Null



aubiefifty

Pat Dye on finebaum show

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

He's right about the tradition part. And he is right about competing against them. We are 9-8 vs Bama this century, and dead even since Dye arrived or Bear retired. Tubs was 7-3 vs them, and Saban is 7-3 vs us.  We compete with them quite well over the past 4 decades. They are enjoying their greatest run and we've played for two National Championships during it. We will be back on top again, and soon. WDE!

I understand your logic, and I like it. Year in and out. AU plays the toughest schedule in the SEC. It's been that way my entire life. These days we play bammer, LSU and UGA every year. Once upon a time we added Florida to that yearly mix. We win more than we oughta. No other team faces the murderers row our Tigers face year in and year out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I do like Pat Dye, but there is also another side of him that people like to forget.  For example, Auburn used to have one of the best wrestling teams in the nation.  Always competed for the championship and was represented in the olympics.  My uncle was on the Auburn wrestling team.  Pat Dye convinced the AD to shut down the program because he wanted the money spent on wrestling for the football program.  Just a tidbit I wanted to share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

"Everybody in Alabama tends to gauge a program by what's going on in Tuscaloosa," Dye told The Paul Finebaum Show on Tuesday. "I was there. I don't look at our situation at Auburn comparing it to Alabama because you can't compare the two.

"We could play football for another 500 years and we couldn't catch up with the tradition Alabama has got, but that doesn't mean we can't have a good football program and a strong football program. It doesn't mean we can't have football teams that recruit good enough to beat Alabama on occasion." 

 

This is a discussion that Coach Dye and Bobby Lowder have had on more than one occasion... :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One only has to read these post trashing Coach Dye to realize AU not only does not have the same tradition, but does not know how to build tradition either. You will never hear ua fans trashing Bryant. Had it not been for Dye, AU football would be so bad you wouldn't have enough people for a forum to trash him on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I respect Coach Dye for what he has meant to Auburn, but I think his comments were a bit out of line.  He basically told Auburn to know its place and that place will never be at the table with the big boys.  Was he engaging in a bit of hyperbole?  Perhaps so, but it was still a poor choice of words.

Still, I'm not going to get up in arms about it.  I just disagree with his opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auburn is known for not knowing how to deal with success.   Just when you think we are going to make a run of success, Auburn goes and does something stupid.   Go back and look at the history, it is in plain site.    The greatest success ever achieved by Auburn in sports was the swim team.   And AU couldn't even keep the coach around 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Auburn is known for not knowing how to deal with success.   Just when you think we are going to make a run of success, Auburn goes and does something stupid.   Go back and look at the history, it is in plain site.    The greatest success ever achieved by Auburn in sports was the swim team.   And AU couldn't even keep the coach around 

Equestrian too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UAT doesn't need any help promoting their tradition, they get plenty of puff pieces from the media with that already.    When one of your own, however, comes out and says things like this it just serves up the "little brother" label on a silver platter to them.   Coach Dye did great things for AU but I seriously wish he had a gag order at this point.  You can think these things all day long just don't SAY them to the media.     Not savvy.

Speaking of not savvy, JJ's simple agreement with CPD's statements about moving to the East get lots of play this time of year in the national media.     And it should actually since he's the AD making the statement.    The problem is that he should realize that when he says things like this, the media WILL run with it straight to the other school that would be most affected by realignment, Mizzou.    Obviously, there had been no back room discussions between the two schools because Missouri's AD comes out and says "we're fine where we are and glad to be here".   Just another tactical PR blunder by the from office but what else would you expect?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach Dye is right.  No one can compete with bama's tradition...because a ton of it is pure mythology.  Hard to compete with made up national titles and delusions of grandeur.  bama has been lucky enough to have 2 of the best coaches in history.  Where was bama from 81-91? Or 95-2007?  Saban will leave at some point and they will come back to earth.  Dye wasn't downing Auburn, I think he was just saying lets worry about Auburn first, take care of Auburn and quit comparing.  When Auburn is really good they beat bama.  When is the last time bama actually beat a really good Auburn team?  94 maybe?  When AU is good the Iron Bowl takes care of itself. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it  strange a 75-80ish year old has been coach who is  allegedly a borderline alcoholic can cause so much rukus..I like him and want to hear what he has to say. I don't get butt ache  .

Edited by alexava
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, alexava said:

I find it  strange a 75-80ish year old has been coach who is  allegedly a borderline alcoholic can cause so much rukus..I like him and want to hear what he has to say. I don't get butt ache  .

