Commission on College Basketball - Report

AU64

www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/national-business/article209775864.html

Quite a few major changes being proposed......do away with "one and done", stronger penalties on cheating, tighter rules for AAU and apparel company involvement and a number of other things.  

Proposals on "one and done' are interesting....gonna do away with it one way or the other, including possibility of freshmen not being eligible if NBA won't change it's recruiting rules.. Commission is hoping that HS players could immediately be eligible for the NBA draft and not lost college standing if they do not get drafted. 

Some things seem impractical and some draconian but things are going to change it looks like. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/commission-college-basketball-recommends-sweeping-reform-125257033.html

• AU64 changed the title to Commission on College Basketball - Report

Yahoo with it's own take on the report.....very critical but has been lobbying for paying players for quite some time.....and never seems to address how to pay the thousands of other NCAA players who theoretically should/would have the same rights. 

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yahoo with it's own take on the report.....very critical but has been lobbying for paying players for quite some time.....and never seems to address how to pay the thousands of other NCAA players who theoretically should/would have the same rights. 

The commission spent about 6 months trying to come up with recommendations and they only came up with a list that an average joe could write up in six minutes. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

The commission spent about 6 months trying to come up with recommendations and they only came up with a list that an average joe could write up in six minutes. 

Maybe...did you read the entire report ?    It is controversial and who knows how much will get accepted ?   The Yahoo idiot represents the thinking of lots of people and is very negative.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe...did you read the entire report ?    It is controversial and who knows how much will get accepted ?   The Yahoo idiot represents the thinking of lots of people and is very negative.

I read the bullet point proposals. 

Woj on ESPN says if the one and done rule is abolished, it wouldn’t happen until well after 2020.

59 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I read the bullet point proposals. 

Woj on ESPN says if the one and done rule is abolished, it wouldn’t happen until well after 2020.

That' probably true....they want the NBA to make a move first.....change their rules and maybe develop the G league.....and give players time to adjust to the change....but the scary thing is.....2020 is not that far away...:angry:

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That' probably true....they want the NBA to make a move first.....change their rules and maybe develop the G league.....and give players time to adjust to the change....but the scary thing is.....2020 is not that far away...:angry:

Trying to form the G league into a successful minor league system is kinda overboard imo. Let the undrafted players return to college and all is well. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Agree

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Trying to form the G league into a successful minor league system is kinda overboard imo. Let the undrafted players return to college and all is well. 

There are indications the NBA is moving that direction.....projecting 30 teams...one per NBA team and maybe a 10 to a dozen players per team and salary $35K ..plus expenses and maybe $50K in a year or so.   The undrafted player thing will probably go through as long as they don't sign but that's a minor thing...big issue is the killing off of "one and done".    Maybe NBA will draft beyond 2 rounds and use some of the drafts slots to populate their G League teams?  

NCAA is going to take away the one year "audition" and force NBA to do their own development and not have Cal and Coach K doing the assessment and development for them....JMO   

On 4/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, AU64 said:

www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/national-business/article209775864.html

Quite a few major changes being proposed......do away with "one and done", stronger penalties on cheating, tighter rules for AAU and apparel company involvement and a number of other things.  

Proposals on "one and done' are interesting....gonna do away with it one way or the other, including possibility of freshmen not being eligible if NBA won't change it's recruiting rules.. Commission is hoping that HS players could immediately be eligible for the NBA draft and not lost college standing if they do not get drafted. 

Some things seem impractical and some draconian but things are going to change it looks like. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/commission-college-basketball-recommends-sweeping-reform-125257033.html

Good - basketball recruiting has been a filthy cess pool far too long.  The AAU should be abolished and apparel companies denied involvement with HS players altogether.  A HC that participates or allows his staff to participate in the AAU circuit should feel the wrath real quick because all they do is funnel $$ & goods through AAU.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

Good - basketball recruiting has been a filthy cess pool far too long.  The AAU should be abolished and apparel companies denied involvement with HS players altogether.  A HC that participates or allows his staff to participate in the AAU circuit should feel the wrath real quick because all they do is funnel $$ & goods through AAU.

NC State the most recent with AAU slime on them and their coach.

