Best AU player ever besides the Heisman winners?

GwillMac6

I really have enjoyed this in my case MUCH NEEDED football talk recently in the dog days of summer to help bridge the gap to august with the whole discussion of who is Auburns best RB ever besides BO and so on and so forth. My vote would go to Tracy Rocker. Our most decorated defensive player in our history I do believe.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Freddie Smith- he was our entire defense in the Barfield years. Seriously though, I would say Ronnie Brown or Cadillac Williams. Either would have probably won the Heisman if they were the only back!

Terry Beasley.......

Not an individual but I'll put that 2010 offensive line as a group up against any group we've every had collectively.  They took their lumps a little in their freshman and sophomore years but junior and senior years they were as dominating as I've seen.

The original one man show - Dameyune Craig. He would've won the Heisman in this offense

1 hour ago, Dshep4au said:

Freddie Smith

Agree.  I think Barfield acknowledged he could have been the best RB in the nation but said we needed him at LB.  Plus we had Andrews, Brooks, and Cribbs at RB already...lol.  I remember him intercepting a pass at about the opposing 25 and he made one of the better cutting, shifting runs I have ever seen to score a TD.

23 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

That's easy Tucker Frederickson 

I agree, Golf. If he were playing today he would definitely be a Heisman and maybe even a Thorpe award finalist.

Don't know if that would even be feasible but if so, TF is the type of player who could do it.

Not the glamorous pick but the offensive tackle Marcus McNeil.  In all the years he started he gave up 1 or 2 sacks from his left tackle position.  Also liked Cadillac Williams.

14 hours ago, Dshep4au said:

Freddie Smith- he was our entire defense in the Barfield years. Seriously though, I would say Ronnie Brown or Cadillac Williams. Either would have probably won the Heisman if they were the only back!

Loved me some Freddie Smith. Fast Freddie is not always brought up in these discussions but should be. That man was an unbelievable tackling machine. 

My vote goes to 2010 Nick Fairley. He played just as big of a role in the NC as Cam. I have only seen two DTs take over games in my life and those were Suh of Nebraska and Fairley. He was an unrelanting force. Karlos Dansby, Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, Rocker, Freddie Smith, Spikes, Beasley, Nick Marshall, Kevin Greene and Mason would all be next in that order.

I also want to take a moment to mention maybe the most underrated AU player of all time, by AU fans, in Nick Marshall.

No doubt about it. My vote has to go to Terry Beasley. I grew up watching or listening to Pat and Terry from 1969 to 1971.

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It's funny, I have no idea who I would pick, but I was 100% certain who @augolf1716 was gonna pick!

Tucker was w/o a doubt, imo, the best all around player to ever play football at Auburn. I'm talking defense and offense

Archived