5 star prospect for 2019. The 4th brother is also a top 2021 prospect.

The key to landing these 4 prospects will be their father Keelon. He coached for two years at Memphis, and he will now be leaving with his sons. And guess who has a spot open on his coaching staff?!? Keelon was director of player personnel for Memphis, so I'm sure we can do some rearranging to make room for this guy in our program. Make it happen, Bruce!!

P.S. I'm going to be pissed if Cuonzo Martin gets Missouri back on the map by hiring all of these top player's dads! We need rebounding help, so we need these guys bad!

Getting any athlete from Memphis is an invitation to an NCAA investigation....thought we had learned that. 

26 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

He coached for two years at Memphis, and he will now be leaving with his sons. And guess who has a spot open on his coaching staff?!? Keelon was director of player personnel for Memphis, so I'm sure we can do some rearranging to make room for this guy in our program. Make it happen, Bruce!!

Hate to burst your bubble but Stephen Pearl or Chad Prewett will likely be the assistant coach Bruce uses to replace Dollar.

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hate to burst your bubble but Stephen Pearl or Chad Prewett will likely be the assistant coach Bruce uses to replace Dollar.

That was actually my point. If he promotes Stephen Pearl or Chad Prewett, as expected, then one of those positions would be available to hire the elder Lawson.

Didn't the NCAA just pass a new rule forbidding schools from signing players who played for recent coaching hires? Or hiring the former coaches of recent signees? Some bell is going off somewhere in my head about this.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Didn't the NCAA just pass a new rule forbidding schools from signing players who played for recent coaching hires? Or hiring the former coaches of recent signees? Some bell is going off somewhere in my head about this.

That's college football & it hasn't been passed yet. Not sure if there is a similar rule for basketball.

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Getting any athlete from Memphis is an invitation to an NCAA investigation....thought we had learned that. 

That's silly.  There are plenty of kids from Memphis on SEC rosters.

When you send out a sketchy recruiter, you get what you get.

44 minutes ago, The Freak said:

That's silly.  There are plenty of kids from Memphis on SEC rosters.

When you send out a sketchy recruiter, you get what you get.

Must be a lot of sketchy recruiters in the SEC....seems like over the years that a good number of Memphis kids who leave the area have questions raised about them...But I realize those are the ones we hear about and not the rest. 

I won't be happy if Steven Pearl gets promoted. He's perfect for his current position. Anything higher up the totem pole at this point would just be like our Lashlee situation. I know assistants in football and basketball aren't quite the same but I'd feel better if we had someone accomplished or respected in the game that will provide tangible proof that they will be improving our staff. Whether it be getting the most out of guys or being a stud on the recruiting trail, that's what I hope we do.

Pretty sure it would be brilliant on Bruce's part.  Wherever they end up coaching/playing could feasibly land the 4 Lawsons plus they have a cousin in the same caliber plus the contacts in the Memphis AAU that wouldn't be considered shady since he is there to see his kids/nephew play.

I doubt our compliance department will see it that way though.

FWIW I don't see Bruce using 2 of his open 3 scholly spots on kids that have to sit out this coming season given Bruce needs to get to the NCAA Tourney to show real progress to future recruits & he needs plays that can help immediately. If we had done more the past season then maybe we take them but we didn't so I don't see it.

I can see Bruce using 1 spot on a kid that has to sit a year but not 2.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW I don't see Bruce using 2 of his open 3 scholly spots on kids that have to sit out this coming season given Bruce needs to get to the NCAA Tourney to show real progress to future recruits & he needs plays that can help immediately. If we had done more the past season then maybe we take them but we didn't so I don't see it.

I can see Bruce using 1 spot on a kid that has to sit a year but not 2.

But 2 spots now to possibly get 2 future recruits as well...

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

But 2 spots now to possibly get 2 future recruits as well...

JMO but BP needs to be worrying about now...not two or three or four years hence.  

And speaking of now....I'm still interested in what's going to be done over the next 6 months to put a serious defense on the floor.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but BP needs to be worrying about now...not two or three or four years hence.  

Bingo

I would say yes & no.  CBP has a lot of talent playing next year already.  These 2 would be great additions for 2018.  If Wiley continues to grow next year he could leave for the draft.  Depending on what Mitchell does he will likely be around 1 more but could be gone next year as well.  This is a viable future option with playing the hand you have now for next year.  There is nothing talent wise that is going to change unless there are some GT coming in that I haven't heard about.  So bringing the dad as a coach could be very beneficial not just for his talented kids but also moving forward.

Look I don't follow basketball near as closely as football.  So I digress.  You guys know more about the situation and the game than me.

On 4/7/2017 at 1:18 PM, lkeel75 said:

I would say yes & no.  CBP has a lot of talent playing next year already.  These 2 would be great additions for 2018.  If Wiley continues to grow next year he could leave for the draft.  Depending on what Mitchell does he will likely be around 1 more but could be gone next year as well.  This is a viable future option with playing the hand you have now for next year.  There is nothing talent wise that is going to change unless there are some GT coming in that I haven't heard about.  So bringing the dad as a coach could be very beneficial not just for his talented kids but also moving forward.

Look I don't follow basketball near as closely as football.  So I digress.  You guys know more about the situation and the game than me.

The staff is planning to bring in at least 1 GT if not more. Often time the public will not here about GTs or foreign player a school want til the school gets the kid. For example. AU worked hard to get Moritz Wagner who ended up at Michigan. They Did it quietly & missed so it was not known outside of the AU staff and a few others that AU wanted him

E I know in an earlier post you said we wouldn't know which GT's would be looking to move until after the playoffs.  I realize our coaches are very close to the vest about who we are talking to so what I am looking for is just a list of the top ones we might be interested in. I have not seen any foreign players on Auburn basketball teams in years if ever. Have we started to create contacts overseas where we could start to recruit out of the country?

43 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

E I know in an earlier post you said we wouldn't know which GT's would be looking to move until after the playoffs.  I realize our coaches are very close to the vest about who we are talking to so what I am looking for is just a list of the top ones we might be interested in. I have not seen any foreign players on Auburn basketball teams in years if ever. Have we started to create contacts overseas where we could start to recruit out of the country?

You can do a google search for a list just as easily as I can. That's where I'd start to look. ESPN puts out a list at some point & may have already.

On the overseas part I have no clue since I'm not apart of the team & basketball info like that is scarce to find as compared to football info.

15 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

Since we can't mention it, but i am anyways since it's not his own thread  has anyone heard anything else on Herron???

There's nothing to hear. Sounds like a reporter got bad info a couple weeks ago.

Kansas is getting a good duo in KJ and Dedric, especially the latter. Living in Memphis now and watched them play in person 4-5 times this year. The kids are definitely talented, but dad's been known to be anywhere from pushy to a headcase throughout their entire recruitment and time at Memphis (pretty similar to LaVar ball without the spotlight)

Solid players and could help the team, but the whole Memphis team quit the last few games this year. Between that and the extra baggage that comes with dad, think we'll be alright without them 

Archived