Chuck Schumer on government shutdown in 2013

Auburnfan91

I wonder why Chuck Schumer has changed his tune about a government shutdown since 2013? He certainly didn't like the idea a negotiating with a gun to his head in 2013, but that's what he's doing now in 2018 to Trump and the GOP in order to push DACA into the bill to fund the government.

33 minutes ago, homersapien said:

What's the relevance of Schumer anyway?  :dunno:

Don't the Republicans hold the majority in both houses and the presidency?

Chuck Schumer is now the current Senate Minority Leader. He's the head Democrat in the Senate and also the Chair of the Democratic Caucus. He's not some random member of Congress.  He's the mouthpiece for the Democratic Party............. In 2013 during the government shutdown he went on tv in the clips I posted, and talked about not wanting to negotiate with a gun to his head in order to fund the government.

Yet now in 2018, that's exactly what Chuck Schumer's strategy is with DACA. He's putting a gun to the GOP's head to push DACA through or else he'll get Democrats to vote against the government funding bill and shutdown the government. He didn't like a government shutdown in 2013 when Obama was the President but now that's Trump's the President, Schumer is okay with a government shutdown in order to get what Democrats want. He's a complete hypocrite......

In the Senate there has to be 60 votes for the bill to pass. The Republicans only hold a 51-49 majority in the Senate.  Right now John McCain is currently absent undergoing cancer treatments so that's one less vote that the GOP has. The GOP needs some of the Democrats in the Senate to vote for the bill in order for it to pass to avoid a government shutdown.

21 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Chuck Schumer is now the current Senate Minority Leader. He's the head Democrat in the Senate and also the Chair of the Democratic Caucus. He's not some random member of Congress.  He's the mouthpiece for the Democratic Party............. In 2013 during the government shutdown he went on tv in the clips I posted, and talked about not wanting to negotiate with a gun to his head in order to fund the government.

Yet now in 2018, that's exactly what Chuck Schumer's strategy is with DACA. He's putting a gun to the GOP's head to push DACA through or else he'll get Democrats to vote against the government funding bill and shutdown the government. He didn't like a government shutdown in 2013 when Obama was the President but now that's Trump's the President, Schumer is okay with a government shutdown in order to get what Democrats want. He's a complete hypocrite......

In the Senate there has to be 60 votes for the bill to pass. The Republicans only hold a 51-49 majority in the Senate.  Right now John McCain is currently absent undergoing cancer treatments so that's one less vote that the GOP has. The GOP needs some of the Democrats in the Senate to vote for the bill in order for it to pass to avoid a government shutdown.

This continuing budget resolution hostage strategy started with Newt Gingrich trying to strong arm Clinton.

I see it more as what-goes-around-comes-around.

The Republicans hold the majority in both houses and the presidency.  Let's see how they can govern.

24 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First, I know who Schumer is, the question I had is, why is he relevant to this situation?

How - as you put it - is Schumer "putting the gun to the GOP's head"?

The GOP has the majority.  How does that translate to leverage for Schumer?  :dunno:

He's relevant because as the Senate Minority Leader he can lobby members of his party to support or not to support bills. Chuck Schumer is the leader of the Democratic Party in Congress. How is he not relevant when it comes to shaping the Democratic Party's message and decision making?

Chuck Schumer has some leverage because the GOP needs some of the Democrats to vote for the bill in order for it to pass the Senate. Schumer has been saying that Democrats won't vote for the bill unless DACA is included in the government funding bill. He's threatening the GOP to go along with his demands or risk a government shutdown.

I'll repeat myself: In the Senate there has to be 60 votes for the bill to pass. The Republicans only hold a 51-49 majority in the Senate.  Right now John McCain is currently absent undergoing cancer treatments so that's one less vote that the GOP has. The GOP needs some of the Democrats in the Senate to vote for the bill in order for it to pass and avoid a government shutdown.

12 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I wonder why Chuck Schumer has changed his tune about a government shutdown since 2013? He certainly didn't like the idea a negotiating with a gun to his head in 2013, but that's what he's doing now in 2018 to Trump and the GOP in order to push DACA into the bill to fund the government.

So I would assume then, since you didn't express any issues with it back then, that you're perfectly ok with the Dems using the same tactic now?

I have a close family member flying Osprey's in Africa in support of US operations there....he has an amazing wife and two beautiful children under 5 in NC.  They won't be paid during this time.  He will still be in harms way supporting Chuck, his family will still be fatherless during this time....and, he will still be supporting Chuck and some of you ass clowns on this forum supporting this shut down....all because you prioritize illegal aliens more than him and his family.....multiply this by 1.4m families on active duty.  Why would any of these folks stay in the military when the Congress and half the US population treats them this way?  This is obviously a rhetorical question....he and his family have a sense of honor and service to country that you don't possess.    

7 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I have a close family member flying Osprey's in Africa in support of US operations there....he has an amazing wife and two beautiful children under 5 in NC.  They won't be paid during this time.  He will still be in harms way supporting Chuck, his family will still be fatherless during this time....and, he will still be supporting Chuck and some of you ass clowns on this forum supporting this shut down....all because you prioritize illegal aliens more than him and his family.....multiply this by 1.4m families on active duty.  Why would any of these folks stay in the military when the Congress and half the US population treats them this way?  This is obviously a rhetorical question....he and his family have a sense of honor and service to country that you don't possess.    

I can't recall...did you make this same impassioned speech the last time a government shutdown was threatened?  If not, why not?

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I can't recall...did you make this same impassioned speech the last time a government shutdown was threatened?  If not, why not?

