Herb Hand to Texas

Auhud08

I feel sorry for Texas - and my fiance since she's also a Longhorn fan. But we are both still happy he's no longer at Auburn!  :D

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We hired Hand in 2016 b/c we thought the reunion with Gus would spark a revival of Gus' offense after a pedestrian 2015 season.  That didn't really happen and in fact Lashlee lost his job b/c the offense continued to be inconsistent.  Failed experiment.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Get off my lawn or I'll hit you with my crutch! Hand went to Texas and got a promotion in the process. Are you happy with J. B. grimes as his replacement?

Let me think....YES!

47 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

We hired Hand in 2016 b/c we thought the reunion with Gus would spark a revival of Gus' offense after a pedestrian 2015 season.  That didn't really happen and in fact Lashlee lost his job b/c the offense continued to be inconsistent.  Failed experiment.

Right. The speculation was since the two worked so well together at Tulsa, that having Herb lend  a hand in coordinating, the Auburn offense would improve

22 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Most to of them are already looking somewhere else... Doesn't mean we can't pull them in... in fact, a splash hire could be the difference maker.

Does this count as a splash hire?

9 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Jury is out... It's certainly not stealing someone from another top program, but he can say he had a redshirt sophomore drafted #2. That would certainly be a selling point to some kids.

14 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Do we even know anyone who would be a splash hire?....

.I keep hearing that term but I don't recall a splash hire anywhere.   Seems to be a good way to denigrate a coaching hire without having to provide a better realistic option....JMO.

3 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Right. The speculation was since the two worked so well together at Tulsa, that having Herb lend  a hand in coordinating, the Auburn offense would improve

Apparently that worked. Auburn had the best offense in the SEC this year. Yes, I ran the numbers. For SEC games only. AU, 330 points, UAT, 307, UGA 295 and so forth.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Do we even know anyone who would be a splash hire?....

.I keep hearing that term but I don't recall a splash hire anywhere.   Seems to be a good way to denigrate a coaching hire without having to provide a better realistic option....JMO.

Yes

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I keep hearing that term but I don't recall a splash hire anywhere.   Seems to be a good way to denigrate a coaching hire without having to provide a better realistic option....JMO.

When Gus brought Muschamp in at DC... that was the definition of splash hire.  There aren't a lot of those to go around.

In this case, snagging an O-Line coach from one of the big boys, or the NFL, would have been a splash... possible, who knows, but definitely a splash.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

When Jay Jacobs brought Muschamp in at DC... that was the definition of splash hire.  There aren't a lot of those to go around..

**Fixed.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Apparently that worked. Auburn had the best offense in the SEC this year. Yes, I ran the numbers. For SEC games only. AU, 330 points, UAT, 307, UGA 295 and so forth.

Well, Mike, there is no disputing Auburn had a very proficient 2017 offense. How much of that improvement over last seasaon do you want to give Hand credit for vs Lindsey?

Muschamp was clearly a splash hire. Our defense showed signs of life and our recruiting received a nice surge of energy.

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We gave up almost 20 sacks in 2 very important non-SEC games. 

20 minutes ago, metafour said:

**Fixed.

I'm by far a fan of Gus but how does Jacobs get credit for Muschamp and Gus doesn't? IMO that was a situation where both parties needed one another at the time. Both knew it wasn't something that was going to be longterm and Muschamp didn't have to worry about Gus being involved with the defense; he had full control. Is this a typical Gus move..yes i agree but I'd rather it be a coach like Grimes than having a project coach like Kodi. Kodi may be good long term but it sure would be nice to have an experienced WR coach with all the talent we have there. 

This could possibly be a short-term deal like with Muschamp and that's fine by me because at least Stidham will standing up in the pocket more than on his azz. Until Gus is consistent and shows he wants his offense to go to the next level, then maybe he'll have bigger and better options for coaches on offense. 

12 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Well, Mike, there is no disputing Auburn had a very proficient 2017 offense. How much of that improvement over last seasaon do you want to give Hand credit for vs Lindsey?

That's not knowable. Certainly having Stidham at QB added a bunch to the offense as well. Hand couldn't have been too terrible or the results would have been different. Both Texas and Notre Dame had Hand on their short list so he must be fairly well regarded in coaching circles. I'm not against a change, but the idea that Hand was given the boot and then ended up being able to choose between Texas and Notre Dame defies logic. I just hope Grimes doesn't end up being a step in the wrong direction.

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

34 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's not knowable. Certainly having Stidham at QB added a bunch to the offense as well. Hand couldn't have been too terrible or the results would have been different. Both Texas and Notre Dame had Hand on their short list so he must be fairly well regarded in coaching circles. I'm not against a change, but the idea that Hand was given the boot and then ended up being able to choose between Texas and Notre Dame defies logic. I just hope Grimes doesn't end up being a step in the wrong direction.

Hmmm. So first you cite this year's scoring numbers to indicate Hand working with Malzahn improved the offense. Then you say how much of an improvement Hand's presence made is unknowable. So it could very well be Hand made no positive contribution to 'Auburn's offense. It could be having Stidham and Lindsey this year is the reason Auburn's offense played well. Not Hand working with Malzahn.

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Lol, nope.

"Hmmm. So first you cite this year's scoring numbers to indicate Hand working with Malzahn improved the offense. Then you say how much of an improvement Hand's presence made is unknowable. So it could very well be Hand made no positive contribution to 'Auburn's offense. It could be having Stidham and Lindsey this year is the reason Auburn's offense played well. Not Hand working with Malzahn."

No, I cited the improvement as being an indication that Hand couldn't have been too terrible.

38 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Muschamp was clearly a splash hire. Our defense showed signs of life and our recruiting received a nice surge of energy.

Muschamp was a tire patch.....apparently was never going to stay more than one year and made some improvements but was gone before we got much in the way of benefits and took a couple of decent guys with.  

No point in hiring a guys for a one year tour of duty.....players need some stability in coaches and system...not some guy using AU as a stepping stone to something better which was all Muschamp was doing and I assume everyone knows that. 

And I'm not just talking about splash at AU.....I'm looking around the league and generally a good number of the splash hires turn out to be just ordinary coaches and not much better than their predecessors.  

Those guys are smart....catch lightning in a bottle with a few exceptional players and run up some good stats...often with players recruited by someone else.....and boom...they are out of town before folks find out they are only as good as the "Jimmys and Joes" and it's not just the Xs and Os. 

42 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Lol, nope.

So if the offenses of 2015 and 2016 kept up at a high pace Lashlee still would've been let go? 

Archived