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

NC State the most recent with AAU slime on them and their coach.

Yep, and I'd love for the NCAA to use some HC as a example to scare the hell out of everyone involved. 

When an "uncle" acts as an agent and basically pimps out a HS player in the parking lot of an AAU tournament, and refuses to grant access to the player by a D1 program then something's got to be done, NOW.  When momma stands in the door way of a gym where AAU games are played and brags at how much $$ & new shoes she pulled that day 'cause my baby is "showcasing" for the scouts, then that crap has to end.

On 4/30/2018 at 5:15 PM, keesler said:

Yep, and I'd love for the NCAA to use some HC as a example to scare the hell out of everyone involved. 

When an "uncle" acts as an agent and basically pimps out a HS player in the parking lot of an AAU tournament, and refuses to grant access to the player by a D1 program then something's got to be done, NOW.  When momma stands in the door way of a gym where AAU games are played and brags at how much $$ & new shoes she pulled that day 'cause my baby is "showcasing" for the scouts, then that crap has to end.

I would agree but once those cases are documented with the "uncle" and moma then you could also ban that player from playing D1 for a couple of years.  If you want to fix it you have to come at it from both ends.  After a few examples then that would help clean it up.  Especially if "showcasing" doesn't make the draft of G league.  People with their hand out will stop putting them out and if not then they get passed over.

• 5 weeks later...

one way to kill the aau circuit ... i'm not saying this is the right thing, but the ncaa can set its own rules ... make kids who play on aau teams ineligible for college basketball.  also, i like the idea of letting undrafted players come back to college.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard updates or any movement on the Commissions recommendations?

I'm curious if this thing has any teeth and if real reform will happen.

19 hours ago, keesler said:

Has anyone heard updates or any movement on the Commissions recommendations?

I'm curious if this thing has any teeth and if real reform will happen.

If you look at what has followed....seems the PTBs in NCAA and NBA probably thanked those who participated and put the report on the shelf with similar studies done over the years.     NBA is a key facto in making the changes and I'm guessing that they see no reason to change the way they operate.    And sometime out in the future, some of the issues might show up on the agenda for an annual NCAA meeting and the lethargic body will consider the recommendations for further study.   

Everyone is making lots of money, the arenas are full of people....so why tinker with "success".  

Why can't the baseball draft rules apply to basketball?   HS kids are eligible for the draft, but if they go the college route, they are not draft eligible until after their junior year or 3rd year out of HS.  

I definitely agree that undrafted players should be able to return to college as long as they have not signed with an agent.  This should also apply to football. 

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Why can't the baseball draft rules apply to basketball?   HS kids are eligible for the draft, but if they go the college route, they are not draft eligible until after their junior year or 3rd year out of HS.  

I definitely agree that undrafted players should be able to return to college as long as they have not signed with an agent.  This should also apply to football. 

NBA has decided when a young man is eligible to play in their league....so everything else pretty much revolves around the factor that a player can no longer go directly from HS to the NBA.  

Have not heard that NBA or the players association has any interest in changing that rule. ...and see no reason why they would.  Right now they have the benefit of seeing which HS phenom is really an NBA prospect when he is playing against equal or better talent …..in college.

The ncaa can make playing AAU ball ineligible for college play.    I think you take care of a couple things ... the slimbucket that is the AAU world and also kids would need a couple years within a college system to become good enough to be draft-able.  I guess high school could theoretically fill the AAU void but it wasn’t before.  

20 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

The ncaa can make playing AAU ball ineligible for college play.    I think you take care of a couple things ... the slimbucket that is the AAU world and also kids would need a couple years within a college system to become good enough to be draft-able.  I guess high school could theoretically fill the AAU void but it wasn’t before.  

I am no fan of the AAU for certain....but like travel baseball, softball or soccer, it allows special athletes the chance to develop against better talent than they are likely to find in their own HS leagues.   

NCAA could effectively kill AAU by that kind of rule though I expect some other system that skirted the prohibitions would replace it.   What it offers for outstanding prospects is worthwhile....it's just that too many scuzzy characters seem to be associated with it....which unfortunately seems to include execs in 3 piece suits who work for the apparel companies.  

Archived