2018 4* RB Dameon Pierce

ellitor

In my opinion our RB recruits were higher rated in the Chizik era. We were in it with Dyer, Lattimore, Seastrunk, Greg Bryant(RIP) and the kid who went to Michigan. Not saying that list really turned into much but we were definitely in the top 2-3 for the RB's that the recruiting services loved.

My only problem is he was basically one of the last 3-down backs left according to what I've read.

With all this said, I'm not mad b/c Malzahn has found a way to produce. I believe that is ultimately the most important. Who knows maybe a strong season catches the attention of some guys or maybe KP returns.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is disappointing, I feel really good about most of our positions as far as this years recruiting goes. However the two big exceptions are DL and RB. We will need future help at both positions and right now the 2017 class is looking thin at both. We have a ways to go but I am getting a little concerned. Also while I like Horton I am not sure just how good a recruiter he is?

11 minutes ago, Samau said:

This is disappointing, I feel really good about most of our positions as far as this years recruiting goes. However the two big exceptions are DL and RB. We will need future help at both positions and right now the 2017 class is looking thin at both. We have a ways to go but I am getting a little concerned. Also while I like Horton I am not sure just how good a recruiter he is?

He is usually really good. 

28 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I understand your point on Mason, however my point remains the same. We are still losing too many recruiting battles for top running backs. Mason turned out to be much better than most predicted. Pettway had an excellent year last year, but the truth is he is a good fullback playing RB, and lacks elite break away speed. No knock on the young man, just the truth. Given our system, and success running the football we should have elite backs foaming at the mouth to play here is all I'm saying. 

Given his production at running back last season, I can't help but feel as if you're underselling Pettway on his ability to be more than just a good fullback. Emmitt Smith lacked elite breakaway speed, too, and he's the NFL's all time leading rusher. Granted, he was running behind an all pro offensive line for most of his career...but, then again, that's a major part of the running game. Tristan Davis had elite, breakaway speed, but he didn't have the moves to be a good running back.

At the end of the day, I'm not overly concerned about running back recruiting. Without pulling in top rated backs, we've still been producing on the ground. Even had a converted wide receiver put up respectable numbers last year when injury decimated the RB corps. Yes, of course I'd like to pull five star prospects regularly, but the bottom line is that if the blocking is there, we can find someone to tote the rock. There's a reason running backs have become such a rarity early in the NFL draft: it is probably the easiest position on the field to plug a player in and find success.

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Given his production at running back last season, I can't help but feel as if you're underselling Pettway on his ability to be more than just a good fullback. Emmitt Smith lacked elite breakaway speed, too, and he's the NFL's all time leading rusher. Granted, he was running behind an all pro offensive line for most of his career...but, then again, that's a major part of the running game. Tristan Davis had elite, breakaway speed, but he didn't have the moves to be a good running back.

At the end of the day, I'm not overly concerned about running back recruiting. Even without pulling in top rated backs, we've been producing on the ground. Even had a converted wide receiver put up respectable numbers last year when injury decimated the RB corps. Yes, of course I'd like to pull five star prospects regularly, but the bottom line is that if the blocking is there, we can find someone to tote the rock. There's a reason running backs have become such a rarity early in the NFL draft: it is probably the easiest position on the field to plug a player in and find success.

I agree with all of your points but this is a pride thing. Yes we do not need elite talent at RB to get elite results BUT it is a pride thing. We SHOULD be recruiting great because of our track record and history there at RB. That is the position we SHOULD be having the easiest time attracting and signing elite talent.

I know a short back around 192 lbs that WANTED to be at Auburn that sure would look good on our list right now.  SMDH!

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I agree with all of your points but this is a pride thing. Yes we do not need elite talent at RB to get elite results BUT it is a pride thing. We SHOULD be recruiting great because of our track record and history there at RB.

And that's fair enough, because with our history of success running the football, you'd think it would be an easy sell. However, for comparison's sake, how many of Steve Spurrier's QBs had success at the next level? How many elite high school QBs did he pull while running the fun 'n gun offense at Florida? Perhaps we should be thankful we have an offensive system that makes it easy for running backs to produce and take pride in the production without the blue chip prospects rather than bemoaning the fact that we aren't pulling in many top rated recruits.

