***Auburn 52 Arkansas 20 -- Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

It's always good to beat Arkansas, I don't like them. That said, they are a terrible football team. I can't get overly excited about the outcome of last nights game. Auburn left points on the field in the first quarter/half in the red zone, that I think were due to play selection at that moment, that needs to be addressed. I desperately want to see a safety valve on some of the deep routes, I also would love for Malik to actually get to run the offense before it's a must. Happy to the win on the road, glad to have the bye to try and get guys healthy for the home stretch. War Eagle!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AU64 said:

From what I hear, just about 100% of the respect that UGA has in the rankings is because of their win over Notre Dame.....as ND prospers, UGA looks good by comparison.....and goes along for the same ride. 

Folks...take a look at their schedule...:  http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-georgia-bulldogs-football-schedule.php

There is no other win on Georgia's schedule that justifies them being ranked higher that 20th in the polls.  Beat MSU in Athens....but otherwise a total marsh mellow schedule to this point....and a suspect Florida team coming up.    That's why I'm not particularly worried about UGA...

Yes but most people thought that we were going to beat LSU. Besides Clemson we haven't played anyone that should be ranked in top 20. Georgia seems have us figured out every year. We may still beat Georgia but we are going to have to play better than we have been.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:39 PM, OnthePlains said:

A one loss or unbeaten Big 10 champ is in and likely, a one loss Clemson is in and likely, a one loss Oklahoma team is in with that road win over OSU, a one loss Notre Dame team is in, if its Washington then a one loss Pac-12 champ might get in over us plus by the time LSU loses to bama and possibly A&M that loss will look worse than it does now.  Not to mention its not as if Auburn always gets the benefit of the doubt in those situations.  No 2 loss team has made playoff yet and I don't think there is any guarantee it happens this year.  Plus.....we ain't winning out anyway...

you have a better chance of winning the power ball than us winning out with Captain Obvious at the helm.

7 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I like how folks will give Gus every benefit of the doubt when he beats teams like Mizzou, Ole Miss and Arky and talk about how its crazy that some want him gone and at the same time they will judge other team's schedules and say they haven't beaten anyone...you can't have it both ways.  Either the schedule matters or it doesn't.  Georgia has looked impressive against the crap teams and they went on the road and won in South Bend against a currently 1-loss ND team.  That's a better road win than we have right now although maybe you could argue that LSU would have been a better win if Gus hadn't peed his pants in the 2nd half.  Georgia has won every game they played which we also cannot say.  Georgia hasn't wet the bed yet.  We have twice.  Maybe they will this week against their nemesis the Gators but I doubt it.  I still think we can beat Georgia if Gus leaves the offense the hell alone but lets not sit here and say they haven't beaten anyone because neither has Auburn.  

I don’t think anyone is giving Gus the benefit of the doubt.

but, but you(and the mob) decide how people feel.  That’s whats wrong with this world there is no room for debate, no room for differences, no place for individual thinking... either agree with the mob or be banished.  And I’m not talking about Gus I’m talking in general. 

On 10/21/2017 at 11:36 PM, Farmer Brown said:

Do you think that this team with Gustard as head coach, can do that? I don't, based on the last seven games.

I don't believe ANY team in the top 5 could do that.

Best we can do is win out during the regular season. I see no way of beating Georgia and Bama twice this year. Beating either once will be tough enough.

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

I don’t think anyone is giving Gus the benefit of the doubt.

but, but you(and the mob) decide how people feel.  That’s whats wrong with this world there is no room for debate, no room for differences, no place for individual thinking... either agree with the mob or be banished.  And I’m not talking about Gus I’m talking in general. 

What the heck are you talking about???? You're making the same point I am.  I want everyone to have their own opinion and express it but you just did exactly what you are accusing me of doing.  Defend Gus all you want, have at it. I'm not stopping you or anyone else.  But those of us who are sick of his under achieving get told we are a "mob" and we are over reacting so its the same mentality on both sides.  You can have your opinion and I can have mine.  Its a football message board not a political debate forum. 

7 hours ago, Tigercj said:

you have a better chance of winning the power ball than us winning out with Captain Obvious at the helm.

I know you are being sarcastic, but I like Auburn's odds to win out over me winning the PB or MG. ;)

9 hours ago, Tigercj said:

Yes but most people thought that we were going to beat LSU. Besides Clemson we haven't played anyone that should be ranked in top 20. Georgia seems have us figured out every year. We may still beat Georgia but we are going to have to play better than we have been.

