Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

23 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Still one of my favorite styles. OB Scotch Ale is probably my favorite.

It’s been a very long time, but Backwoods Bastard from Founders was always solid. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It’s been a very long time, but Backwoods Bastard from Founders was always solid. 

Got dangit, how could I forget. I change my answer. I loved the BBA version of that as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Still is.

I'm ashamed that I used to hop on it every year when it was seasonal and now it's year-round and I almost never get it. 

Also a scotch ale fan. Drafty Kilt from Monday Night in ATL was a staple for me for years. 

20 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It’s about to go down.

4BE0BF82-8466-42B9-8914-BE791C097543.jpeg

F6B8B142-25C6-47A5-97BF-C24CE87D81B1.jpeg

Super troopers mother of god dot effin gif! Hot damn

Did the orange go in the boil?

• Love 1

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Super troopers mother of god dot effin gif! Hot damn

Did the orange go in the boil?

Yes, the orange took a hot bath. Along with the onion, garlic, lemon, 3 lbs of Louisiana seasoning, 8 oz of liquid Louisiana seasoning, two sticks of butter, 32 lbs of crawfish(in two batches) and some ice to settle into a 30 minute soak.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yes, the orange took a hot bath. Along with the onion, garlic, lemon, 3 lbs of Louisiana seasoning, 8 oz of liquid Louisiana seasoning, two sticks of butter, 32 lbs of crawfish(in two batches) and some ice to settle into a 30 minute soak.

Never would've thought to add an orange. I might try that with a shrimp boil.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Btw, I left out the most important question. What kind of beer did you have with the ditch lobster??

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Btw, I left out the most important question. What kind of beer did you have with the ditch lobster??

Commotion, out of the can.

I vacuum sealed three pound of tails yesterday after making crawfish enchiladas last night. God I love leftover crawfish.

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

Commotion, out of the can.

I vacuum sealed three pound of tails yesterday after making crawfish enchiladas last night. God I love leftover crawfish.

1. Of course you did. Man, you guys are all so much cooler than me.

2. It is sooooo gratifying to do a big job like that and then have your own prepared leftovers in the freezer. Do you use a recipe for the enchiladas or is it your own thing? We've got a pound of tails in the freezer from Best Stop and enchiladas is one of the things I'm thinking about using them for. Enchiladas and pasta with cream sauce seem like the most popular recipes I find online. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a pie but I'm worried that I wouldn't make it good enough to justify the effort and expense, if that makes any sense. Enchiladas or pasta... I'm confident I can do those just fine. 

• Love 1

No pics unfortunately but got a Sierra Nevada sampler that included their Dankful IPA. Not sure if it gets/will get/ever got full distro, but I would love for it to become a regular fixture alongside Pale Ale, Torpedo and Hop Bullet. Very much a West Coast IPA but shares some of the DNA that sets Heady and Second Fiddle apart from the super sweet NEIPA style that currently dominates the market. It's that oniony dankness laid on top of a more dry, bitter West Coast beer. Still not bone dry, though. Decently creamy mouthfeel and balanced malt presence. 7.4%, I think. 

The best NEIPA brewed locally is Damn Yankee from Southern Barrel. I might have to sneak one of those into any future trades. I wasn't overly impressed with it when we first moved down here almost 4 (gulp) years ago but either my tastes have changed or they've really dialed it in. I think the reason I like it is because I only get it when we're out for dinner somewhere and it is really food friendly for a NEIPA and absolutely crushable in this swamp ass climate. Anyway, had a couple of those while trying out a new pizza place the other night and really, really enjoyed them. 

PS- We've got a sneaky good pizza scene down here, especially if you include Savannah. I can get a decent version of just about any style except for Chicago deep dish. 

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1. Of course you did. Man, you guys are all so much cooler than me.

2. It is sooooo gratifying to do a big job like that and then have your own prepared leftovers in the freezer. Do you use a recipe for the enchiladas or is it your own thing? We've got a pound of tails in the freezer from Best Stop and enchiladas is one of the things I'm thinking about using them for. Enchiladas and pasta with cream sauce seem like the most popular recipes I find online. I wouldn't be opposed to doing a pie but I'm worried that I wouldn't make it good enough to justify the effort and expense, if that makes any sense. Enchiladas or pasta... I'm confident I can do those just fine. 

Those are my two go to dishes with crawfish tails. I used Paul Prudhomme’s enchilada recipe...glorious!

