Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

On 3/13/2021 at 10:38 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Wow. A lot going on there. Not that I have skin in the game, but has a bit of an "enemy of enemy is friend" vibe to it. 

I wonder if Texas municipalities were willing/able to bend some of the rules with to-go, delivery, etc like some other areas did. Necessity mothered some pretty cool inventions this last year. Like the Port Royal Community Beer Garden. Just a bit of land that was turned into an open air bar. Finally made it across the Sound to visit yesterday. Pictured is Over Yonder IPA from Salt Marsh, which is a local brewpub with a couple locations. Beer truck, food trucks, small stage, on the water next to a boat launch and the run/bike trail that goes all through Beaufort County... all a response to Covid. There's another one popping up in Bluffton, which is much closer to us. Oh, the IPA was fantastic. Basically an unfiltered West Coast IPA with a splash of modern hop flavors. 

PXL_20210314_204034901.jpg

• Like 1

Bought this one in NC last summer. Holy crap, what a great beer. Super dry with just a perfect hit of peach. Not overly sweet. I’m gonna have to see if I can get my hands on more of this.

9A54D91E-D86F-4B18-B3D9-A555DE7FA87E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Another super solid local offering. These boys have really dialed it in the last 18 months. They are brewing consistently fantastic IPAs/DIPAs.

This beer tastes amazingly clean. Not overly  heavy like a lot of DIPAs can be. The edges have been smoothed, almost like an oated beer. My first with this particular hop variety as well.

9262B05B-8618-40C2-A7D8-72DDDBA6FA7F.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 10:52 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

Bought this one in NC last summer. Holy crap, what a great beer. Super dry with just a perfect hit of peach. Not overly sweet. I’m gonna have to see if I can get my hands on more of this.

9A54D91E-D86F-4B18-B3D9-A555DE7FA87E.jpeg

That label tho 😍

On 3/20/2021 at 8:09 PM, fredst said:

Pretty good way to ring in the first day of spring:

148DD748-57E8-48AE-AF50-D54676611EF7.jpeg

That glass tho 😍

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/22/2021 at 11:40 AM, McLoofus said:

That label tho 😍

That glass tho 😍

That BEER though

• Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Can I just say that Founders hit a damn home run with this one? 

Well....they did.

08CD0B96-3128-4D92-A780-4B40B96AF028.jpeg

Give me some insight on that one (and an apparently salted potato that it went with.).....

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, fredst said:

Give me some insight on that one (and an apparently salted potato that it went with.).....

It’s a bourbon barrel aged porter with vanilla and maple syrup. Very very nicely balanced. Not too sweet and all of the flavors get a nice at bat. It really pours like a stout, to be honest.

Potato. That was a leftover baked potato from steak night. Random weird fact. Until two months ago, I could count on one hand the number of steaks I had cooked at the house in the last ten years. We have eaten steak 7 Fridays in a row. And dammit, I love a good, crisped skin, oven baked potato. With some sour cream, sharp cheddar or smoked Gouda and fresh chopped chives.

*disclaimer-I am an unabashed fanboy of Founders BBA program. I have always loved the majority of their stuff.

• Love 2

29 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It’s a bourbon barrel aged porter with vanilla and maple syrup. Very very nicely balanced. Not too sweet and all of the flavors get a nice at bat. It really pours like a stout, to be honest.

Potato. That was a leftover baked potato from steak night. Random weird fact. Until two months ago, I could count on one hand the number of steaks I had cooked at the house in the last ten years. We have eaten steak 7 Fridays in a row. And dammit, I love a good, crisped skin, oven baked potato. With some sour cream, sharp cheddar or smoked Gouda and fresh chopped chives.

*disclaimer-I am an unabashed fanboy of Founders BBA program. I have always loved the majority of their stuff.

