Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

14 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Absolutely. I like her style and she has one of the best finishers. 

She can eclipse me anytime. 😁

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

My 2 favorite wrestlers in the 2 marquee matches on the card. As a D Bry super fan this is a dream match long in the making. I hope Lesnar actually GAF for this match and shows he somewhat cares. It could be 1 hell of a match.

Just saw the B-Bry/AJ match. This is just me getting caught up in the story line & characters. Not a fan at all of D-Bry going All-Miz to win the title & match.Would have been excited to see a straight up D-Bry face Brock. Now, as much as I don't like Brock for being a Baby-Back-Witch for not showing up most of the time and do his job to keep the Universal title relevant I want him to mutilate D-Bry. I like Bryan Danielson as a person just not a fan of this story line. In terms of how it stopped stories here's where I wish real life hadn't intervened bringing Leukemia back to Roman Reigns. This D-Bry heel turn would have been great had he been able to face Roman at Survivor Series because of how the fans tuned on & had stayed turned on Roman since for eliminating D-Bry early in the Royal Rumble some years ago. Would have been ironic & very interesting.

Also don't like the heel turn and the way it was done because it's Shinsuke part 2 except D-Bry got the belt.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Just saw the B-Bry/AJ match. This is just me getting caught up in the story line & characters. Not a fan at all of D-Bry going All-Miz to win the title & match.Would have been excited to see a straight up D-Bry face Brock. Now, as much as I don't like Brock for being a Baby-Back-Witch for not showing up most of the time and do his job to keep the Universal title relevant I want him to mutilate D-Bry. I like Bryan Danielson as a person just not a fan of this story line. In terms of how it stopped stories here's where I wish real life hadn't intervened bringing Leukemia back to Roman Reigns. This D-Bry heel turn would have been great had he been able to face Roman at Survivor Series because of how the fans tuned on & had stayed turned on Roman since for eliminating D-Bry early in the Royal Rumble some years ago. Would have been ironic & very interesting.

Also don't like the heel turn and the way it was done because it's Shinsuke part 2 except D-Bry got the belt.

That's some good points.  With Roman, then Nia screwing up the SS match,  the storylines have all been blown to bits.  The solutions have not been well thought out it seems. 

1) Becky Lynch is a goddess

2) I LOVE the Bryan heel turn.  This could turn into Bob Backlund crazy man stuff if done right, which I'm all for.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

i saw this listed and did not believe it could be an actual thing, so i had to see....i'll just back right out the door,  3,2,1 bam

Man I hate this attitude from people so much.  Pro wrestling is a form of entertainment.  No worse than a movie.  I'd argue better because at least you can boo something at a wrestling event and give immediate feedback. 

• Love 2

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

The solutions have not been well thought out it seems. 

WWE STANDS FOR....WRITING WOEFULLY EGREGIOUS!

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This could turn into Bob Backlund crazy man stuff if done right

Wouldn't count on it with the current writing & booking staff.

25 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Man I hate this attitude from people so much.  Pro wrestling is a form of entertainment.  No worse than a movie.  I'd argue better because at least you can boo something at a wrestling event and give immediate feedback. 

Girls have their soap opras, talk shows, & court shows. We have our live-action male soap opras in wrestling. Wrestling is basically a form of a play although much more entertaining.

• Like 1

Heel Dbry is the best and most entertaining D bry. We have seen comedy heel Dbry with team hell no. We have seen chicken sh@t heel Dbry when he won the old wcw belt world heavyweight title and that run. BUT we have never seen the best version of heel D bry which is the american dragon version. The guy who would scream at you I AM GOING TO KICK YOUR f#$%^N face in!!!!!! We saw a small glimpse of that last night when he was knocking styles face in over and over. That is the route I hope they go with Dbrys heel turn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Heel Dbry is the best and most entertaining D bry. We have seen comedy heel Dbry with team hell no. We have seen chicken sh@t heel Dbry when he won the old wcw belt world heavyweight title and that run. BUT we have never seen the best version of heel D bry which is the american dragon version. The guy who would scream at you I AM GOING TO KICK YOUR f#$%^N face in!!!!!! We saw a small glimpse of that last night when he was knocking styles face in over and over. That is the route I hope they go with Dbrys heel turn.

