Sign in to follow this  
slot canyon

Softball Practice 2018 Season

This might be good place for observations and news articles about practice leading up to the season.  The following is just a jumble of thoughts after attending practice (in the company of Mrs. Slot) yesterday.  There is a lot happening at any one time so a lot goes unnoticed on my part.  

Softball Practice Thursday,  January 11, 2018

Walking Wounded: Tannon Snow and Schiele did not participate in any fielding or base running drills but did hit some batting practice.  Greenwood as previously noted in arm sling (redshirt).  Dakota Morrow did not practice and had obvious limp. 

A number of the players looked to be trimmer than last fall.  Compared to a lot of teams I see they are a very trim looking group.  Where’s the Beef?  There ain’t none. 

After general warm up moved to some base running with sacrifice situations and bunts and steals.  I should mention there was not any “live pitching” by our staff during this practice.  Again, it appears Coach Dean will not hesitate to move runners either by steals or sacrifice plays. 

Carosone worked some drills with the catchers.  Passed balls and pop ups.  I feel Shea has taken to her role as lead catcher and upped her game.  She was active in providing instruction to Tisser and Gutierrez.  Tissier seems to have a tad more quickness than Gutierrez.  No reps by Veach during this practice. 

McCrackin played a lot at 3rd and just a bit at SS.  She was also stroking the ball well in batting drills.  Taylon Snow vast majority of time at SS.  Again what can you say…she just knows what to do.  When ever a ball is hit her way it is as though she is thinking to herself “OK, I have seen this 1,000 times and know how to handle it.”  Can’t believe she is a freshman.  Still appears to be the competition at 2nd between KK and Makenna.  In terms of batting, KK appears to be more of a slapper/ball placement type hitter while Makenna shows more power and also appears to be good bunter. I like both of them. 

In batting practice people I recall hitting HR’s were Perry, Podany, Tisser (2) Fornis, Veach , McCrackin, Olszewski and Rivera.  Bree Fornis hits some good line shots and has nice stroke.  Also, Makayla Martin hit batting practice and connected on a few good balls.  She appeared to be having a good time.  Again this was hitting against pitching machines and GA’s pitching. Nice over cast day with temps mid 60's for the most part. 

Edited by slot canyon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the notes, Slot.  I think you meant Makenna, not Makayla, in the 2B discussion.  Interesting to me that Martin keeps taking batting practice, while the pitchers who have been touted as  hitters (Swindle and Harris) apparently do not. 

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Thanks for the notes, Slot.  I think you meant Makenna, not Makayla, in the 2B discussion.  Interesting to me that Martin keeps taking batting practice, while the pitchers who have been touted as  hitters (Swindle and Harris) apparently do not. 

Thanks....corrected.

Any schedule of practice being open to the public?  I saw a schedule for the first week but haven't seen a schedule for theupcoming week.  Would like to stop by if I could.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:47 PM, GBAU83 said:

Any schedule of practice being open to the public?  I saw a schedule for the first week but haven't seen a schedule for theupcoming week.  Would like to stop by if I could.

I believe Coach said all practices are open to the public.

AUBURN SOFTBALL PRACTICE SCHEDULE

Week of Jan. 15-Jan. 21

Monday, Jan. 15
1-4 pm

Tuesday, Jan. 16
3:30-6 pm

Wednesday, Jan. 17
3:30-6:30 pm

Thursday, Jan. 18
3:30-6 pm

Friday, Jan. 19
No practice

Saturday, Jan. 20
1-4 pm

Sunday, Jan. 21
1-3:30 pm

RULES AND GUIDELINES

• All practices are held at Jane B. Moore Field unless otherwise noted
  • Practice times and dates are subject to change due to weather, temperatures, etc.
  • Filming of any portion practice will not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the facility
  • Fans are not allowed on to the field, in the batting cages or inside the dugouts at any time
  • Fans are not allowed behind the outfield wall along the gravel during any portion of practice
  • Concessions will not be opened during scheduled practice times

Thanks, had not seen the schedule for this week.

1 hour ago, tallgraycat said:

I went today, they were practicing, but all of the gates were locked.    

They saw you coming.  😉

• Haha 2