Next year's team

shabby

So, I am excited about Auburn's future prospect. I believe we have a coaching staff and the players to start competing each year. I'm a believer again and the future looks bright. I'm curious as to what our team will look like in the face of brutal away team schedule. For each position, what are expectations? Strengths / weaknesses.  Biggest player losses. Who steps up. Offensive line? who do we lose and who steps up? I know, way to early with the IRon Bowl coming up, but I like to look forward to things!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like this year the big question will be the O-Line. We are losing the core of this O-Line Braden, Golson, Dunn. The injury to Horton has given Harrel a chance and he has come through, Prince has improved as the year went on.  So next year we will have Horton and Harrell at guard, Prince at one of the tackles probably at LT Ashley and the other Prince at tackle and maybe Kim at center. That is a lot of new faces and not a lot of experience. With the year KJ has had I expect he will be gone so we will have a healthy KP and a bunch of talented but inexperienced players at RB we should have Stidham, Mailik at QB and most of our receivers returning.  D we are loosing a lot of DB's either to graduation or the NFL or both. Holland probably leaves early after the year he has had.  

We are going to have to see if we are rebuilding or re-loading next year.  We need to finish out our recruiting class this year with some Strong O-Line at least one maybe two CB's a couple of DE's and a couple more LB's.  Some of them may need to play significant roles next year.

• WarTiger changed the title to Next year's team

We will need a strong recruiting on both sides of the ball. I think now with this win, recruiting will really pick up and we will be able to go into Georgia and pluck some good players. We will likely hit Georgia a bit harder as well as Florida and Alabama. We need a top 10 class and I think we are well on the way to achieving this.

I wouldn't assume KJ goes pro just yet. Kid loves Auburn and is the type of kid who would stay. It would be smart if he can get a 1st or 3nd round grade but if not I believe he stays. He will have KP back next year also barring unforseen circunstances.

4 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I wouldn't assume KJ goes pro just yet. Kid loves Auburn and is the type of kid who would stay. It would be smart if he can get a 1st or 3nd round grade but if not I believe he stays. He will have KP back next year also barring unforseen circunstances.

Yep, I think KJ stays. He’s all Auburn

Next year will depend on Stidham and the WRs development.  OL will need to get better.  We are losing smith, Golson, and Dunn.  We have talent but experience is huge on the OL.  LB and safety play will be inexperienced as well.  Plus talent level at safety will be way down.  So next year depends a lot on development of the younger players.  Schedule will be brutal as always.  My expectations for this year was 10-2.   I would say expectations for next year in an early look ahead would be 9-3ish.

25 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Yep, I think KJ stays. He’s all Auburn

I hope you're right. KJ is just having his breakout year this year. Gus needs to convince him to stay by committing to promote him for the Heisman next year, which would raise his NFL stock value a lot.

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Next year will depend on Stidham and the WRs development.  OL will need to get better.  We are losing smith, Golson, and Dunn.  We have talent but experience is huge on the OL.  LB and safety play will be inexperienced as well.  Plus talent level at safety will be way down.  So next year depends a lot on development of the younger players.  Schedule will be brutal as always.  My expectations for this year was 10-2.   I would say expectations for next year in an early look ahead would be 9-3ish.

Schedule matters too.  We will be breaking in some new O-lineman against an experienced Washington team.  Also have to travel to UGA and Bama.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Schedule matters too.  We will be breaking in some new O-lineman against an experienced Washington team.  Also have to travel to UGA and Bama.

Yep I mentioned that.  I think LSU will be much improved as well.  Their young defenders will be better.  For them a lot depends on QB development.  A running Qb in that offense would be a nightmare.

25 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I hope you're right. KJ is just having his breakout year this year. Gus needs to convince him to stay by committing to promote him for the Heisman next year, which would raise his NFL stock value a lot.

I think his stock will be better next year if for nothing else other than the running back class being too strong this year. KJ and Stidham will both probably start on Heisman lists in Vegas next year. We need KJ back for sure. Our running back stable would be tops in country if all our guys return!