You knew it was coming

IMG_0918.GIF

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

You knew it was coming

IMG_0918.GIF

dbry.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Cool. Looking forward to the last one. Respectfully disagree on the 1st 2. I think he's better as a face from what I've seen through those other 2 heel runs.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:43 AM, ellitor said:

Cool. Looking forward to the last one. Respectfully disagree on the 1st 2. I think he's better as a face from what I've seen through those other 2 heel runs.

His ROH heel persona is very different from his WWE heel runs so far.  If he goes into ROH mode, it'll be sweet.  Very much a "I know I can kick your ass, gonna kick it, but will also do anything to win" kind of character.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Is that Kenny Omega?

SHO IS FAM!!! This was the golden era of ROH. They were loaded. Cm Punk, Omega, Rollins, Jeans Ambrose, Samoa Joe etc were all in it around the same time.

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

SHO IS FAM!!! This was the golden era of ROH. They were loaded. Cm Punk, Omega, Rollins, Jeans Ambrose, Samoa Joe etc were all in it around the same time.

I feel bad for saying this but I never watched ROH. It was never available for me except if I wanted to buy DVD's and stuff which I never did.

I think I caught a couple of episodes of ROH when they were briefly on Destination America, the same as Impact(TNA) at the time. That's pretty much all I've ever seen of ROH. 

I've always heard of ROH and knew a lot of the wrestlers that came from there because Impact(TNA) would usually get guys from there and then WWE started doing it too starting with CM Punk.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I feel bad for saying this but I never watched ROH. It was never available for me except if I wanted to buy DVD's and stuff which I never did.

I think I caught a couple of episodes of ROH when they were briefly on Destination America, the same as Impact(TNA) at the time. That's pretty much all I've ever seen of ROH. 

I've always heard of ROH and knew a lot of the wrestlers that came from there because Impact(TNA) would usually get guys from there and then WWE started doing it too starting with CM Punk.

This time also had Cesaro, Owens, and Zayn.  Just ridiculous talent.  Only problem I ever have with ROH is it can lack in psychology sometimes.  But if you want to see one hell of a feud, find the year long stuff between Kevin Steen and El Generico (aka Owens and Zayn) from around 2009.  HO-LEE CRAP

This isn't meant to knock current wrestling but it's an annoyance I have with wrestling today. I get that today's wrestlers are more athletic and can do more moves in the ring than guys did 20 years ago but the thing that bothers me now are all the false finishes they do now. It seems like in this decade, the 2010's, for whatever reason false finishes have been overused in matches. It's ok to do every once in awhile but it just seems nowadays in every other match, especially title matches, there's about 10 false finishes. 

Maybe it's because I'm older or I just didn't pay as close attention years ago but when I watched matches in the 90's and 2000's, guys didn't just use their finisher more than once except on occasion to win a match. And when they did use their finishing move more than once, it was for a big match or special occasion. I know Stone Cold did the Stunner on the Rock more than once when they faced each other at different WM's. Undertaker Tombstoned Kane 3 times at WM 14 in 1998. He didn't do that all the time or at every WM. Now guys use their finisher like 2-3 times before they'll win a match. And it's like that every week or at every PPV. now.  It gets really old after awhile and it just seems lazy and uncreative imo.

But I'm sure I'm in the minority about that.

