Devan Barrett as WR

thaitopher

7 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

That receiver in the front middle with the long blonde hair looks a lot like a woman. Hope he is not a prototype of the future for our receivers.

That blonde would be KristyMazahn. ?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

That receiver in the front middle with the long blonde hair looks a lot like a woman. Hope he is not a prototype of the future for our receivers.

Ya'll back off my Kristi! She mothers the team so well!

Obviously the coaches are seeing the players everyday and evaluating, but on the surface Devan was the RB with all the tools to be an every down back: Size, speed, blocking, catching, and smarts. It seems a red-shirt would've done him well to bulk up a bit, but he's listed at 6'0, 190lbs. I just don't want to see this talent be buried in the depth chart.

33 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Obviously the coaches are seeing the players everyday and evaluating, but on the surface Devan was the RB with all the tools to be an every down back: Size, speed, blocking, catching, and smarts. It seems a red-shirt would've done him well to bulk up a bit, but he's listed at 6'0, 190lbs. I just don't want to see this talent be buried in the depth chart.

So he's got the build of a prototype WR? ;D

Barrett's move comes in the wake of ACL injuries to receivers Will Hastings and Eli Stove. According to the report, Barrett will fill the void left by Stove in Auburn's speed-sweep formations. Freshman quarterback Joey Gatewood also saw time at receiver in practice, Marcello added.

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2018/04/report-rb-devan-barrett-moving-to-wide-receiver

"Freshman quarterback Joey Gatewood also saw time at receiver in practice, Marcello added."

Jeff is really gonna love that decision. Why not just put him at TE if they are going to use him at WR????? 

His HS tape always reminded me of Quan Bray.  He's got playmaking ability and needs to get on the field in some capacity.  Hopefully it works out quickly, otherwise I see a summer transfer.

8 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

"Freshman quarterback Joey Gatewood also saw time at receiver in practice, Marcello added."

Jeff is really gonna love that decision. Why not just put him at TE if they are going to use him at WR????? 

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

:-\

Yeah. That caught my eye, too. 

Unless I'm missing something, we have 3 QBs on scholarship. One of them missed spring, another is a sophomore who's never started, and the third is a true freshman... catching passes? Like, even for a second?

Injuries happen and usually aren't anyone's fault, and I've been supportive of the Iggy and Devan moves, but this has me on a ledge until someone talks me off of it. 

18 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Jeff is really gonna love that decision.

Yeah I don’t understand that at all. We can’t be THAT shorthanded at WR. 

He, JG, being lined up at wr during media viewing shouldn’t be taken to mean a whole lot! imho Makes some great forum fodder though!

JG lining up at WR may just be to get him exposure for some variations of wildcat formations, not panicking, yet...

Just now, Tiger said:

YOU LINT LICKER!!!!

I love that commercial. LOVE it. 

(Loved your post, too, but I guess I've loved too many over the last 24 hrs...)

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

"Dreaded sweep guy"? I feel like that position has been huge for us the last 9 years. 

Regardless, Barrett has 10 college catches, which makes him our 4th most productive returning pass catcher now that Hastings and Stove are out (huge part of the equation I'd wager).

And 3 of those 4 new guys are still in high school, so it's possible that Barrett can make (more of) a statement before they arrive.

Coming from RB, he might provide superior blocking compared to several other receivers and we know Gus and Kodi love that.

He only got 16 carries last season and we were really thin at running back then. Seems like it wasn't happening for him there. But, as several folks said about Iggy, if bodies start dropping again then it should not be too difficult for him to slide back over.

Win win from my perspective.

And if it isn't, and he does transfer, then my takeaway- as @Auctoritas alluded to- will be that we have some nice weapons who held him off.

It's the position someone seems to move to. That's what dreaded sweep meant

Just now, McLoofus said:

I love that commercial. LOVE it. 

(Loved your post, too, but I guess I've loved too many over the last 24 hrs...)

Dude, no lie it's one of the funniest commercials of all time!

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

He, JG, being lined up at wr during media viewing shouldn’t be taken to mean a whole lot! imho Makes some great forum fodder though!

All these injuries, making us all nervous lol.

Archived