National Championships

auburn4ever

If anything we should claim 1983 and 2004. Only reason we didn't get a shot was due to a popularity contest (Miami, USC, Okla). No reason not to add 1913 as well. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Tiger96 said:

If anything we should claim 1983 and 2004. Only reason we didn't get a shot was due to a popularity contest (Miami, USC, Okla). No reason not to add 1913 as well. 

1983 is without a doubt the one we should claim. We went into the bowls ranked #3 and won. Numbers 1 and 2 lost, and number 5 leapfrogged us. And we played a monster of a schedule that year. 2004 has its own sting. Prior to that, the discussion was always that there was no way an SEC team would go undefeated and not play for a natty. That of course, was before AU went undefeated. What makes that one worse, is LSU won a title with 2 losses just a few years later. Absurd. What say we win one outright in 2018? WDE!

14 hours ago, JWShewmake said:

most of us felt that claiming the championships rather than winning them on the field would be contrary to the Auburn Creed

Except they *were* won on the field. It was off the field where it was decided by human opinion that they had not been earned. 

On 5/17/2018 at 2:39 PM, McLoofus said:

Again, I agree with the OP, but Scott Frost had a hell of a response to saban's whining about UCF claiming a title. He basically said that bama claims some titles that nobody else recognizes, too. 

I think UCF has a way better argument than the majority of Bama claims. Hell, last year they shouldn't have even been in the playoffs. Didn't win their division or conference.

17 hours ago, Tiger96 said:

2004 is ours I'm convinced. We were cheated in the first place and now it's essentially forfeited by U$C

1993 won the national championship too. Remember we were on probation in 1957 and yet, we were named national champs that year. So why not claim the 1993 team?

what is the big hang up with us not counting all 9 or more titles? Was this a Jacob issue?  I wish AD Greene would jump on the bandwagon make this legit. We won them then why not claim them?  What are the chances this could be revisited and made right?

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

what is the big hang up with us not counting all 9 or more titles? Was this a Jacob issue?  I wish AD Greene would jump on the bandwagon make this legit. We won them then why not claim them?  What are the chances this could be revisited and made right?

Agree but there is obviously a group who is so adamant about not claiming the titles in question because it would make Auburn like UAT in that sense. It's basically cutting off your nose to spite your face. Auburn should claim any additional titles because it's the right thing to do for the players that won them, no other reason. Seems  simple enough or so one might think. We have become obsessed about not appearing obsessed. 

On 5/26/2018 at 10:35 PM, gr82be said:

Agree but there is obviously a group who is so adamant about not claiming the titles in question because it would make Auburn like UAT in that sense. It's basically cutting off your nose to spite your face. Auburn should claim any additional titles because it's the right thing to do for the players that won them, no other reason. Seems  simple enough or so one might think. We have become obsessed about not appearing obsessed. 

I think the vast majority of Auburn fans would be happy if we claimed what is honestly ours. Will this happen? Who knows.............

On 5/26/2018 at 6:15 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

At least count the one in 2004. SOMEONE has to count the one in 2004. And it cant be USC or the team that lost by 40 

Even with the usc NCAA bust. This would still feel like a UCF type claim to me. Just an opinion 

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think the vast majority of Auburn fans would be happy if we claimed what is honestly ours. Will this happen? Who knows.............

This . If it’s legit . Claim it. If not move on . I believe there is a few that should be claimed . 

most recent should be 1983 & 2004 without a doubt. 1983 was the biggest rip off NC of all IMHO. How that happened is/was mind blowing at a minimum.

I say "yes" to 1983 because of this:

On 5/23/2018 at 7:26 AM, Gowebb11 said:

1983 is without a doubt the one we should claim. We went into the bowls ranked #3 and won. Numbers 1 and 2 lost, and number 5 leapfrogged us. 

I say "no" to 1993 & 2004 because of this:

11 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Even with the usc NCAA bust. This would still feel like a UCF type claim to me. Just an opinion 

I just don't like these "after the fact" subjective claims to an already subjective poll system.  It's like kids playing "what if"... 

And for those claiming it helps recruiting  (this will sound a bit negative but I don't really mean it to be....just honest opinion), 99% of today's recruits probably couldn't tell you who Pat Dye or Shug Jordan of even bear Bryant was.  Nick Saban's dubious Natty's or AU's 2010 Natty mean a whole helluva lot more to recruits today than the 1914 title presented by Cracker Jack's.... 

Again, just one man's opinion.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I say "yes" to 1983 because of this:

I say "no" to 1993 & 2004 because of this:

I just don't like these "after the fact" subjective claims to an already subjective poll system.  It's like kids playing "what if"... 