I use a recipe a friend gave me for crawfish pasta. The original recipe was Guliano’s Crawfish Pasta recipe. Creamy. Flavorful. Crawfish.

*eta- I learned to leave the Tabasco out of the roux making process until it had reached the desired color/doneness. The hot sauce changes the color of the roux if added early and it’s impossible(for me anyway) to tell how done it really is.

9C7CE902-D032-4BEE-9EBF-C54C41018B1A.jpeg

1F5A220A-28A1-42E3-8578-F24D2371EF95.jpeg

32195D89-463B-41FF-A793-B49382143A62.jpeg

5FE9BD4A-3EE0-4F42-8223-5FA0126A4A9B.jpeg

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

Those are my two go to dishes with crawfish tails. I used Paul Prudhomme’s enchilada recipe...glorious!

I use a recipe a friend gave me for crawfish pasta. The original recipe was Guliano’s Crawfish Pasta recipe. Creamy. Flavorful. Crawfish.

9C7CE902-D032-4BEE-9EBF-C54C41018B1A.jpeg

1F5A220A-28A1-42E3-8578-F24D2371EF95.jpeg

32195D89-463B-41FF-A793-B49382143A62.jpeg

5FE9BD4A-3EE0-4F42-8223-5FA0126A4A9B.jpeg

I'm not going to "react" to this because neither the "love" nor "thanks" even remotely approach an appropriate expression of love or gratitude. 

Apologies if you've provided the pasta recipe before... I think maybe you have... but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I'm putting eyes on the enchilada recipe. I'm pretty sure I have to make that the first free weekend coming up. 

I can offer one thing on the tortillas. If you have a Misto for olive oil, I've found that you can beautifully prepare the corn tortillas by misting them with that and then browning them in a hot, dry cast iron skillet. Less mess and grease. They might absorb just a little more sauce than if prepared via the "deep frying" method, but it's a trade-off I'm glad to make. 

Brother, again, thank you!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not going to "react" to this because neither the "love" nor "thanks" even remotely approach an appropriate expression of love or gratitude. 

Apologies if you've provided the pasta recipe before... I think maybe you have... but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I'm putting eyes on the enchilada recipe. I'm pretty sure I have to make that the first free weekend coming up. 

I can offer one thing on the tortillas. If you have a Misto for olive oil, I've found that you can beautifully prepare the corn tortillas by misting them with that and then browning them in a hot, dry cast iron skillet. Less mess and grease. They might absorb just a little more sauce than if prepared via the "deep frying" method, but it's a trade-off I'm glad to make. 

Brother, again, thank you!

Dude. I know I violated some copyright laws with that picture, but that recipe is 🔥. I’ll risk it.

Noted in the tortilla rec. Full disclosure, I thought I had corn tortillas at home but when assembly time came...flour was all I had. It was still delicious.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
Spelling is fundamental
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dude. I know I violated some copyright laws with that picture, but Athat recipe is 🔥. I’ll risk it.

Noted in the tortilla rec. Full disclosure, I though I had corn tortillas at home but when assembly time came...flour was all I had. It was still delicious.

Tell Chef Paul I've spent a lot of money on his other products. There's probably some marketing research out there that confirms a fat man and the word "Louisiana" on the packaging will move at least 33% more units. 

• Love 1

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Tell Chef Paul I've spent a lot of money on his other products. There's probably some marketing research out there that confirms a fat man and the word "Louisiana" on the packaging will move at least 33% more units. 

44E166BD-94C6-4C3A-A6B5-7CC9D7EC17D8.jpeg

• Love 1

Old school west coast enamel peeler. All the C hops + simcoe just to make sure you get the full aspirin treatment. Really good beer. Also, I love that a brewery can get away with nothing but a name, style and hop profile on the can. What a time we live in.

PXL_20210527_221614142.jpg

• Love 1

14 hours ago, fredst said:

No pics but the having a Westbrook Gose tonight. That is a damn good beer…

Much like KBS, the "original"* is still the best. 

*Neither were literally the original, but both were the original in the same way that the Beatles or Elvis were. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Much like KBS, the "original"* is still the best. 

*Neither were literally the original, but both were the original in the same way that the Beatles or Elvis were. 

I could probably rotate that, Ghost in the Machine, and Great Divide Yeti (the original, unflavored imperial stout version) depending on the season of the year and never really need another beer

Edited by fredst
  • Love 2