Nature Boy Ric Flair gets an ESPN 30 for 30

GwillMac6

7 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I remember watching NWA/WCW as a kid and Ric Flair was always this kind-of self-deprecating (in the ring) douche who sandbagged an entire match, only to win at the very end.

Watch the Sting match at the 1st Clash of Champions or any of the '89 Steamboat trilogy and get back to us on Flair's "sandbagging."

40 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Watch the Sting match at the 1st Clash of Champions or any of the '89 Steamboat trilogy and get back to us on Flair's "sandbagging."

By "sandbagging" I meant he purposely prolonged matches, manipulating the ebb and flow, maximizing the show. He was definitely an entertainer's entertainer.

11 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

By "sandbagging" I meant he purposely prolonged matches, manipulating the ebb and flow, maximizing the show. He was definitely an entertainer's entertainer.

He had to slow down against the likes of Luger, Koloff, Hawk and other guys who either couldn't wrestle or didn't have Flair's 60-minute stamina or both so that he could give the crowd their money's worth.

Thus the well-known "putting them over" by Flair. 

Flair could have gassed those guys away in 10 minutes with the pace he and Steamboat, Garvin and Sting ran at. 

Really good documentary and thought he was surprisingly honest about his mistakes as a father.  On a related note, did anyone else see NXT's updated version of War Games last week?  First time the match has been done under a WWE banner.  Thought it was great.

Archived