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

At the end of the day, I'm not overly concerned about running back recruiting. Without pulling in top rated backs, we've still been producing on the ground. Even had a converted wide receiver put up respectable numbers last year when injury decimated the RB corps. Yes, of course I'd like to pull five star prospects regularly, but the bottom line is that if the blocking is there, we can find someone to tote the rock. There's a reason running backs have become such a rarity early in the NFL draft: it is probably the easiest position on the field to plug a player in and find success.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Believe me,  I am much more excited about the talent we have at the WR position than I am the lack of elite talent at running back. It would be nice however, to win one or two of these battles, and have a weapon in the backfield on par with the Derrick Henry's, Todd Gurleys, Bo Scarboughs, Dalvin Cooks, Leonard Fournettes.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburns-streak-of-1000-yard-rushers/.  

What we know:  

1.  this history of 1000 yd rushers combined with the "awe shucks, you take as along as you need to commit, we will be here waiting, "  is not gaining the commits we want.  

2.  'Some schools'  get the #1 RB in the country without the credibility that Auburn has.  'Some' get two in the top 10.  Heck, UF is getting crazy talent and they ......

The gentleman said it best when he said when you're family, you're treated like family, when it's your business, you better be scrapping and clawing because your competition surely is.    We need a new style.....

Andy Griffith isn't in syndication any longer and there is a reason.    I love Andy.  I wish other people did, but I am a realist.   It was "business decision" that Andy Griffith isn't on TV any longer.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

Oh it's horrible.  Jimmy has been putrid on offense and he racks up Copeland, Schwartz, and Pierce all at once along with a stud QB.  Dude must have pulled out his bag of tricks he learned at Bama.

Schwartz committed?

26 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I know a short back around 192 lbs that WANTED to be at Auburn that sure would look good on our list right now.  SMDH!

You want two 5'7 RBs? 

Meh...if we can't pull one that we want, then we don't need to settle for one we don't. We have Miller and Barrett to replace KP. Thay are good backs that I would place on the same level as pierce. If we have to wait a year to sign the next GOAT, then so be it.

Too much melt in here.

Holding out hope for Cook, not sure if there is any real chance there. Also hoping Teague decides he'd rather stay in the South instead of going to play in some damn horseshoe in Ohio ?And, maybe DP will rethink playing for a shark humper, lol

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Meh...if we can't pull one that we want, then we don't need to settle for one we don't. We have Miller and Barrett to replace KP. Thay are good backs that I would place on the same level as pierce. If we have to wait a year to sign the next GOAT, then so be it.

Too much melt in here.

More like frustration because it makes no sense. The elite backs should be pushing each other out of the way to try and play here. I think barrett however is a stud and can be a elite back. The upside is through the roof with him.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

And that's fair enough, because with our history of success running the football, you'd think it would be an easy sell. However, for comparison's sake, how many of Steve Spurrier's QBs had success at the next level? How many elite high school QBs did he pull while running the fun 'n gun offense at Florida? Perhaps we should be thankful we have an offensive system that makes it easy for running backs to produce and take pride in the production without the blue chip prospects rather than bemoaning the fact that we aren't pulling in many top rated recruits.

Double edge sword in that statement,because how many of our 1k yard rushers have had success at the next level? I guess  the thing i wonder most is if we had landed lets say a Drake,Henry,Sistrunk,Lattimore etc... We probaly would be discussing most consecitive 2k yard rushers streak.Guess it could backfire though because our 5star roc didnt turn out to be an answer for us either..

3 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Double edge sword in that statement,because how many of our 1k yard rushers have had success at the next level? 

That was kind of my point: the system we run is set up for success as a running back, just as Spurrier's system was set up for success as a quarterback, even if they aren't necessarily at the top of the heap with regard to talent.

To answer the question, however, I can only think of two among the current streak of 1,000 yard rushers: Ben Tate and Tre Mason.

This was the best player left on our board if you dont count Martin whom most people believe is already committed to Bama. Not sure what kind of rabbit Gus has up his sleeve. Maybe UF will tank this season and we will be elite and Pierce decommits or maybe we will find a diamond in the rough no other schools saw. The good news us there is still plenty of time to right the ship. The bad news is that we are seriously running out if decent options. 