Funny thing is that narrow win over AU is considered a big plus for Clemson...one of their best wins.

After the kick return by Arky, I noticed a play on the following drive where all our receivers are deep down field and Stidham has nowhere to go with the ball. I know I've read this complaint before and heard others mention it during the game. What I also noticed was KJ runs to the edge of the Oline and helps seal the edge, however there is no one for him to block. Why is he not releasing out to give Stidham a check down? Even if he has someone to block why does he not just lay a lick and release for a quick pass? (He would need to get Stidhams attention in the case of the latter so stidham would throw quickly to him) The play would go for a massive gain. Whats up with that? Has this same thing happened all year when all our receivers go deep?

@corchjay @bigbird 

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

After the kick return by Arky, I noticed a play on the following drive where all our receivers are deep down field and Stidham has nowhere to go with the ball. I know I've read this complaint before and heard others mention it during the game. What I also noticed was KJ runs to the edge of the Oline and helps seal the edge, however there is no one for him to block. Why is he not releasing out to give Stidham a check down? Even if he has someone to block why does he not just lay a lick and release for a quick pass? (He would need to get Stidhams attention in the case of the latter so stidham would throw quickly to him) The play would go for a massive gain. Whats up with that? Has this same thing happened all year when all our receivers go deep?

@corchjay @bigbird 

I'm not sure about all year, but it seems that way.  It makes very little sense to me and I've stopped trying to figure it out. 

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure about all year, but it seems that way.  It makes very little sense to me and I've stopped trying to figure it out. 

Would this not just be because of the max protection calls that they are making trying to keep JS upright and healthy?  I mean this season would take a very drastic turn if JS gets injured.  And even CGM knows how bad things can be when his starting QB goes down.

3 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Would this not just be because of the max protection calls that they are making trying to keep JS upright and healthy?  I mean this season would take a very drastic turn if JS gets injured.  And even CGM knows how bad things can be when his starting QB goes down.

I'm sure it is, but one doesn't need to go Max every time you pass unless you run 4 verts every time. If he had any underneath routs, RB routes, or checkdowns, then there wouldn't be a need for max protections. The scheme is flawed.

Just now, bigbird said:

I'm sure it is, but one doesn't need to go Max every time you pass unless you run 4 verts every time. If he had any underneath routs, RB routes, or checkdowns, then there wouldn't be a need for max protections. The scheme is flawed.

True, but you know we don't do those common sense routes and checkdowns.  We need at least 6 to block for the 8-12 seconds it takes to get to the end of the range of JS.  hahaha

Seriously though, good point.  A few underneath routes and that backs everyone off the LoS and opens up the RB for more options.

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Good scheme, if you want to automatically drop 2-3 winnables.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Gotta give the boys a chance. It's mind boggling we have no safety valves in these plays. 

10 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

@corchjay @bigbird 

It seems to happen regularly so it's got to be by design.  There are plays sometimes where you essentially call 4 verticals.  Could also be setting something up for later where you have the same look, same formation, same routes but release the back out.  Why you would hold a play like that?   I have no idea.

Most run teams the philosophy is to throw the ball deep.  We want deep shots unless you liked last years offense where everything was packed in a 15 yard area.  There are holes in every offense.  Not one offense effectively uses every weapon every play every game.  Just how it is.  

There are a few plays that I would add to this offense.  Mainly the RPO slant that we saw in A-Day and the interception on the NCM ball.  TE in the flats, TE sitdown route, TE crossing route but with that you have to have a capable TE.  Obviously the staff doesn't have faith in our TEs to effectively catch the ball in traffic.  Canella isn't a TE btw.  

Hopefully with the BYE week we see some adjustments to the offense to incorporate a few different things in the pass game.  We will face 3 teams with a good pass rush to close out the regular season.  You can't rely on dominating in the run game and throwing bombs against UGA and bama.  You must methodically be able to march the football.  That requires running the football physically, great efficiency in the pass game, and staying on time in down in distance.  With UGA and bama's offense for instance you might kick off the 3rd qtr to them and they drive the length of the field and you hold them to a field goal, then they kick to you and you pick up a first down and punt them inside the 20 and they again drive the length of the field on you and you don't get the ball back until the 4th qtr.  

Couple other things to add, it's good to see Bubba back, maybe he's close to 100 percent.  It's hard to tell with Arkansas.  Getting some of the OL healed up is a good thing.  The team needed a break.  WR play has improved but they need to get better.  Can't be dropping easy perfectly thrown balls.  

Archived