The Future of Auburn Basketball

NolaAuTiger

Hey guys, I don't keep up internally with Auburn basketball as much as I should (perhaps because in recent years, I've had no incentive to keep up). What are the ramifications going to be in regards to the FBI deal and how does that play on us down the road? In other words, I'm wondering if this is just a cinderella season, or could this be a new era of Auburn basketball? Thanks. 

I apologize if this is a dumb post. Trolls feel free to troll if it is!

16 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Hey guys, I don't keep up internally with Auburn basketball as much as I should (perhaps because in recent years, I've had no incentive to keep up). What are the ramifications going to be in regards to the FBI deal and how does that play on us down the road? In other words, I'm wondering if this is just a cinderella season, or could this be a new era of Auburn basketball? Thanks. 

Looking at the roster which is very young this season.....for the next two years the future looks pretty good.  

Not too late to get on board with this group......still got a lot of season remaining and should be some good games ahead...they are always exciting...

And just my view, but you might want to avoid letting your loyalty be determined by the W-L record of the teams that AU fields.  

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looking at the roster which is very young this season.....for the next two years the future looks pretty good.  

Not too late to get on board with this group......still got a lot of season remaining and should be some good games ahead...they are always exciting...

And just my view, but you might want to avoid letting your loyalty be determined by the W-L record of the teams that AU fields.  

Will we lose anyone to the draft?

I'm very loyal to anything AU, believe me. I just haven't lived in Auburn in quite some time, and AU basketball was sparsely on TV until recently. I mean Barbee never had a winning season at Auburn, so no I wasn't foaming at the mouth to pay close attention to his AU teams - don't think that makes me not loyal. Fair enough?  

48 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

The near term outlook just took a big hit with the loss of McLemore yesterday. He was our leading rebounder and shot blocker and averaged 8 pts. a game.  Longer term I think we will have a sound team and don't expect us to get anything more than a slap on the wrist from the FBI deal. Wiley and Purifoy, who aren't playing anyhow, will likely try to go pro. Of active players I think the only possibility is Brown.

53 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Will we lose anyone to the draft?

I'm very loyal to anything AU, believe me. I just haven't lived in Auburn in quite some time, and AU basketball was sparsely on TV until recently. I mean Barbee never had a winning season at Auburn, so no I wasn't foaming at the mouth to pay close attention to his AU teams - don't think that makes me not loyal. Fair enough?  

Yep...sorry for use of the word "loyal" which I was using to indicate following the progress of the teams...win or lose. 

As for anyone going pro?  ....doubt we will lose a player before he completes his eligibility.  Should have a good solid team the next few years though we could really use a bit more size.   But, from what I've observed in recent years, teams with a good bunch of juniors and seniors seem to do well.   Every year we see a Butler or Villanova, Xavier or Gonzaga , etc  who make the top 10 and they rarely have a "one and done" or 5* player.   They get by on good coaching and good experienced players and a solid point guard.    Auburn looks to be heading in the same direction right now. 

If Wiley or Purifoy return it’s icing on the cake. Every one else plays out their eligibility. We could be really good for a couple years. 

8 hours ago, alexava said:

If Wiley or Purifoy return it’s icing on the cake. Every one else plays out their eligibility. We could be really good for a couple years. 

True but hard to believe DP will ever be back...and AW maybe.  As for DP, seems to me that the longer this goes, the lower the chance of seeing him back....can't imagine what evidence they would uncover by now that would exonerate him.  

Guess I've totally moved on in terms of DP and AW......and  what our roster looks like the next couple years.      Mostly I would like to see a big meaty guy or two who can play inside with the same energy and enthusiasm as Murray and another pure shooter to follow Brown. . 

16 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

The near term outlook just took a big hit with the loss of McLemore yesterday. He was our leading rebounder and shot blocker and averaged 8 pts. a game.  Longer term I think we will have a sound team and don't expect us to get anything more than a slap on the wrist from the FBI deal. Wiley and Purifoy, who aren't playing anyhow, will likely try to go pro. Of active players I think the only possibility is Brown.

Just to clarify, Murray is our leading rebounder.

With McLemore out this year Spencer, Okeke, Dunbar will get more PT. It will hurt us but this team has strong character and I would not be surprised to see them play harder if possible as a sign of support for their hurt teammate. Ideally we will get a 6'9 to 7' GT for next year. If so need that person to be a rebounding, shot blocking, player who can run the floor and fit this teams up tempo style. Would be nice if could be a scoring presence but that is not required. Even if we don't get a GT we will should have every body back while adding Samir Doughty to the team a 6'4" PG who transferred to Auburn and sat out this year.

I also expect to see Davion Mitchell to show the same type of improvement that Harper showed from year 1 to year 2.  He is already starting to make his presence as a lock down ball defender. That would give us 3 different PG's all with different skill sets. I also expect to see Okeke to be greatly improved from year 1 to year 2. Assuming that the CP issue does not take down Bruce and that the play of this years and next years team helps in Recruiting in the future we have have turned the corner. The recruiting class after next years class will go a long way to letting us know if we have turned the corner. I want us to be a 4 year team, I want very good players similar to what we have on todays Roster as oppossed to one and done players as Bruce has shown that he can develop talent.  The improvement in Brown, Spencer, Harper, McLemore, etc. from year to year has been amazing.  Bryce Brown has improved enough that he may have a slight chance to play at the next level. Nobody could have expected that when he signed with Auburn.

19 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Provided Bruce doesn't have any other issues with the FBI or internal investigation and remains as the HC, I don't think this is a cinderella story. I think Bruce has built a solid foundation and identity for this team. We still have some roster uncertainty to work around. My guess is at least 6 players currently on the roster (including Wiley and Purifoy) will declare for the draft. They will go through workouts and the combine and decide whether or not to come back before signing with an agent. Losing guys to the draft is possible. Wiley seems to be trending that way. Purifoy might not have the option to return. Then, for guys like Heron and Brown and Okeke, it will all depend on their evaluations and draft projections. Right now, I'd expect all three of those guys back, but it's possible Heron leaves too.

Going into next year, we will probably have to add some depth on the transfer and grad transfer market unless we luck into an impact HS kid who could sign in the late period. With Mac's injury, it brings into question how ready and effective he will be by the start of next year. We need to make sure we have at least 11 scholarship players fully healthy and ready to play next year. So, as long as Bruce is around, I fully expect this to be a continuing thing, Auburn and the NCAA Tournament. We just have to navigate a few more roster hurdles until Bruce can finally wipe away the Barbee stain from the program.

Come tourney time if Brown shoots like Steph Curry did with the Davidson run a few years back, I could see teams drafting him.  Being lethal from 3 can go a long way, especially now that Brown has shown more ability to create is own shot with the ball.

Archived