And for those claiming it helps recruiting  (this will sound a bit negative but I don't really mean it to be....just honest opinion), 99% of today's recruits probably couldn't tell you who Pat Dye or Shug Jordan of even bear Bryant was.  Nick Saban's dubious Natty's or AU's 2010 Natty mean a whole helluva lot more to recruits today than the 1914 title presented by Cracker Jack's.... 

Again, just one man's opinion.

If it isn't THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP do not claim them. If it isn't AP UPI BCS or Current Title let bammer run around lying every breath.

1 minute ago, wde1968 said:

If it isn't THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP do not claim them. If it isn't AP UPI BCS or Current Title let bammer run around lying every breath.

Personally.... I don't disagree with you.

Like I said, I don't mind '83, because that was a clear shaft job, but even that ain't "legit" because it ain't "official".

On 5/17/2018 at 3:52 PM, Tiger said:

From what I can tell the national media tells the masses Bama has 17 championships by parading that Bama helmet with #17 on it whenever they bring their logo up. They update that each time they win one. The casual fan has no idea if they're legitimate or not they just eat it up and consider it to be fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Bama claim titles in years that they didn't even win their bowl game???? I think you're right though. Laughing at them is the best thing to do. Also, what sports talk are you listening to that makes fun of their title claims? I WANT IN!!!

1964 awarded the National Title before the bowl game.  Lost to Texas in the bowl and Arkansas was awarded the National Title.  Bama still claims it.

1973 awarded the National Title before the bowl game.  Lost to ND in the bowl and ND was awarded the National Title.  Bama still claims it.

The bad part is even if you take away the ridiculous ones they still have a very impressive list.

16 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

1964 awarded the National Title before the bowl game.  Lost to Texas in the bowl and Arkansas was awarded the National Title.  Bama still claims it.

1973 awarded the National Title before the bowl game.  Lost to ND in the bowl and ND was awarded the National Title.  Bama still claims it.

The bad part is even if you take away the ridiculous ones they still have a very impressive list.

So many times, this. 

On 5/26/2018 at 6:15 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

At least count the one in 2004. SOMEONE has to count the one in 2004. And it cant be USC or the team that lost by 40 

See, my question here is “Why?”

Why does anyone or any one have to count 2004, or any year? To my limited understanding, the NCAA has never defined, regulated, or recognized a National Champion in big-time (FBS, and historical analogs) college football. To my mind, UCF and UA had equal rights to claim last year (as is the case, for that matter, for AU, or Arky, or…), but neither is definitively acknowledged.

In my opinion, any team claiming a National Championship should append, to their claim, the basis of the claim (AP poll, BCS, state legislative fiat, local newspaper or alumni ass’n…) so that readers of those claims can form their own opinions as to the legitimacy of such.

It is my preference that AU focus more on achieving more, easily defensible claims than to focus on retroactively searching history for teams that we might now, in afterthought, consider worthy.

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Personally.... I don't disagree with you.

Like I said, I don't mind '83, because that was a clear shaft job, but even that ain't "legit" because it ain't "official".

Also, '83 Auburn :

* was the highest ranked team to win their bowl game 

* had more selectors vote AU #1 in the AP poll than any other team

* had more post season poll NCs with 19 including the NY Times than any other team, Miami had 14, Nebraska had 13

52 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Also, '83 Auburn :

* was the highest ranked team to win their bowl game 

* had more selectors vote AU #1 in the AP poll than any other team

* had more post season poll NCs with 19 including the NY Times than any other team, Miami had 14, Nebraska had 13

I agree, Auburn was jobbed.  Unfortunately "Cinderella" Miami (remember, they were the little team that could back then...before all the swagger) won an epic battle over the mighty Huskers with Rozier, Fryer and Gill in dramatic fashion while Auburn squeaked out an ugly win with nothing but FG's to a good, but not sexy, Michigan team.  It was a beauty contest and Auburn's glamour (Bo and Little Train) didn't really show out that night.

By all means point to the NY Times poll but unfortunately the reality is and was, if it wasn't AP or Coaches, nobody paid any attention.  Then....or now.

After reading our football history, I'm sure Allen Greene would see that we should start claiming these other lagit national championships to go along with the ones that JJ would only claim for the 1957 and 2010 seasons. They are --> 1900, 1904, 1908, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1932, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010.

On 5/17/2018 at 3:12 PM, McLoofus said:

I used to have discussions with buddies about this subject.  I ran across an Alabama Media Guide from 1983 about 10 years ago and snapped this picture.  This was the year before they started claiming all the additional titles.  This picture just makes me smile!!

Alabama Nat Champ 1983.jpg

Archived