Defensive Line

corchjay

This is the last of the position groupings since we don't have enough information for special teams groupings...

Defensive Line is what separates the SEC from all other conferences and where the strength of your team better be if you want to compete for championships.  I think our DL is good enough to be a strength and be at the top of the conference in production and talent.  Winning the trenches is where football is always won regardless of offensive or defensive schemes.  Good line play can make skill players look better then they are.  

My expected 2/3 deep

M. Davidson/Nick Coe

D. Brown/A. Williams/B. Cowart

D. Russell/Ant. Jackson/J. Johnson

J. Holland/P. James3/T. Threat --  This Buck position better be able to set the edge on power run teams or uh oh

New Comers - M. Bryant, T. Truesdell, A. Jackson (TD Moultry maybe in time but think he starts at LB).  Bryant is a pretty good catch for a pass rusher but the DTs in this incoming class have a long way to go to be contributors.  Depth fillers and projects for now in my opinion but they could surprise once on campus. 

This position grouping probably has my favorite player on the team in Marlon Davidson.  From a coach's point of view you can't ask for anything more in a player.  He has the right size, the right skills, the right speed, strength, and the heart to be everything this team needs.  Hopefully the rest of the players follow his lead.  I know they play different positions but he's the best DL player we have had since Tracy Rocker both were incredible playing off blocks and down the line of scrimmage plus their desire to chase a play was/is unmatched.  

This concludes my thoughts on the positions groupings.  I plan do do a few more posts on Teams stuff but trying to figure out how exactly I want to break it down.  Thx.  WDE!

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Depth looks strong. Possibly 

Just like all the other groups on the team it depends on how the 2's come into camp and if they are ready to battle to unseat the starter.  I do like the bodies we have in the 2 deep.  Buck is the biggest concern but I could see Brown/Cowart/Coe playing in the spot against heavy run teams if need be.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

This is the last of the position groupings since we don't have enough information for special teams groupings...

Defensive Line is what separates the SEC from all other conferences and where the strength of your team better be if you want to compete for championships.  I think our DL is good enough to be a strength and be at the top of the conference in production and talent.  Winning the trenches is where football is always won regardless of offensive or defensive schemes.  Good line play can make skill players look better then they are.  

My expected 2/3 deep

M. Davidson/Nick Coe

D. Brown/A. Williams/B. Cowart

D. Russell/Ant. Jackson/J. Johnson

J. Holland/P. James3/T. Threat --  This Buck position better be able to set the edge on power run teams or uh oh

New Comers - M. Bryant, T. Truesdell, A. Jackson (TD Moultry maybe in time but think he starts at LB).  Bryant is a pretty good catch for a pass rusher but the DTs in this incoming class have a long way to go to be contributors.  Depth fillers and projects for now in my opinion but they could surprise once on campus. 

This position grouping probably has my favorite player on the team in Marlon Davidson.  From a coach's point of view you can't ask for anything more in a player.  He has the right size, the right skills, the right speed, strength, and the heart to be everything this team needs.  Hopefully the rest of the players follow his lead.  I know they play different positions but he's the best DL player we have had since Tracy Rocker both were incredible playing off blocks and down the line of scrimmage plus their desire to chase a play was/is unmatched.  

This concludes my thoughts on the positions groupings.  I plan do do a few more posts on Teams stuff but trying to figure out how exactly I want to break it down.  Thx.  WDE!

Thoughts?

I'm with you corch. Love everything about Davidson. Last true freshmen I remember making an impact like that at DL....Tracy Rocker while I was a student (where's A4E?)! Fired up about our DL( potential?)! WDE!

All true about Davidson and btw leave him at end. If we want a high draft pick this guy has the most potential to be that.

Marlon is my fan-man crush. Dude's motor never stops. 

Most excited to see more from Coe in the fall. His wrestling back ground is going to pay off huge, IMO. I can envision him just clotheslining potential blockers and choke slamming running backs every play. Yup....

Coe is going to be good!

Marlon is a stud, but Derrick Brown is the biggest freak on that line. He's special. 

Thanks for your thoughts on all the positions groupings @corchjay

As for DL, I totally agree with everything you said. I like our talent and depth a lot!!! 

I would like to see Cowart and Coe both develop into the guys we hoped and dreamed they would become. They are oozing with raw talent. 

I am thinking/hoping that PJ3 is our Buck. He had an impressive Spring. He seems to be a more threatening pass rusher than Holland. And I agree about putting Coe or Cowart there against run heavy teams and/or 3rd and short/goal line situations. 

Marlon is a very special player. I think Brown is a beast, and will be an elite DT this year, but Marlon is a once-in-a-generation special player. (TR was a good comparison, corch) I'm glad they are both AU Tigers, and true Sophomores!

17 hours ago, corchjay said:

I believe James will exceed Holland's number of snaps as Holland is too one-dimensional. 

I think Davidson and Brown are going to make up for the loss of Adams and Lawson and I believe as a whole this group may even be better than what we had last year.  Not as experienced but better athletically.  

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

I think Davidson and Brown are going to make up for the loss of Adams and Lawson and I believe as a whole this group may even be better than what we had last year.  Not as experienced but better athletically.  

Agree. And Davidson already has 13 starts to Lawson's 20. Now, Lawson played in 33 games and obviously gained a lot of knowledge and maturity off the field, but he also went through three coordinators whereas Davidson will be picking back up with the same one. Brown played in all 13 games last year. Holland, Russell, Johnson and Williams are all experienced. It's a dropoff in experience, but maybe not as dramatic as one might initially think. 

Archived