Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

Collab beer from Great Raft and Seventh Tap in Shreveport. “There Goes the Neighborhood “ west coast IPA. Very nicely done beer. I think it needs to be a bit hoppier to be in the wheelhouse of that style, but I may be a little off. Either way, it’s a delicious, clean tasting beer. 

1838171C-A3EE-4975-ACBD-FFF48D192701.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

With the weather warming I've been disappointed by the lack of activity in this thread. I was counting on some people educating me some more. @McLoofus@Tiger Refuge….that's right, I'm looking at yall. @ShocksMyBraingetting a pass with the new house....

Noted...

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

With the weather warming I've been disappointed by the lack of activity in this thread. I was counting on some people educating me some more. @McLoofus@Tiger Refuge….that's right, I'm looking at yall. @ShocksMyBraingetting a pass with the new house....

Hopefully I discover some good, low grav beach beers this weekend. 

I'm just not drinking the quantity anymore and find myself retreating to dependable favorites. On the former part of that, I'm drinking less period, and devoting more of my consumption to wine, spirits and cocktails. On the latter, it's partially because I fear I'm getting older and more set in my ways, but also <rant about current beer trends deleted>.

I'll look for some fruited sours tomorrow and report back. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'll look for some fruited sours tomorrow and report back

Had one two nights ago that I enjoyed. Will repeat this pm and send pic and report

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the beer from last pm. Pretty good taste although not as bold as some sours; can definitely taste the cherry which is nice. Lower gravity at 6.5% (maybe why the taste isn’t quite as bold?). Worth trying again I think:

9CD4EF39-DDD0-4C0D-BCF5-94EE35AB423D.jpeg

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, fredst said:

Here’s the beer from last pm. Pretty good taste although not as bold as some sours; can definitely taste the cherry which is nice. Lower gravity at 6.5% (maybe why the taste isn’t quite as bold?). Worth trying again I think:

9CD4EF39-DDD0-4C0D-BCF5-94EE35AB423D.jpeg

Those guys do a good job. 

6.5 is actually on the high side for a lot of true sour styles. Lambics, goses, berliner weisses, etc- all typically under 5.0. So I wouldn't think that the ABV is driving the "boldness". And I don't think that adding more fruit during fermentation raises the ABV. (It seems like it could because more sugar, but I don't think it does.) 

So that's a very curious situation. Was there a date on the can? Maybe it's just a little older and some of the fruit flavor has worn off?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Those guys do a good job. 

6.5 is actually on the high side for a lot of true sour styles. Lambics, goses, berliner weisses, etc- all typically under 5.0. So I wouldn't think that the ABV is driving the "boldness". And I don't think that adding more fruit during fermentation raises the ABV. (It seems like it could because more sugar, but I don't think it does.) 

So that's a very curious situation. Was there a date on the can? Maybe it's just a little older and some of the fruit flavor has worn off?

Maybe so, didn’t think to check the dates. Seems like most of the sours I’ve had over the last year or so have been 8-9% (like Sour Monkey is 9% I think). Anyway, I thought the beer was good enough to do again (like probably tonight, lol)

Tangent to that thought: Samuel Adams made (or makes) a cranberry lambic that I like(d) but can never find in my parts. 

Edited by fredst

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

Maybe so, didn’t think to check the dates. Seems like most of the sours I’ve had over the last year or so have been 8-9% (like Sour Monkey is 9% I think). Anyway, I thought the beer was good enough to do again (like probably tonight, lol)

Tangent to that thought: Samuel Adams made (or makes) a cranberry lambic that I like(d) but can never find in my parts. 

I'll look for that Sam brew. They get a bad rap for being big and not pushing the envelope. I wish more breweries focused as much as they do on quality.

Sour Monkey- is that the Victory beer? I think that's a soured quad, maybe? Regardless, you're right, there are a lot of high grav beers now that have a soured component to them. And by "soured" I mean actual brett(anomyces) in the brew and not just tart cherries or citrus or something.  

This is getting me fired up for my beer run in a few.

• Love 2

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'll look for that Sam brew. They get a bad rap for being big and not pushing the envelope. I wish more breweries focused as much as they do on quality.

Sour Monkey- is that the Victory beer? I think that's a soured quad, maybe? Regardless, you're right, there are a lot of high grav beers now that have a soured component to them. And by "soured" I mean actual brett(anomyces) in the brew and not just tart cherries or citrus or something.  

This is getting me fired up for my beer run in a few.

Did you say sour Bret?

669A8BAF-0B7B-4BA4-AF92-7D9D2F7C33FF.png

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Did you say sour Bret?

669A8BAF-0B7B-4BA4-AF92-7D9D2F7C33FF.png

We really should have been more comfortable with the trans thing decades ago. I had a huge crush on Rikki Rocket. Once I realized they were dudes, I shifted my crush to CC Deville because he totally shredded. \m/

PS- Need a 3 laughy face reaction

PPSS- Made my beer run. Nice mix of old favorite from Creature Comforts- Trop, Tritonia (their cucumber gose), and Athena Paradiso (cranberry berliner weisse)- and several of the more en trende fruited sours, whose names and exact fruit combinations escape me ATM. I do remember that at least one of them is from Untitled Art, and then another is from some brewery in Wisconsin that I've never heard of, but one rule-ish of thumb that I've adopted is that if the brewery is in Wisconsin or Mighigan and there is fruit in the beer, then chances are it's better than the fruited beer that's not from Wisconsin or Michigan. Humble Forager! That's the name of the Wisconsin brewery.