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

You want two 5'7 RBs? 

The only thing those two backs have in common is 5'7.  Yes I would take Webb and never think twice about it.  Go watch his film and tell me what he lacks and tell me where it is in his highlights so we can see it.  Kid is strong as an ox and has done nothing more than break records in high school.  Lots of good backs have played before him that did not have near his numbers.  The kid is Dyer but 3 inches shorter.  Small backs are disliked because they can't tear their way out of a wet paper sack with a chainsaw.  Shoe lace tackles, tripping on their own feet.  There is nothing weak or small about this kid except height which may be the most unimportant trait needed for the position.  Emmit Smith did not have breakaway speed.  Neither did Barry Sanders.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

More like frustration because it makes no sense. The elite backs should be pushing each other out of the way to try and play here. I think barrett however is a stud and can be a elite back. The upside is through the roof with him.

I get it, but its not like its new. The lack of RB pull has been the same for almost a decade. To me, AU doesn't need a stud at RB like other schools do. Our scheme produces more than our RBs do. 

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/auburns-streak-of-1000-yard-rushers/.  

What we know:  

1.  this history of 1000 yd rushers combined with the "awe shucks, you take as along as you need to commit, we will be here waiting, "  is not gaining the commits we want.  

2.  'Some schools'  get the #1 RB in the country without the credibility that Auburn has.  'Some' get two in the top 10.  Heck, UF is getting crazy talent and they ......

The gentleman said it best when he said when you're family, you're treated like family, when it's your business, you better be scrapping and clawing because your competition surely is.    We need a new style.....

Andy Griffith isn't in syndication any longer and there is a reason.    I love Andy.  I wish other people did, but I am a realist.   It was "business decision" that Andy Griffith isn't on TV any longer.

"Business Decision"

18805631-standard.jpg

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I get it, but its not like its new. The lack of RB pull has been the same for almost a decade. To me, AU doesn't need a stud at RB like other schools do. Our scheme produces more than our RBs do. 

I agree. I  just don't think its right. It is our most legendary position. The position we have built our brand on. It is puzzling. I try to wrap my head around it and the only thing that makes sense is no NFL Stars at RB lately. Not like that has hurt other schools though so I am back to squared one! haha #cruitin at the end of the day makes no sense. There is no rhyme or reason.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

#systemrunningbacks lol

Our system does help RB's put up good numbers. My point would be we havn't had a true breakaway home run threat at RB since Tre left(Grant never really got enough chances). With an offense that struggles to move the ball down the field the last 2 seasons an elite, take it to the house guy would have helped produce more big plays that are desperately needed to give our offense some punch.
I don't think Horton is the problem the recruits seem to praise him in most of the interviews I've read . 

#1 - Huge miss by the staff. They all thought DP was in. Horton got worked by DP.  Plain and simple. 

#2 - People who aren't concerned about the RB recruiting and depth are walking a tightrope. Eventually one of the so called plug and play backs are not going to produce like a Pettway, Mason and Payne did. Need to sign at least two legit every down RB in almost every class. If not we get in a position like at the end of last year. This plug and play anyone mentality is like Russian roulette.  

#3 - Time to bring Dell McDee home. He is another T-Will and is killing it. Will most likely land Cook with the other 5* back they have. Need new blood on the RB coaching side IMO. 

#4 - Next year. Could be KJ, Barrett, Martin and Miller. Lots of unknowns in that bunch. Not terrible but we need some elite talent at the position. Could Miller be a elite back? Sure. The sky isn't falling but we better start to do better with signing RB's.  

3 hours ago, CR said:

Our system does help RB's put up good numbers. My point would be we havn't had a true breakaway home run threat at RB since Tre left(Grant never really got enough chances). With an offense that struggles to move the ball down the field the last 2 seasons an elite, take it to the house guy would have helped produce more big plays that are desperately needed to give our offense some punch.
I don't think Horton is the problem the recruits seem to praise him in most of the interviews I've read . 

Did help. New day, new OC. Will see if this is the case with Chip. I don't have any reason not to think Chip's system won't but the O is going to be a lot different. Agree on the Tre part. 

Archived