Best Auburn Sports Weekend Ever!

My daughter, Meg, and I attended the Auburn-Arkansas softball series.  Meg is my 22-year old daughter who has a genetic condition that presents like high-functioning Down Syndrome patients.  A few years ago, I caught the softball bug.  She noticed  what I was watching and joined me watching the regionals and super regionals.  

For the last two years, Meg has been A FAN, and so have I.  We drove over to Clearwater, FL to see Kaylee Carlson pitch a perfect game against Ohio State.  This year, we set our sites on the Arkansas series.  We stayed with my sister in Marietta and drove down for the games.  The rain forcing a Saturday double-header saved four hours of driving and was great!

Getting to the game was much more pleasant than for football.  There were shuttle golf-carts that were very welcoming for Meg, who has hip joint issues.  The drivers were probably Auburn students.  I can confirm that they were WONDERFUL, extending un-self-conscious hospitality.   

Jane B. Moore Field is a lovely venue!  Meg and I instantly felt at home.  The scale of everything was approachable and personal.  

During the break of the Saturday double-header, I was able to pick up box seat tickets for the second game, which is really helpful with my old hips.  

I remember attending a few baseball games in 1976.  The atmosphere here was similar.  The crowd ragged on the opponents, but only in a friendly way.  Everyone was displaying friendship and hospitality... and a love for our Auburn ladies, who dug deep to win the series.

I got to shake Philip Marshall's hand.  I have been reading his columns for about 30 years and agree with and admire his principles.  

The autograph sessions were wonderful.  Meg was able to get pictures with all of her favorite players.  Alyssa Rivera, who went to Meg's Lake Region High School was WONDERFUL.  That being said, Kaylee, Makala, K. K., Kendal, Tannon, Taylon, Courtney, Victoria, Morgan, Justus, and the others were not to be outdone in hospitality to two rapt fans.  I have pictures with all of them hugging Meg.  The announcer said the sessions would be "approximately ten minutes," but the players were there for the duration.  As long as fans wanted to meet them, they were not leaving.

If Meg wasn't with me, it would have been one of my best Auburn sports experiences.  With Meg, it was my best Auburn Sports weekend EVER.  I thank all the players and Coach Dean.  Meg and I are already plotting our return.  Bless you all and we will be watching!  Beat Aggies!

War Eagle!  

Bob Sammons

Class of '76

Winter Haven, Florida 

@'76 Tigerthank you for sharing your story. Nice to hear how hospitable the entire trip was. I love this team and these players and glad they proved what I already thought of them. 

Thank you for posting about your very special weekend. I and so happy your daughter had such a great time. This town, the people, this school, is a special place and that is why, when I retired we moved here to raise our children. 

Thanks for posting your softball adventure story '76Tiger.  Sometimes there is nothing like attending a game in person and this one had a special meaning for you and your daughter.  The next TV game you watch I'll bet you will have a unique feeling about all the players you got to meet.  

Archived