Top Ten Happiest & Unhappiest States...

DKW 86

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

We're moving there partly to get closer to Vanderbilt.  Their medical center is the top research place for my wife's health condition.

West End is my favorite part of Nashville. We go to Nashville fairly frequently, and if we’re staying the night we stay in that part of town. 

I love Nashville, but they absolutely did not expect the booming population. You’ll figure that out if you drive around town long enough. All the streets are too skinny, so there’s a lot of congestion and a lot of lights without left turn lanes. 

I definitely like it better than Memphis, which is where I’m living currently(well, a suburb). Chattanooga is my favorite city in the state, I regret moving from there. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

West End is my favorite part of Nashville. We go to Nashville fairly frequently, and if we’re staying the night we stay in that part of town. 

I love Nashville, but they absolutely did not expect the booming population. You’ll figure that out if you drive around town long enough. All the streets are too skinny, so there’s a lot of congestion and a lot of lights without left turn lanes. 

I definitely like it better than Memphis, which is where I’m living currently(well, a suburb). Chattanooga is my favorite city in the state, I regret moving from there. 

Austin is the same way, but with a bigger population.  Traffic here is horrendous.  The good thing is that I work from home and we're planning on buying a house in the burbs, so hopefully won't have to deal with it too much.  Still only about 20 minutes from the city though.

Agree on West End.  I love Midtown too, although it's essentially West End.  A great brewery there (Tailgate), the best mixologist place I've ever been to (Patterson House), and some killer restaurants.  Hidden spots for music in there too.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

We're moving there partly to get closer to Vanderbilt.  Their medical center is the top research place for my wife's health condition.

Brentwood is nice?

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep....and though growing up in Alabama and Mississippi....I've lived in North Carolina most of my life now. And while I miss the gulf coast, I stayed up here after retirement because of my children and grand children and am happy with my choice.   But most years I go home (still consider that home down there) and I see some family and old HS friends who just love the coast and my best HS friend indeed has his F150 and boat on a trailer in his yard....and is happy as can be.      He's an MSU grad and worked at Ingalls Shipbuilding in IT for 40 years.....and loves the crappy town we both lived in our final HS days. ....as they say...there is  no accounting for taste....:)  

Worked in Moss Point/Pascagoula area for years......great people......Moss Point has changed since closing of IP.

I personally love my community that primarily consits of Minnesota snowbirds and Stennis retirees.

Not real crazy about our hot humid weather.

36 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Worked in Moss Point/Pascagoula area for years......great people......Moss Point has changed since closing of IP.

I personally love my community that primarily consits of Minnesota snowbirds and Stennis retirees.

Not real crazy about our hot humid weather.

Yep...everyone must be missing the mixture of sulfur marsh gas and paper mill exhaust :)    I would not move back ever...my friend loves the area and would  never leave... nice that both of us can be happy with our choices.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Austin is the same way, but with a bigger population.  Traffic here is horrendous.  The good thing is that I work from home and we're planning on buying a house in the burbs, so hopefully won't have to deal with it too much.  Still only about 20 minutes from the city though.

Agree on West End.  I love Midtown too, although it's essentially West End.  A great brewery there (Tailgate), the best mixologist place I've ever been to (Patterson House), and some killer restaurants.  Hidden spots for music in there too.

Two more breweries to check out: Bearded Iris and Southern Grist. 

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Traffic here is horrendous.  

It's ridiculous. I honestly think it's the worst I've ever had to experience and I drive in/through Houston all the time.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I do take issue with this: " most of our citizens wouldnt live anywhere else because they dont know any better. ". Almost everybody travels, they do know better. I was born and raised in Miami, 3rd generation there. No way would I go back. I lived four years in Panama City, Fl. Have traveled and spent considerable time in many other states. I'm in Alabama by choice, and it's a fully informed choice.

Heading 90 miles south of Miami on Thursday. Can you guess?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

It's ridiculous. I honestly think it's the worst I've ever had to experience and I drive in/through Houston all the time.

35 between Round Rock and San Marcos is basically 40 mile parking lot on weekdays.

35 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

35 between Round Rock and San Marcos is basically 40 mile parking lot on weekdays.

100% Truth!

I'm not sure which is worse, southbound 35 at airport to slaughter or 6th to oltorf.

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

This time of year I recommend only night fishing, and bring plenty of Deet. Daylight hours are best spent in one of the many cool, dark bars that are plentiful in the area. Even Miami natives used to avoid the lower keys in the warm months. "It's hot as hell down there" was commonly heard and air conditioning was not yet in full operation. I have numerous relatives that have infested the Keys since before the United States of America was a nation. They sort of drifted back and forth between the Keys and Bahamas. We normally only went to see them in the cooler months.

