Bad loss for AU but...

austudnt23

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well that's true but they sure clutched up that game....and if AU had looked that bad in a play-off game, Gus would have had to hitch hike home.  I was happy to see that game....and to see OSU look lost against Oklahoma this past weekend. .

In a playoff game?! People would not be happy with a loss, but get real if you think he would have his feet to the fire for losing a playoff game.  

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Prince wasnt the worst looking o lineman. None of them looked good but that was passing or running

True...but when you are the LT and make mistake the whole world sees it I guess.....

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

In a playoff game?! People would not be happy with a loss, but get real if you think he would have his feet to the fire for losing a playoff game.  Especially, if he delivered on an NC as an HC the previous year.

Not sure....just my observation..... but Gus has had a lot of detractors from day #1 and I'm guessing that it would not matter if it was a play-off game or not .....if AU got shut out like that the long knives would be out. JMO.

Just now, AU64 said:

Not sure....just my observation..... but Gus has had a lot of detractors from day #1 and I'm guessing that it would not matter if it was a play-off game or not .....if AU got shut out like that the long knives would be out. JMO.

And he has blind followers from day one. There will always be extremes, but the general consensus would probably be happy we made the playoffs and can build on it for next season. Nobody should be happy with a loss.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

And he has blind followers from day one.

I don't think you could call them blind followers from day 1 if in his second season of OC he took us to and won a National Championship, and in year 1 as HC he took us to another National Championship.  Let's face it, without Gus, neither of us would have been alive to see Auburn at a National Championship game yet.  I think if you told an Auburn fan in 2009 (or any fan of any school really), "Hey if this guy came to your school and will take your team to the National Championship twice in seven years.  Would you take him?"  I think the answer would be a resounding yes.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We would be coming off of an SEC Championship season. There's just no way any rational person would call for his job after that type of season IMO

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gus was a rather popular choice, both as Chizik's offensive coordinator, and as the head coach.  Detractors were a minority.  I did not see detractors in an amount I would quantify as a lot until 2015.

Just now, abw0004 said:

I don't think you could call them blind followers from day 1 if in his second season of OC he took us to and won a National Championship, and in year 1 as HC he took us to another National Championship.  With out Gus, neither of us would have been alive to see Auburn at a National Championship game yet.  I think if you told an Auburn fan in 2009 (or any fan of any school really), "Hey if this guy came to your school and will take your team to the National Championship twice in seven years.  Would you take him?"  I think the answer would be a resounding yes.

You are a blind follower if you cannot seep through the good and bad. PERIOD. And some of you guys consistently do it from both sides. 

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well that's true but they sure clutched up that game....and if AU had looked that bad in a play-off game, Gus would have had to hitch hike home.  I was happy to see that game....and to see OSU look lost against Oklahoma this past weekend. .

Hitch-hike home?  Man, I'd be ecstatic just to make a playoff game at this point.

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Meh. 

We've been trending down for a long time with this guy at the helm. His record against the SEC and rivals are mediocre and atrocious. It's not just the losses, it's the way we've lost. He's a mediocre coach who cannot get out of his own way. We've been here before and the story will be the same, along with his message. He has embarrassed Auburn too many times with top notch talent.  He doesn't deserve to be the HC at Auburn and Auburn deserves more. It's so clear he's not the guy to turn this around.

I'll believe all of these sunshine pumpers when I see it on the field. 

This is what rankles me.  

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are a blind follower if you cannot seep through the good and bad. PERIOD. And some of you guys consistently do it from both sides. 

Im just saying, people have/had good reason to follow Gus for what he has done historically for Auburn.  Same for Chizik to hire Malzahn in 2009 to bring that type of offense to Auburn.  It has been a bumpy ride, for sure.  I can tell you though I am sure thankful I was a student in 2010 and 2013.

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Hitch-hike home?  Man, I'd be ecstatic just to make a playoff game at this point.

Oh....agree there but that's a steep hill in the SEC conference these days and frankly, just is not very likely...JMO :dunno: so I'm not ready to make that a litmus test for any coach at AU.    

Meanwhile...I don't fall in love with a coach....was not charged up when Gus was hired at AU....but also I had no idea what went into hiring him....who said no, etc. etc.    I  try to back whoever we have...and if the PTB's decide to run him off, then I try to support whoever follows.   I go back to Shug who was the last football coach to voluntarily retire from AU....every other one of them ....before him and after him..... were eventually fired. 

And just looking around at the last half dozen or more of the Head Coaches hired in the SEC in the past 2 or 3 years.   Most of the schools have good programs and yet look what they got.... I would not have been excited by a single one of them....which is why I'm skeptical about what AU has to gain by tossing Gus.  

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

The answer is sanity in the football program

You mean getting a coach like most of the coaches that have been hired in the SEC in the last several years.  Hate to say it, but even with Gus being Gus, not sure there is a single HC hired in the conference since Gus has been here who is any better.  

And guess I'm asking....what makes anyone think that we could make a better hire than Tennessee or LSU or TAMU or Georgia?...and forget the JJ excuse....just assume you have your favorite AD in place already.

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Oh....agree there but that's a steep hill in the SEC conference these days and frankly, just is not very likely...JMO :dunno: so I'm not ready to make that a litmus test for any coach at AU.    

