2018 3* TE Matt Alaimo

GwillMac6

51 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

If we land Matt: We will have a blocking TE (Harris), a pass catching TE (Matt), and a TE who can make duck faces into the tv camera (Sal). Maybe if we combine all of the 3's talents, we can have one cumulative successful TE.

Don't underestimate those duck faces.  His form and execution are sheer perfection.  You can tell he spent time in the weight room.  Great intimidation tactic.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

One would think that if an SEC school offered the kid would find out about it, whether the high school coach was there that day or not. How could something that important not get relayed immediately? Just curious. 

Unfortunately not every coach goes out of their way to help their players get noticed by colleges or communicates college interest well.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

This is the third player about whom I've seen this "the kid didn't know he had an offer" statement. Two this year and one last year. That seems ridiculous. It's at the same level as "Oh, your mother got run over by a train and killed last week. Sorry you weren't informed". It doesn't make sense.

There's been a few every year FTR but yes it's mind-numbingly ridiculous!

50 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Don't underestimate those duck faces.  His form and execution are sheer perfection.  You can tell he spent time in the weight room.  Great intimidation tactic.

Yes, since Sal will not make it to the NFL as a TE, this could be his fall back career.

23 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Yes, since Sal will not make it to the NFL as a TE, this could be his fall back career.

Well he's a WR not a TE for us anyway.

This is on the HS coach who left as at the time the staff could not speak directly to the player.  I watched his film obviously he has the size at 6'5" 235 pounds as a senior in HS. What impressed me was how he found open spaces and that he also was used on deeper routes. yes the kids were smaller then him but he also ran away from some DB's which you don't see many  TE's do.  He has the size to be both a blocking TE and the speed and hands to be a receiving TE. That makes it more difficult for teams to defend as they don't know what he will do. One year in the Weight Program will get him to 245 and the long arms will help him in punching when blocking. I would expect it to take him a year to be an SEC ready TE but I like the potential.  

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Have to agree with @abw0004 on this one. I might've joined in with the criticism before, but we threw to Sal this year and he just refused to catch the ball. Auburn fans love to say our receivers can't catch, going back to 2011 and maybe before, and I've frequently and loudly argued against that. But there were too many times when Sal absolutely had to make the easy play and didn't. Instead of Gus deciding before the game that a player couldn't be trusted- his single biggest flaw since early 2015, IMO- Sal was given multiple opportunities before they shut him down. 

As abw said, we went out and got the right guy in Rice. He fell through unexpectedly and all by himself, and we did a really good job of getting the next right guy in Sal. It was absolutely the right move. We got him, we got him open and we got him the ball. This one's not on the coaches. 

If Shenker and Alaimo fall through, we've got a different conversation. 

ok. ok.. you got me...I succumb to the fact that we did try, but the players simply didnt pan out for us...

So now let's GET that good receiving TE...and be more potent in our passing game..!!!!!!

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

So now let's GET that good receiving TE...and be more potent in our passing game..!!!!!!

Could not agree more, sir. This guy certainly looks the part. 

I’m optimistic in thinking SAl Canella can also improve in his second year! No one is giving him a second look at all. I remember a debate on this forum last year about teaching a receiver how to catch the ball better, maybe he can grow!

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

I’m optimistic in thinking SAl Canella can also improve in his second year! No one is giving him a second look at all. I remember a debate on this forum last year about teaching a receiver how to catch the ball better, maybe he can grow!

My diatribe aside, you're totally right. But we do need insurance against that not happening, and tight end is a position in our offense, so we need good ones in 2018 and after. 

13 minutes ago, toddc said:

He probably is already the right size! I thought the discussion was on his ability to catch??

cracked myself up!

Not trying to derail the topic(sorry E), but Jalen Harris picked AU over Bama, LSU and others. He was the no. 26 TE recruit nationally. Was he always just a blocker or was he supposed to be more of a receiver as well? Not that a good blocker isn't valuable, I just thought he would be more than that.

8 minutes ago, CR said:

Not trying to derail the topic(sorry E), but Jalen Harris picked AU over Bama, LSU and others. He was the no. 26 TE recruit nationally. Was he always just a blocker or was he supposed to be more of a receiver as well? Not that a good blocker isn't valuable, I just thought he would be more than that.

Staff always viewed him as a blocker with the potential to be a receiving option. Guess that did not pan out in their eyes.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well he's a WR not a TE for us anyway.

He can't catch, you can label him however you want.

28 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

He can't catch, you can label him however you want.

Didn't say or imply he could. Just pointing out the staff sees him as a TE not a WR now. Even though my post was a reply to yours it was not apart of whatever conversation y'all were having. It was just one of those points of reality statements I make that bugs people sometimes.

Now let's get back to Matt Alaimo. I'd love to get him.

13 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Don't sleep on John Samuel Shenker either, who redshirted in 2017

I agree. I think there is potential there.  I’m looking forward to seeing him in the Spring.

However, the desperation to sign a TE in this class says either JSS isn’t developing as well as they hoped, OR the TE is gonna be such an important part of the O moving forward that we must start building depth right away.  ?‍♂️

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This is on the HS coach who left as at the time the staff could not speak directly to the player. 

No, this is on someone on the AU staff that didn't follow up.  There are numerous ways to contact a person via tweets, email, phone call or "gasp" a good old fashioned letter. The idea that a prospect could have a scholarship offer from AU and not know it is beyond bizarre. Someone on our end had to drop the ball.

An alternative explanation is there was no earlier offer. That makes a lot more sense than a kid having an offer and not knowing about it.

13 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

If we land Matt: We will have a blocking TE (Harris), a pass catching TE (Matt), and a TE who can make duck faces into the tv camera (Sal). Maybe if we combine all of the 3's talents, we can have one cumulative successful TE.

When I multi quoted this, I didn't know the discussion about Sal would already take place. Sorry.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Didn't say or imply he could. Just pointing out the staff sees him as a TE not a WR now. Even though my post was a reply to yours it was not apart of whatever conversation y'all were having. It was just one of those points of reality statements I make that bugs people sometimes.

Now let's get back to Matt Alaimo. I'd love to get him.

Wait are you saying Sal is now considered a TE by the coaching staff and not a WR?

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, this is on someone on the AU staff that didn't follow up.  There are numerous ways to contact a person via tweets, email, phone call or "gasp" a good old fashioned letter. The idea that a prospect could have a scholarship offer from AU and not know it is beyond bizarre. Someone on our end had to drop the ball.

An alternative explanation is there was no earlier offer. That makes a lot more sense than a kid having an offer and not knowing about it.

Wouldn't this be Porter, his position coach, and the person who went to see him last year?

Anyway, hope this kid signs and can become a monster in the middle for us. Unfortunately it probably wouldn't be next year. He could probably use a year in the weight room (most freshmen do.)

• 2 weeks later...

Jimbo likes and uses TE's that proves to we we are on the right track in trying to get this kid. Come on Down Matt and become a Plainsman/Tiger/War Eagle. There is no place else where you can be all three.

I saw in the article on our recruits that he went fishing at Gus's lake and loved it. He had never been fishing before.

8 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I saw in the article on our recruits that he went fishing at Gus's lake and loved it. He had never been fishing before.

We’re “at the top” according to that article.  

Archived