Give you a like Alex but never heard of a "borderline alcoholic" , do not think that is the case with Coach. yep he enjoys a drink like many....

Auburn is a better place because of Coach Dye, with a much better football program than Pre-Dye. Giving you a like anyway - see the word "allegedly".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

He's basically Barkley. Love them both for what they did for and to Auburn athletics; but there are times when they both need to keep their mouths shut. 

Barkley won multiple emmys for his sports commentary. Not to mention Barkley has transcended his brand in the media world. The average person does not associate Barkley with AU. Pat Dye is only relevant in terms of AU. Hardly an accurate comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Give you a like Alex but never heard of a "borderline alcoholic" , do not think that is the case with Coach. yep he enjoys a drink like many....

Auburn is a better place because of Coach Dye, with a much better football program than Pre-Dye. Giving you a like anyway - see the word "allegedly".

I'm reminded of Ben Afleck in Good Will Hunting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2017 at 9:55 PM, AU80cruiser said:

Maybe as a coach he knows exactly what to say to fire us auburn fans up before the season just like you would a player that isnt giving enough effort.

This. Pat Dye is calling us out the same way he did Georgia so many years ago.  "We're not man enough".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most of the people.  Pat Dye needs to go.  I appreciate what he did for Auburn but WHY would you go on Saban suck up Finbaum's show and glorify your arch rival?  It makes no sense, he knew exactly what the Auburn fans reaction would be.  I guess he wanted to intentionally piss off the Auburn fan base.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DAG said:

Barkley won multiple emmys for his sports commentary. Not to mention Barkley has transcended his brand in the media world. The average person does not associate Barkley with AU. Pat Dye is only relevant in terms of AU. Hardly an accurate comparison.

I meant in terms of having little filter between their brains and their mouths at times. Not their speaking accolades or popularity among the general public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plainstalk said:

I agree with most of the people.  Pat Dye needs to go.  I appreciate what he did for Auburn but WHY would you go on Saban suck up Finbaum's show and glorify your arch rival?  It makes no sense, he knew exactly what the Auburn fans reaction would be.  I guess he wanted to intentionally piss off the Auburn fan base.....

I have not listened to Finebaum in about 4 years but I do know he seemed to show disrespect to Dye when he was on his show so I have no idea why he would continue to go on. Finebaum baits him badly. Finebaum hates Auburn and used to call Tuberville "wing nut". I mean, has the guy looked in the mirror ever? Nobody has bigger ears than Finebaum. The guy has zero class and kisses up to Saban. Can't stand him. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, alexava said:

Did anyone catch Jason Campbell on Finebaum? It was a good one..

Bits and pieces. He is a great representative for Auburn

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why anyone who is a fan of or associated with Auburn would ever go on the Pondscum show.  If I were doing contracts at Auburn, that would be one of the stipulations.  No Pondscum appearance during contract length (and forever if that is possible).  Nothing good can ever come of it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

Was it today's show?

Yesterday (Thursday). Good listen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2017 at 7:13 AM, 17-16 said:

One only has to read these post trashing Coach Dye to realize AU not only does not have the same tradition, but does not know how to build tradition either. You will never hear ua fans trashing Bryant. Had it not been for Dye, AU football would be so bad you wouldn't have enough people for a forum to trash him on.

That's because bammers don't have enough sense to know that Bryant was an alcoholic, cheating racist, and they wouldn't care if they did. Just because Dye was a successful coach at AU does not mean he has carte blanche to denigrate Auburn. He should stay off of finescum's show and just stop talking. Auburn has traditions....traditions that don't include full scale cheating and exaggeration and classless arrogance. 

 

Edited by Tigerbelle
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

That's because bammers don't have enough sense to know that Bryant was an alcoholic, cheating racist, and they wouldn't care if they did. Just because Dye was a successful coach at AU does not mean he has carte blanche to denigrate Auburn. He should stay off of finescum's show and just stop talking. Auburn has traditions....traditions that don't include full scale cheating and exaggeration and classless arrogance. 

 

I understand your anger, but look at if differently. Nothing Coach Dye or anyone else can say about Auburn can take away the love and pride I feel for my alma mater. We have a great tradition in every sense. But when it comes to winning more games, having more SEC and National Titles, and being a more recognizable brand nationwide, Dye is correct. That doesn't mean we cannot have, or have not had great success in football. We have more football tradition than Ole Miss and Mississippi State. That is fact.  It doesn't mean they don't have great traditions of their own. The thing about the whole discussion is that tradition is based on history. The thing for AU to focus on is creating a more powerful present and future. WDE. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now