A steak on my BGE with about anything (but especially a Ghost in the Machine as the weather warms up) is so my jam. I shouldn’t but I do it about every other week

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

A steak on my BGE with about anything (but especially a Ghost in the Machine as the weather warms up) is so my jam. I shouldn’t but I do it about every other week

My wife devolved a pretty severe case of anemia. She was the prompt for the increase steak consumption. We keep ours simple. Brushed with EVOO, salt, fresh cracked black pepper and a light dusting of garlic powder. A little butter rubbed on during cooking. Cooked medium rare. I’ve always been a ribeye guy, but a good, marbled strip is hard to beat. And GITM is never getting kicked out of bed in my house. That’s a staple.

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

My wife devolved a pretty severe case of anemia. She was the prompt for the increase steak consumption. We keep ours simple. Brushed with EVOO, salt, fresh cracked black pepper and a light dusting of garlic powder. A little butter rubbed on during cooking. Cooked medium rare. I’ve always been a ribeye guy, but a good, marbled strip is hard to beat. And GITM is never getting kicked out of bed in my house. That’s a staple.

Bone-in ribeye or strip for me; kosher salt and cracked pepper both sides, crushed fresh garlic on one side. Get BGE up to 6-700, 2minutes each side then close vents and leave for another app. 4 minutes. Pull and rest in foil for 5 minutes or so. Soooo good....

Damn, I’m making myself hungry and I just finished dinner

• Love 2

I'm a cast iron on the stove, finish in the oven guy. One minute hot on each side for the sear, about 5 minutes in the oven at 400 or so. (Depends on what else I'm cooking. I might have potatoes or bread or something in the oven, also.) Foil rest for 5. 

I've usually just been olive oil, salt and pepper, but Ma Loof likes a little garlic and I'm warming up to it. I might also pull a couple sprigs of rosemary and lay them on the steaks for the oven finishing. Just enough for some aroma. Y'all know how rosemary do. Also trying to remember to get a little butter involved like Refuge said. Been enjoying zins with steak lately.

I'm with you guys on the preferred cuts, although those wagyu filets we got for V day are hard to forget. 

@Tiger Refuge, totally agreed about Founders's BBA game. For me it's them and Firestone Walker, and FSW doesn't distribute on this side of the country, sooo.... I will absolutely hop on that beer if I see it. Exactly the kind of review and beer I'm looking for. Damn.

@fredst, funny you bring up GITM. I drove in this morning trying to think of how I was going to word my confession to you guys. Last night I poured a GITM in the glass and... fell asleep. Woke up with a full glass of beer on the bedside table. My first thought was, "I hope that wasn't a Ghost in the Machine." Smelled it and my heart sank. Walked into the kitchen to start the coffee and saw the incriminating empty sitting on the counter. Cuff me and take me to the hooskow, officer. I'm a menace to society.  :(  In my defense.. but also witness for the prosecution... we had negronis last night. And Ma Loof also whipped up a mezcal twist on a manhattan. I suppose we were on a mission. 

In happier news, my spot also has some quad DDH Envie in right now and that stuff is drinking so fresh and so clean. 

Good lord, this post is long. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

And dammit, I love a good, crisped skin, oven baked potato. With some sour cream, sharp cheddar or smoked Gouda and fresh chopped chives.

If the amazing outdoor office thing ever gets old, you could have a nice career in making people want to eat a baked potato. Smoked gouda... why have I never?!?!?! 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm a cast iron on the stove, finish in the oven guy. One minute hot on each side for the sear, about 5 minutes in the oven at 400 or so. (Depends on what else I'm cooking. I might have potatoes or bread or something in the oven, also.) Foil rest for 5. 

Pull that fella out of the oven and baste with some butter and thyme for a couple of minutes in that hot skillet then rest. Will remind you a bit of Ruth’s Chris but it will be better because it will be a McLoofus

And, not quoted but noted: I will forgive one GITM gone to seed but, dude......

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

TIA for naming my memoirs. 

Already copyrighted lol. Thought I would claim it since “9-1/2 Weeks” was taken

Edited by fredst
  • Haha 1