Almost all were under 5%. I'll try to check in over the weekend with each. 

You dudes dropping beer knowledge and some Poison in a thread. This rose doesn’t have any thorns by damn! I love this forum! WWWWOOOOOO!!!LFG!!!!!

• Love 2

June 25, 1988, a young T. Refuge entered the Mississippi State Fairgrounds Coliseum armed with a Metallica shirt, some cash, and a pack of Marlboro reds ready to rock at his first concert. The “Skyscraper” tour featuring one David Lee Roth, and opening for him, Poison. I can still smell the aquanet. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

June 25, 1988, a young T. Refuge entered the Mississippi State Fairgrounds Coliseum armed with a Metallica shirt, some cash, and a pack of Marlboro reds ready to rock at his first concert. The “Skyscraper” tour featuring one David Lee Roth, and opening for him, Poison. I can still smell the aquanet. 

I trust you were super careful lighting those cowboy killers! "Their hair really is on fire and their asses really is catchin'!" Speaking of body parts I'm guessing you saw that night...

Going the opposite direction, and I think I've mentioned this in the music forum, my first concert was that same year, but it was Metallica at BJCC, and Queensryche opened. I don't think it's necessarily an insult to Queensryche to say that was unfortunate billing. 

But back to those Marlboro reds... IN 88?!?! No wonder you're not scared of a little forest fire smoke inhalation. My man card lay in tiny pieces at your feet!

I can still taste the Picayune no-filters I smoked in 1993. Not even kidding. I taste them right now. Immediate recall. Bought a pack on a lark in Baton Rouge. Made out with a 42 yr old woman that night after spilling a beer on her. I was 18 when the weekend began. I was Sam Elliott by the time it was over.

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

This thread is getting better and making me feel inferior all at the same time 

Finally, maybe I have inflicted upon you just a sliver of the envy that I feel anytime you talk about your fishing trips.

For the uninitiated, his fishing trips involve grizzly bears.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Finally, maybe I have inflicted upon you just a sliver of the envy that I feel anytime you talk about your fishing trips.

For the uninitiated, his fishing trips involve grizzly bears.

Dude, I’ve got a trip booked to the Seychelles for 3/22. I am so pumped. Not as good as y’all’s concert and make-out experiences but it’s the best I can do. This is what I’m looking for:

• Love 2

33 minutes ago, fredst said:

Dude, I’ve got a trip booked to the Seychelles for 3/22. I am so pumped. Not as good as y’all’s concert and make-out experiences but it’s the best I can do. This is what I’m looking for:

We really need a sholy hit reaction.

I'm not really a fishing guy unless I'm around other people who are, but that video got me fired up. Not just the location, but that depiction of fishing that awesome fish! That seems like for real bucket list stuff. Hemingway meets... Actually, just Hemingway. 

Dude! You're really doing that?!?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

We really need a sholy hit reaction.

I'm not really a fishing guy unless I'm around other people who are, but that video got me fired up. Not just the location, but that depiction of fishing that awesome fish! That seems like for real bucket list stuff. Hemingway meets... Actually, just Hemingway. 

Dude! You're really doing that?!?

Yes. It is a trip that I’ve been dreaming about since I first read about the fishery -15 years ago. The Somali pirates put a damper on it for a couple of years, lol; hard to take trips like that when you have little ones.  Dudes I fished with in Alaska talked it up as they’ve been a few times. Wife-st finally told me: You need to do that. I did not take much convincing 

• Love 2

27 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yes. It is a trip that I’ve been dreaming about since I first read about the fishery -15 years ago. The Somali pirates put a damper on it for a couple of years, lol; hard to take trips like that when you have little ones.  Dudes I fished with in Alaska talked it up as they’ve been a few times. Wife-st finally told me: You need to do that. I did not take much convincing 

You should marry her!

Nah, that's amazing. I can't wait to hear about it and see pics, even if they're someone else's because your hands were too busy with your rod...

Just gonna leave that right there.

• Haha 2

See...there IS a reason I love this particular thread. Dammit @fredstthat trip looks beautiful! I think you and i have discussed Kodiak Is in the past perhaps? Anyway, gotdammit I expect pics galore when you go. One of our most amazing refuges is Midway Atoll. Totally a dream trip for me. It's where Wisdom the oldest bird in the world nests every year. I can only imagine how remote and alone that place is. Just perfect.

• Love 2

So perhaps I was a beer or three in when I posted the above. 

Seriously Fred, that looks like an absolutely amazing trip. Fly fishing has always tugged at me, but I have never done it properly. Oh, I flicked a few poppers out on a farm pond, but no formal instruction. Every year we go to the Smokies and every year I say I'm gonna do a guided trip. Guess I just need to bite the bullet and do it. 

On tap from last night, a pastry stout growler that was fridge turding from October(not bad, not good either), a *clearsthroat* white chocolate raspberry cake IPA from Tin Roof brewing. Not bad either. And to round things off, a Final Resting Place DIPA from Flying Tiger. Oh and steaks again...

B4544041-7CB5-40F5-A6CB-78A6C438BC13.jpeg

10E2D0BD-E12B-4FAF-B147-6C5A0FC57833.jpeg

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Haha 1