In any case, have fun. There's plenty of fun to be had there, even in the summer.

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

If you are a sportsman, outdoorsman or otherwise a lover of nature, Alabama is fantastic.   The biological and ecological diversity is immense, almost uniquely so. (Alabama has four separate river systems resulting in one of the highest - if not the highest - number of turtle species in the world.  Herpetologists all over the world know about Alabama.)    

I hope they keep it.

The turtles are why I don’t leave! 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep...everyone must be missing the mixture of sulfur marsh gas and paper mill exhaust :)    I would not move back ever...my friend loves the area and would  never leave... nice that both of us can be happy with our choices.

lmao.......you can still smell the pogey plant........meant suffering economy.....No I would not live in Moss Point...However, dont think I would leave Diamondhead, nice and quiet.....can open sliding glass door walk to the fairway.....kids have Catholic school.....whats not too love?

And just to note that the poll did not ask people whether they were unhappy or unhappy rated on some scale of 1-10 as best I can tell.   They asked about such things as smokers, obesity, average longevity ...things they characterized as "well being".....and then made the interpretation that people were happy or unhappy based on the scores. ....mainly assuming the more vices you participated in, the less happy you were. ...could be true but not sure about that.   

The pollsters would never accept that famous comment about going through life " fat, drunk and stupid" from my favorite movie....and I have known a number of seemingly happy people over the years who meet that description......many of them being bama fans I think.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Our primary work facility recently moved from Fisher and West little York to the East side and Clinton Drive, near Lockwood.  Business trips for me are so much better since I can dodge most of Houston.  Also gives me better Hotels on company money Downtown ?

Seriously hope I don't have to relocate there.  Like my little office in Lafayette (actually Broussard). 

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Try Los Angeles or SF sometime. Seriously......don't.

I have driven in L.A. multiple times.  Austin, especially downtown, is just as bad during rush hours.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I have driven in L.A. multiple times.  Austin, especially downtown, is just as bad during rush hours.

I think maybe it's proportional...>Charlotte for example, with it's one way streets is as constipated as any larger city ....except on a smaller scale.....but you still can take a couple light changes to advance though some of the intersections in town since it is mostly  "surface streets" and still has traffic lights every couple hundred yards.  

I love my little town where 6 or 7 cars backed up at one of our 3 traffic lights is considered a traffic jam. ....and Charlotte and Atlanta scare me to death these days...

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

This time of year I recommend only night fishing, and bring plenty of Deet. Daylight hours are best spent in one of the many cool, dark bars that are plentiful in the area. Even Miami natives used to avoid the lower keys in the warm months. "It's hot as hell down there" was commonly heard and air conditioning was not yet in full operation. I have numerous relatives that have infested the Keys since before the United States of America was a nation. They sort of drifted back and forth between the Keys and Bahamas. We normally only went to see them in the cooler months.

In any case, have fun. There's plenty of fun to be had there, even in the summer.

I’m heading to Lyford Cay. New Providence Island in Bahamas. 

Have fun but watch out for cars?

You'll like it there too!. I had in my possession a notebook made by one of my ancestors, describing various aspects of several Bahama islands, said information for use by the English crown. Quality of fishing, insect problems, existence of a deep harbor and availability of fresh water were key elements. I handed it over to a historian who was supposed to donate it to a South Forida museum. I suppose that's where it is today, though I've never followed up on it.

Happy travels!

9 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Worked in Freeport for a while you'll be find anywhere in the Bahamas as long as its not Nassua

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

You'll like it there too!. I had in my possession a notebook made by one of my ancestors, describing various aspects of several Bahama islands, said information for use by the English crown. Quality of fishing, insect problems, existence of a deep harbor and availability of fresh water were key elements. I handed it over to a historian who was supposed to donate it to a South Forida museum. I suppose that's where it is today, though I've never followed up on it.

Happy travels!

That would be interesting reading. 

I was reading sometime back that maps with harbors and passes ....and diaries like the one you had were considered "state secret" back in the 1600s and 1700s.....and were carefully guarded.  It was almost considered treason to let them fall into hands of another country.

Now you want to invade a country, you go to Google Earth and find out the best routes and where the important stuff is located. 

29 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

drive on the wrong side of the road

lmao our taxi driver only stopped when tapping bumper of vehicle in front of us

Archived