Edited by Auburnfan91
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This time also had Cesaro, Owens, and Zayn.  Just ridiculous talent.  Only problem I ever have with ROH is it can lack in psychology sometimes.  But if you want to see one hell of a feud, find the year long stuff between Kevin Steen and El Generico (aka Owens and Zayn) from around 2009.  HO-LEE CRAP

As someone who has been a longtime viewer of TNA, I'll throw out another name who's big in ROH. "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels. I always liked watching his matches in TNA. Him and AJ Styles use to have classics in TNA. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

This isn't meant to knock current wrestling but it's an annoyance I have with wrestling today. I get that today's wrestlers are more athletic and can do more moves in the ring than guys did 20 years ago but the thing that bothers me now are all the false finishes they do now. It seems like in this decade, the 2010's, for whatever reason false finishes have been overused in matches. It's ok to do every once in awhile but it just seems nowadays in every other match, especially title matches, there's about 10 false finishes. 

Maybe it's because I'm older or I just didn't pay as close attention years ago but when I watched matches in the 90's and 2000's, guys didn't just use their finisher more than once except on occasion to win a match. And when they did use their finishing move more than once, it was for a big match or special occasion. I know Stone Cold did the Stunner on the Rock more than once when they faced each other at different WM's. Undertaker Tombstoned Kane 3 times at WM 14 in 1998. He didn't do that all the time or at every WM. Now guys use their finisher like 2-3 times before they'll win a match. And it's like that every week or at every PPV. now.  It gets really old after awhile and it just seems lazy and uncreative imo.

But I'm sure I'm in the minority about that.

I just think matches get so predictable when someone hits their finisher because we are conditioned to think it is over. SO unless you have a quick strike finisher you can hit out of nowhere like a RKO or Diamond Cutter then I get why they do false finished and have a finisher spam for awhile. We have been so conditioned to think a match is over after just 1 finisher is hit. This leads to suspense. Also they want to protect guys as well. Like when Lesnar retained at this past mania. I think he hit at least 4 or 5 F 5's on Reigns before he eventually won.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just think matches get so predictable when someone hits their finisher because we are conditioned to think it is over. SO unless you have a quick strike finisher you can hit out of nowhere like a RKO or Diamond Cutter then I get why they do false finished and have a finisher spam for awhile. We have been so conditioned to think a match is over after just 1 finisher is hit. This leads to suspense. Also they want to protect guys as well. Like when Lesnar retained at this past mania. I think he hit at least 4 or 5 F 5's on Reigns before he eventually won.

Well now it's getting predictable that the first time someone hits their finisher, that their opponent will kick out. When it gets to that point, maybe they should mix it up more and just let one finisher end the match.

Just now, Auburnfan91 said:

Well now it's getting predictable that the first time someone hits their finisher, that their opponent will kick out. When it gets to that point, maybe they should mix it up more and just let one finisher end the match.

In the big matches with 2 big names they do not just want 1 finisher to end the match. They want to protect the person who is losing so it looks like he was SO CLOSE to winning and it took absolutely everything from the dude who ultimately wins.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

In the big matches with 2 big names they do not just want 1 finisher to end the match. They want to protect the person who is losing so it looks like he was SO CLOSE to winning and it took absolutely everything from the dude who ultimately wins.

I know but it didn't use to be like that though. 

And I have to disagree about protecting the loser. Losing means nothing now if you get pushed down to mid-card a few months later. Look at Seth Rollins. He had a run as champion and he's been in the mid-card scene for the past year now. WWE creative aren't good enough to protect guys considering how they book matches. They constantly shuffle guys around and have guys lose matches and then a month later they'll start winning. It's like a damn roller coaster. I don't care if one finisher beats you or 10. It doesn't really hurt you now either way imo.

Roman Reigns lost to the Miz on the 25th anniversary RAW show back in January. Then 2 months later at WM 34 they push Roman back up and have him facing Brock Lesna for the RAW Universal title. Explain how losing to the Miz made Roman look good or built him up to face Lesnar at WM? That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

His ROH heel persona is very different from his WWE heel runs so far.  If he goes into ROH mode, it'll be sweet.  Very much a "I know I can kick your ass, gonna kick it, but will also do anything to win" kind of character.

Yeah I hate I missed ROH from about 2008 though 2015. Sounds like a lot of current WWE Stars did their best work then & there.