Top AD candidates becoming clearer

WDE_OxPx_2010

Link

I'm liking what I'm seeing regarding the search.

Auburn's search includes at least Utah State athletic director John Hartwell, NFL chief information officer Michelle McKenna-Doyle , both of whom expressed their interest in the position to AL.com last month, and former Auburn kicker and chief operating officer at Arise Virtual Solutions Scott Etheridge.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two are definitely good candidates, don't know much about #1.  Etheridge stands out to me for the on-field and in office experience.

1 minute ago, AUFlyer99 said:

don't know much about #1.

Currently AD at Utah State, was at Troy State as AD from '12-'15 and at Ole Miss for 9 years prior to that (as Sr. Associate AD).  NOT a good ol' boy.

5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

The Utah State guy seems pretty interesting.

I can appreciate Etheridge, and think he would probably be really good.

I can understand McKenna-Doyle and would be all for her as SID.

But Hartwell seems to be so far in the opposite direction of Jay Jacobs that I tend to think he would be outstanding.

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

But Hartwell seems to be so far in the opposite direction of Jay Jacobs that I tend to think he would be outstanding.

I agree with all of your points here.

wde

Michelle McKenna-Doyle good Scott Etheridge good I would be happy with either of these.

44 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

You would not leave a board level post with the NFL to be the SID at AU. She is more than qualified to be the AD and it would be a good move for AU. Hire a highly qualified candidate who also would be a great PR move. 

Salary might be an issue here. I could not find current salaries but in 2009 Goodell made about 9 million and the lowest paid executive VP made 1.2. 

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Link

I'm liking what I'm seeing regarding the search.

Nothing at all against Scott.  If he is the BEST candidate then great.  I just prefer Auburn to go with someone who has no connections with the good ole boy network.  This is a multi million dollar corporation and it should be ran that way by a qualified candidate who has the ability to run a Multi million dollar corporation.  Not someone who the power people feel like they can control.  If they control him then they control everything that goes on in football just like they have forever.

5 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Nothing at all against Scott.  If he is the BEST candidate then great.  I just prefer Auburn to go with someone who has no connections with the good ole boy network.  This is a multi million dollar corporation and it should be ran that way by a qualified candidate who has the ability to run a Multi million dollar corporation.  Not someone who the power people feel like they can control.  If they control him then they control everything that goes on in football just like they have forever.

Considering how things have gone for years in southern athletics it's pretty doubtful that McKenna-Doyle has anything whatsoever to do with the "good old boy" network.....unless back in the day, someone asked her to run get some coffee for everyone during a meeting....

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Considering how things have gone for years in southern athletics it's pretty doubtful that McKenna-Doyle has anything whatsoever to do with the "good old boy" network.....unless back in the day, someone asked her to run get some coffee for everyone during a meeting....

No doubt.  There is just too much smoke every year about meddling and placing demands on how a coach at Auburn is to staff his assistants to not have fire.  Look at what Gus did since ole Jay was neutered.  Let a coach run his program and staff as he sees fit and hold him accountable if it fails.

If McKenna-Doyle was hired, would she be the first female AD in AU history? Genuinely asking.

She'd be a homerun hire. Either her or Etheridge...though I like McKenna-Doyle more.

6 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

If McKenna-Doyle was hired, would she be the first female AD in AU history? Genuinely asking.

She'd be a homerun hire. Either her or Etheridge...though I like McKenna-Doyle more.

Looks like we've had 10 total and no woman has previously been our AD. 

19 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

I was wondering the same.  And if one step further, would she be the first in SEC or even for any P5 college?

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

No idea if it is true or not, but when her name was first brought up weeks ago on this forum it was mentioned that several people already closely involved with the AD are pushing for her. That seems a bit concerning. Etheridge also sounds like another good ole boy type hire to me but I have no idea what his relationship with BOT or current AD employees are.

1 minute ago, AUBourne said:

No idea if it is true or not, but when her name was first brought up weeks ago on this forum it was mentioned that several people already closely involved with the AD are pushing for her. That seems a bit concerning. Etheridge also sounds like another good ole boy type hire to me but I have no idea what his relationship with BOT or current AD employees are.

Gotta keep in mind....and this is just my opinion but Auburn is about as PC as the next school and a female AD would be a slam dunk to get approved.   Not saying she is also not the best candidate but there is more involved these days....thinking of AU;s Title IX issues, etc. etc.....t she would be a very good selection...JMO

The Lady is definitely qualified IMHO this would be a great hire all the way around.....and I do not have a PC bone in my body. ???

3 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Two are definitely good candidates, don't know much about #1.  Etheridge stands out to me for the on-field and in office experience.

Scott gets my vote too. The lady is Pat Dye's candidate.

4 minutes ago, WarTim said:

The Lady is definitely qualified IMHO this would be a great hire all the way around.....and I do not have a PC bone in my body. ???

Me neither...but I know what needs to be said sometimes....no matter what I am thinking..?

44 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Scott gets my vote too. The lady is Pat Dye's candidate.

Pat is an old guy and isn't going to live forever.....we need to plan for the future....

Archived