Two actually ... one related to Congress's dereliction of their constitutional duty and the 2nd at the administration for it's childish actions to actully spend $$ to fence in open and "close down" pedestrian malls and open air national monuments that are "always open".....  

47 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Two actually ... one related to Congress's dereliction of their constitutional duty and the 2nd at the administration for it's childish actions to actully spend $$ to fence in open and "close down" pedestrian malls and open air national monuments that are "always open".....  

Perhaps you could help me with a link to your previous denunciation of government shutdowns.  I can't seem to find one here.  The only comments I can find from you are these:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/133784-no-recreating/?tab=comments#comment-1923313

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/147486-john-boehner-is-resigning/?tab=comments#comment-2329175

Neither of them seem to be that concerned about the plight of our men and women in uniform and the sense of honor and service those who support it lack.

Maybe it exists and I just missed it.  What I've noticed from most conservatives before is that they were in full support of such brinkmanship, or even a full shutdown, if it advanced GOP/conservative agenda points.  They don't seem to have the same enthusiasm for the tactic when the other side decides to play though.

It's especially upsetting when it's over something other than one your parties priorities, right?

"@RNC leadership should not be afraid of a government shutdown. They should be afraid of not defunding ObamaCare."

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 18, 2013

"Congratulations to @SpeakerBoehner on standing strong and tying government shutdown to defunding ObamaCare."

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 20, 2013

'“Here’s the truth, the gov't doesn’t shutdown” http://t.co/Ny6RxVYiP0 via @AP. All essential services continue. Don't believe lies.'

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 23, 2013

"83% of the government is still running during the shutdown while 41% of nondefense federal workers are furloughed. Room for cuts."

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 7, 2013

"Stocks rose yesterday during the first day of government shutdown. Markets like being left alone for a day."

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2013

I bet he'll be right on this count, seeing how he's mishandled this thing:

"My sense is that people are far angrier at the President than they are at Congress re the shutdown—an interesting turn!"

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 7, 2013

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

So I would assume then, since you didn't express any issues with it back then, that you're perfectly ok with the Dems using the same tactic now?

:rolleyes:

So you're okay with Schumer flip flopping but apparently you're going to somehow make up that I was okay with the shutdown in 2013. You must have me mistaken for someone else because I never said or even implied that I was for the shutdown in 2013.

I made a whopping one post back in October 2013 when the shutdown happened and it wasn't a glowing endorsement of the GOP's shutdown strategy:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/133958-confusing-politics-with-religion/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-1927999

On 10/17/2013 at 3:55 PM, Auburnfan91 said:

The Republican party needs a complete restructuring. John Boehner has to go. He's not getting the job done. You don't have a be a tea party conservative to see he's not helping Republcans at all. If he was any kind of leader he wouldn't have let the shutdown happen.

I slammed John Boehner back in October 2013 for the shutdown. That's right, I blamed the GOP Speaker of the House back in 2013 for his lack of leadership and letting the shutdown occur.

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

:rolleyes:

So you're okay with Schumer flip flopping but apparently you're going to somehow make up that I was okay with the shutdown in 2013. You must have me mistaken for someone else because I never said or even implied that I was for the shutdown in 2013.

I made a whopping one post back in October 2013 when the shutdown happened and it wasn't a glowing endorsement of the GOP's shutdown strategy:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/133958-confusing-politics-with-religion/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-1927999

I slammed John Boehner back in October 2013 for the shutdown. That's right, I blamed the GOP Speaker of the House back in 2013 for his lack of leadership and letting the shutdown occur.

Love this.

FWIW Our newly elected Senator was one of the five yes votes among dems. 

51 minutes ago, AUDub said:

FWIW Our newly elected Senator was one of the five yes votes among dems. 

I hope that Jones continues to vote like he wants to get re-elected in 2018. If he does, then he might get his wish!

9 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I hope that Jones continues to vote like he wants to get re-elected in 2018. If he does, then he might get his wish!

He’s in until 2020. Doubt he gets re-elected either way. The situation that got him in was just the perfect storm, though he worked his ass off to get there. 

I believe his vote was largely symbolic, as this allows him to say he voted to keep one of his campaign promises - funding CHIP - even at the expense of the Dem immigration platform. 

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

He’s in until 2020. Doubt he gets re-elected either way. The situation that got him in was just the perfect storm, though he worked his ass off to get there. 

I believe his vote was largely symbolic, as this allows him to say he voted to keep one of his campaign promises - funding CHIP - even at the expense of the Dem immigration platform. 

Yep.  I think Chuck gave the OK to certain Senators in competitive or vulnerable states to vote with the Rs for that very reason knowing he still had enough votes to accomplish what he wanted.

8 hours ago, auburnphan said:

It is always the President's fault when their is a shut down, Donald Trump 2013

If only we could find a way for Trump's supporters to listen to Trump. 

14 hours ago, AUDub said:

Oops! Thanks for correcting me. I agree that his vote was likely symbolic, but I still think it is smart for the dems to "allow" him to at least pretend to represent his constituents.

6 hours ago, AUDub said:

If only we could find a way for Trump's supporters to listen to Trump. 

There are definitely hypocrites everywhere on this!

On 1/19/2018 at 7:16 PM, Auburnfan91 said:

Did I say I was ok with it?  Schumer isn't relevant to me.  Politicians use strong arm tactics sometimes to get what they want.  If anyone is upset about Schumer using it to get what he wants now, I expect them to explain why they weren't equally upset the previous times (plural) that the GOP used the tactic to get what they wanted.  

"Slammed" is a bit strong to describe your reaction.  But I'll acknowledge you weren't exactly happy about it either.  

Archived