Darius Slayton's nickname for Kyle Davis

WFE12

Darius Slayton's nickname for Kyle Davis says it all

• by Michael Niziolek 247Sports

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn receiver Darius Slayton's can't help but be a little jealous of Kyle Davis

"He's obviously... I call him a mutant," Slayton said with a smile. "But he's a really good player, too. I think he brings a lot of energy to the table. He's a very excitable guy. It's good to have him back out there."

Slayton chided a reporter for asking the origin of the nickname. 

"Have you ever seen him? He's a big kid," Slayton said. "I wish I came in looking like that. That's pretty much it. He's a big kid."

Slayton and Davis are listed at the same height (6-foot-2), but the younger receiver is 23 pounds heavier without much of a drop off in athleticism or speed.

Davis, who missed the entire spring for undisclosed personal reasons, has earned rave reviews from his coaches and teammates for his attitude after returning to the team this summer. 

"He’s really, really gotten into the film room and studied the things we’re doing that are a little different maybe he hadn’t done before," Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. "He’s very impressive obviously physically; he has a lot of natural ability."

Slayton also appreciates the passion Davis brings to the field. 

"He's got a lot of personality," Slayton said. "I've actually known Kyle for a long time, since like high school, eighth grade. That's just always been Kyle. Just like I said, an excitable kid. He brings a lot of energy and fun to the game. It's good to have him out there."

Davis is a natural fit on the outside, but Lindsey is repping him at multiple positions including the slot. Davis and Sal Cannella have both caught Slayton's eye at the spot. 

"I think Coach Lindsey is doing a really good job of doing things that fit their skill set, you know?" Slayton said. "They're smoother, quicker guys, so they're doing things that allow them to operate in space. I think it's doing a really good job so far."

19 hours ago, WFE12 said:

"I think Coach Lindsey is doing a really good job of doing things that fit their skill set, you know?" Slayton said. "They're smoother, quicker guys, so they're doing things that allow them to operate in space. I think it's doing a really good job so far."

This is for sure good to hear.  

26 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

This is for sure good to hear.  

Yep, loved when I saw that. It's one thing to have the weapons and another thing to  know and utilize them optimally.

This might be the best group of receivers to ever come through Auburn. Forgive me; Obomanu, Aromashodu, Mix and Taylor. 

1 hour ago, logan adams said:

This might be the best group of receivers to ever come through Auburn. Forgive me; Obomanu, Aromashodu, Mix and Taylor. 

Based off of talent, yes. But lets see how they perform this season and beyond.

I like that Lindsey is trying to create those mismatches in the slot. Between Kyle, Sal, and Hastings, that's three different builds and skill sets that can all have a bunch of success in the slot. 

For anyone who is interested in how Lindsey uses a slot WR in his schemes, this is a good video. These are highlights of one particular kid at Southern Miss in 2015, but I think any of the three guys I named could line up and run some or all of these plays. There's  some really good designs and recognitions of coverage, and it's cool to see how Lindsey manipulates the defense to create the matchups he wants  

Archived