Meanwhile...I don't fall in love with a coach....was not charged up when Gus was hired at AU....but also I had no idea what went into hiring him....who said no, etc. etc.    I  try to back whoever we have...and if the PTB's decide to run him off, then I try to support whoever follows.   I go back to Shug who was the last football coach to voluntarily retire from AU....every other one of them ....before him and after him..... were eventually fired. 

And just looking around at the last half dozen or more of the Head Coaches hired in the SEC in the past 2 or 3 years.   Most of the schools have good programs and yet look what they got.... I would not have been excited by a single one of them....which is why I'm skeptical about what AU has to gain by tossing Gus.  

It's not a steep hill in the SEC.  Until proven otherwise, you literally have to beat out one team (Bama) to make the playoffs.  For me, the best in the SEC should absolutely be the litmus test for us.  I'm certainly not one to think we have to win it all every year (or even the conference), but it's not much to ask to compete for the SEC West title year in and year out.  Instead, AU hasn't consistently been in the hunt at all.  When I say "in the hunt", I mean making November games matter with regards to the SEC West championship and AU's chances of winning it.  Winning them all is unreasonable.  Having a chance at a division title isn't.

We recruit in the top 10 and support the program better than most with facilities, housing, etc.  If you aren't trying to play for championships, you shouldn't be playing.  They keep score for a reason ya know.

57 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Im just saying, people have/had good reason to follow Gus for what he has done historically for Auburn.  Same for Chizik to hire Malzahn in 2009 to bring that type of offense to Auburn.  It has been a bumpy ride, for sure.  I can tell you though I am sure thankful I was a student in 2010 and 2013.

Likewise people also have good reason to question his judgement . I imagine the students the last couple of years might have some input . If you are going to be objective about it , you need to take the good and bad, evaluating it all . As far as I am concern , the Auburn brass has shown their appreciation. First , by bringing him on as a head coach . Secondly , by giving him a pay raise . Now it's time to see progression .

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's not a steep hill in the SEC.  Until proven otherwise, you literally have to beat out one team (Bama) to make the playoffs.  For me, the best in the SEC should absolutely be the litmus test for us.  I'm certainly not one to think we have to win it all every year (or even the conference), but it's not much to ask to compete for the SEC West title year in and year out.  Instead, AU hasn't consistently been in the hunt at all.  When I say "in the hunt", I mean making November games matter with regards to the SEC West championship and AU's chances of winning it.  Winning them all is unreasonable.  Having a chance at a division title isn't.

We recruit in the top 10 and support the program better than most with facilities, housing, etc.  If you aren't trying to play for championships, you shouldn't be playing.  They keep score for a reason ya know.

I think your level of expectation is a bit unreasonable ...but that's just me.   Your view is probably more popular than mine...but I'm betting that you or others who share your expectations don't enjoy AU sports any more than I do. 

\To each his own so guess I should not complain about how others see the situation.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Likewise people also have good reason to question his judgement . I imagine the students the last couple of years might have some input . If you are going to be objective about it , you need to take the good and bad, evaluating it all . As far as I am concern , the Auburn brass has shown their appreciate. First , by bringing him on as a head coach . Secondly , by giving him a pay raise . Now it's time to see progression .

Dag, he has had his chance to show progression and all he has shown is regression and confusion.   No more excuses and BS.   AU made him wealthy and his incompetence has been rewarded with millions.    Enough

The good thing about Mercer is we can let both KP and KJ rest and Kam, Malik, Devon will get some PT. I think Devon has the size and speed to help us more like a KJ  but a Malik, Devon, Kam combination may need to be tested with both of our orginal starers hurting,

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think your level of expectation is a bit unreasonable ...but that's just me.   Your view is probably more popular than mine...but I'm betting that you or others who share your expectations don't enjoy AU sports any more than I do. 

\To each his own so guess I should not complain about how others see the situation.

I've worked in athletics before.  I can guarantee you that my level of expectation is the same as the coaches and players.  Compete for the SEC West title year in and year out.  There's nothing unreasonable about that considering our recruiting and resources.  Note that I'm not saying win it every year.  I'm saying compete and make November games matter.

You seem to have the attitude that 8-4 is ok year in and year out with a mediocre bowl and maybe we'll hit a 10-win season every now and then.  That's fine for West Virginia.  We aren't West Virignia.  9-10 wins should be the standard at Auburn, especially given that three of our games are bought and paid for wins every year.

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

He's saying you have Louisville as a loss but we won that game. However you forgot the loss to uat in 15.

My bad on the Louisville game, however the point remains the same 

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've worked in athletics before.  I can guarantee you that my level of expectation is the same as the coaches and players.  Compete for the SEC West title year in and year out.  There's nothing unreasonable about that considering our recruiting and resources.  Note that I'm not saying win it every year.  I'm saying compete and make November games matter.

You seem to have the attitude that 8-4 is ok year in and year out with a mediocre bowl and maybe we'll hit a 10-win season every now and then.  That's fine for West Virginia.  We aren't West Virignia.  9-10 wins should be the standard at Auburn, especially given that three of our games are bought and paid for wins every year.

Sometimes teams like Utah St. fail to read that fine print on the contract. ;)

Archived