53 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Its good seeing Peters get as much PT as he has this year. We are going to be so thin and young. Peters, Thomas, Dinson(maybe) will be the rotation.  It will be interrsting to see if the studs we have committed can get here in the spring and push the others for a position.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

There’s no way KJ isn’t a Top 5 projected back and there’s also no way he returns after the workload he got this year. That’d just be selfish to ask him to blow his shelf life on us 

37 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

There’s no way KJ isn’t a Top 5 projected back and there’s also no way he returns after the workload he got this year. That’d just be selfish to ask him to blow his shelf life on us 

He is the best player in the SEC but I am not sure he will project as a top 5 back.  Guice, Harris, BArkley, USC rb Jones I believe, and the 2 kids at UGA prob are projected higher than KJ atm.  I am not saying that they are better rb than KJ but they project better at the next level.  This is the first year KJ has showed what he can do with carrying the load.  He was injured early in the year and has not had a full season where he is healthy yet.  KJ is running with pure heart and determination which is a thing of beauty to watch.  He reminds me of how Tre ran in 13 not running style wise just the pure heart and determination he is running with.  Also sometimes kids want to stay in college.  I am not saying KJ has told anyone he will stay no matter what, but he is a very good kid and the type of kid who would stick around.  Caddy and Ronnie both decided to come back in 04 even though they were not getting the type of hype KJ is right now I believe they were both projected to be drafted and Caddy I believe was a 2nd round projection. It is pretty much a given KP will be back next year and if both could stay healthy KJ would not have to carry the load.  Also we have a couple of pretty good young rbs who will be a year older next year.

If KJ is given a 3rd round or higher grade he probably should take the money and run.  

Beyond that Holland and C. Davis would be the other possible that would go into the draft.  

Carlton may be ready but I still think Holland needs a little more fine tuning in run support.  

Looking forward though K-Mart and Barrett both need to try to put on about 15 LBs in the off season.  

The early bowl practices will be great for Ashley, Peters, Barrett and the young LBs and o-Line, plus Malik Willis.

If holland stays, 1st rounder in 2019.  Carlton could possibly move to 1st round if he stayed as well.   DeShaun and Tre will be missed.   Safety will be a position of need in a bad way.   O line will need some help and hopefully the 5 star tackle from last years class can come in and take over RT.  If kp and kj come back great, but I’m of the opinion that RBs are probably the easiest position to replace in terms of player experience 

The NFL may have to restructure itself financially after this season. How would college football be if there were no incentives to go pro? It will survive, but the CTE and the politicization of the sport is going to hurt it. These players better be sure to get their degree first. JMO 

I am hopeful for next year.

The OL loses some seniors, but we were able to develop some depth due to injuries giving quality playing time to others. The veteran strength will shift from the right side to the left side. Kaleb Kim probably would have gotten significant playing time this year had we not had Casey Dunn transfer in.

If KJ goes to the NFL, we still should have Pettway back. I don't see Stidham leaving after this year.

The defense is where we stand to loose a lot. I expect Holland to go to the NFL, and we will lose a lot in the secondary.

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Like this year the big question will be the O-Line. We are losing the core of this O-Line Braden, Golson, Dunn. The injury to Horton has given Harrel a chance and he has come through, Prince has improved as the year went on.  So next year we will have Horton and Harrell at guard, Prince at one of the tackles probably at LT Ashley and the other Prince at tackle and maybe Kim at center. That is a lot of new faces and not a lot of experience. With the year KJ has had I expect he will be gone so we will have a healthy KP and a bunch of talented but inexperienced players at RB we should have Stidham, Mailik at QB and most of our receivers returning.  D we are loosing a lot of DB's either to graduation or the NFL or both. Holland probably leaves early after the year he has had.  

We are going to have to see if we are rebuilding or re-loading next year.  We need to finish out our recruiting class this year with some Strong O-Line at least one maybe two CB's a couple of DE's and a couple more LB's.  Some of them may need to play significant roles next year.

Trey Hill will probably come in and start as a true freshman if he can come into camp in shape.

56 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

If holland stays, 1st rounder in 2019.  Carlton could possibly move to 1st round if he stayed as well.   DeShaun and Tre will be missed.   Safety will be a position of need in a bad way.   O line will need some help and hopefully the 5 star tackle from last years class can come in and take over RT.  If kp and kj come back great, but I’m of the opinion that RBs are probably the easiest position to replace in terms of player experience 

Deshaun is a junior and I don't believe he's leaving for the draft. Carlton definitely needs to stay for his sake and ours though 4-star cb Christian Tutt committing tuesday to us will help tremendously. Holland is as good as gone.

30 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Trey Hill will probably come in and start as a true freshman if he can come into camp in shape.

I seriously doubt that happens with Harrell and Horton.  Both nice run blockers and have some experience.  Tega on the left and either Sammons/Ashley on the right.  Center is and will be a concern for me until we get a talented center.  If Kim comes along great but if not we are looking at moving someone or possibly relying in Irvin.  Clay Webb would be wise to at least look at AU if nothing other then the depth chart at Center.

Archived